DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Dr. Mike Heiser on Noah's Flood

Post by DBowling »

timsoh wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:34 pm
DBowling wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:14 pm Here is a good article from our host site...
The Genesis Flood Why the Bible Says It Must be Local
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
I can truthfully say that I have read the article a few times, and drafted my response and revised it as much; perhaps because I’m a newbie. I cannot help but find the interpretive technique used in the article to be similar to the serpent’s “you will not surely die” (perhaps stressing immediacy).
Well... I happen to believe that they did in fact 'die' immediately, but that's a topic for another day
Jesus said, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations!” and “this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the world, as a testimony to all the nations; and then the end will come.” Using this interpretive technique, you would quench the zeal of churches, missionaries and bible translators by parsing these verses to justify that Jesus never meant literally every people group or tongue. You can never find any place in the Bible where “all nations” meant global, every people group or tongue.
You are attempting to draw a false equivalence where none exists...
Different words, different context, different language, different scope.

How about we look at something that is actually within both the immediate scope and context of the flood narrative.
Genesis 8:6-7
6 After forty days Noah opened a window he had made in the ark 7 and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth (erets).
Genesis 8:14
14 By the twenty-seventh day of the second month the earth (erets) was completely dry.
What can Genesis 8:7, 14 tell us say about the scope of 'the earth' (erets) within the immediate context of the flood narrative?
Does Genesis 8:7 claim that water dried up from the whole planet?
Does Genesis 8:14 claim that the whole planet was dry?
(To this day 71% of our planet is covered by water)

Yet again... the immediate context is critical to understanding the Scriptural scope of Noah's Flood.
When Tradition is inconsistent with Scripture, we need to give priority to what the Scriptural text actually says.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Dr. Mike Heiser on Noah's Flood

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:26 am
Stu wrote:
Heiser says that the Bible promotes a flat stationary earth that has a dome over it. That's what it states, he believes that.

He just says that it is wrong and the people that wrote it knew no better.

Whether you believe the Bible promotes a flat stationary earth is not the point, Heiser believes it but just says that the Bible is wrong because man wrote it who had no knowledge of a round moving earth.
I definitely missed that. Do you have the link where he actually says that? I’d like to see what he’s talking about.
Sorry it was part of a video that I watched a while back.

I think he makes the same point in the link that you provided though, read through the whole thing. He is pretty agro toward the flat earthers but he pretty well does say that he admits the Bible says flat earth.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.