Bible Studies
theophilus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Adam’s rib

Post by theophilus »

The Bible tells us that God made Eve out of one of Adam’s ribs.

The LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
Genesis 2:21-22 ESV

This account is so clear that there can be no doubt about what happened. God removed a bone from Adam’s side and replaced it with flesh. He then transformed that bone into Eve, the first woman.

But there may be more to the story than that. I have seen Bibles in which there is a footnote to the word “rib” saying that it can also mean “part of a side”. And here is something I found on the site gotquestions.org.
Why did God use Adam’s rib? A closer examination of the Hebrew also reveals another surprising element of the story. The Hebrew word translated “rib” in Genesis 2 is tsela. The only other instance of the English word rib in the Bible occurs in Daniel 7:5, but the Hebrew word used there is different. In other passages where tsela or its variants are used, the word is translated “side.” For example, in Exodus 25, 27, and 35, the words tselo (variant) and tselot (plural) are used to refer to the “sides” of the Ark of the Covenant or the “sides” of the altar. In 2 Samuel 16:13, David encounters a cursing Shimei moving along the side (tsela) of a hill. In these contexts, translating the word tsela as “rib” would not fit.

This raises the possibility that Eve could have been fashioned of more than just Adam’s rib. In the Genesis 2 passage, tsela could actually be translated as Adam’s “side,” rather than Adam’s “rib.” If the appropriate translation is that God removed Adam’s side, how much of his side did God remove? It is possible that Eve was constructed literally from half of Adam. This would bring added meaning to Adam’s declaration that Eve was “bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh” (Genesis 2:23).
http://www.gotquestions.org/Adams-rib.html

If Eve was made from Adam’s side rather than just his rib, what did that side consist of? We can find a possible answer by examining the details of how Adam and Eve were created.

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
Genesis 1:26-28 ESV

God created man as both male and female on the sixth day. The second chapter of Genesis describes this creation in more detail. First God created Adam.

The LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.
Genesis 2:7 ESV

After this God made a garden and put Adam in charge of it. He then had Adam give names to all of the animals and birds. It was only after this that he made Eve. It seems unlikely that all of this could have been accomplished in a single day. If Eve was not created on the sixth day the only way man could be created male and female would be for Adam to have been androgynous, both male and female. The “side” or “rib” that was used to make Eve was the female part of him.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Adam’s rib

Post by RickD »

theophilus wrote:The Bible tells us that God made Eve out of one of Adam’s ribs.

The LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.

This account is so clear that there can be no doubt about what happened. God removed a bone from Adam’s side and replaced it with flesh. He then transformed that bone into Eve, the first woman.

But there may be more to the story than that. I have seen Bibles in which there is a footnote to the word “rib” saying that it can also mean “part of a side”. And here is something I found on the site gotquestions.org.
Why did God use Adam’s rib? A closer examination of the Hebrew also reveals another surprising element of the story. The Hebrew word translated “rib” in Genesis 2 is tsela. The only other instance of the English word rib in the Bible occurs in Daniel 7:5, but the Hebrew word used there is different. In other passages where tsela or its variants are used, the word is translated “side.” For example, in Exodus 25, 27, and 35, the words tselo (variant) and tselot (plural) are used to refer to the “sides” of the Ark of the Covenant or the “sides” of the altar. In 2 Samuel 16:13, David encounters a cursing Shimei moving along the side (tsela) of a hill. In these contexts, translating the word tsela as “rib” would not fit.

This raises the possibility that Eve could have been fashioned of more than just Adam’s rib. In the Genesis 2 passage, tsela could actually be translated as Adam’s “side,” rather than Adam’s “rib.” If the appropriate translation is that God removed Adam’s side, how much of his side did God remove? It is possible that Eve was constructed literally from half of Adam. This would bring added meaning to Adam’s declaration that Eve was “bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh” (Genesis 2:23).

If Eve was made from Adam’s side rather than just his rib, what did that side consist of? We can find a possible answer by examining the details of how Adam and Eve were created.

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

God created man as both male and female on the sixth day. The second chapter of Genesis describes this creation in more detail. First God created Adam.

The LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.

After this God made a garden and put Adam in charge of it. He then had Adam give names to all of the animals and birds. It was only after this that he made Eve. It seems unlikely that all of this could have been accomplished in a single day. If Eve was not created on the sixth day the only way man could be created male and female would be for Adam to have been androgynous, both male and female. The “side” or “rib” that was used to make Eve was the female part of him.
:pound: You :pound: can't possibly :pound: be serious. :pound:

So, you now realize that the YEC argument of the 6th day being literally 24 hours, seems unlikely, because Adam couldn't possibly name all the animals in 24 hours. But instead of taking a logical step, and just taking yom to mean something longer than a 24 hour day, you say Adam was created both male and female?

Good God man! If this isn't the most ridiculous argument, just to dogmatically hold to literal 24 hour creation days, even when you yourself admit that it's unlikely that the 6th day was 24 hours.

Is this the depth one goes to when one won't give up a dogmatically held view, even when his own mind tells him he's wrong?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Theo wrote:God created man as both male and female on the sixth day.
My question is, if Adam leaves the seat up ... does he get really angry at himself ? y:-? y#-o y/:]
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The passage of:

Doesn't equate to be androgynous because people with both sexes CAN'T reproduce.
Man refers to Mankind.
That they were created Male and female means that there were two different genders.
If it was ONE gender with BOTH sexes it would have been written like this:
As both male and female He created man/him.
Note that it says male and female he created THEM while before that it says "him".
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

Maybe hermaphroditism is the sign of the true elect . y:-?
pulvis sum
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:
Hey wait. Is this sarcasm?
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

RickD wrote:
HappyFlappyEnabler wrote:
Hey wait. Is this sarcasm?
Yes dum dum
pulvis sum
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

theophilus wrote:The Bible tells us that God made Eve out of one of Adam’s ribs.

There is another interpretation you might want to consider also. In Genesis Chapter 1 when God created male and female,he created all of the races at that time except for the race of Adam and Eve that he created in Genesis chapter 2,he created Adam and Eve in Genesis chapter 2 because this is the race Christ would be eventually born through. Just something else to consider.One reason why this interpretation is so appealing is genetically it is impossible for all of the different races of humans to come from just one race Adam and Eve,but also you don't have to say incest was going on before God laid down the incest laws eventually.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Here is a the newest take on this subject...

The Adam and Eve Story: Eve Came From Where?

Well...

:swhat:

No more said
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

B. W. wrote:Here is a the newest take on this subject...

Well...

No more said
-
-
-
Is that why its called a bo... no, best not. sorry.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:

Well...

No more said
-
-
-
:shakehead: :fryingpan:

y:D
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by Storyteller »

RickD wrote:
Storyteller wrote:

Well...

No more said
-
-
-
:shakehead: :fryingpan:

y:D
I'll get my coat. :troll:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Am spending Easter doing a lot of bible reading, and from a new bible I got … it's a study bible from the faith … RSV 2CE Study bible. It's wonderful, like reading the NT all over again with new eyes.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:Am spending Easter doing a lot of bible reading, and from a new bible I got … it's a study bible from the faith … RSV 2CE Study bible. It's wonderful, like reading the NT all over again with new eyes.
What's different about that version, from the other ones you've read? Is it just easier to understand?

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

I just looked it up and found out it's a Catholic Bible. So apparently you're Catholic. It simply has more books in it than the KJV or NKJ or NIV