God's Sense of Humor - Examples Please!

Got some good and clean jokes to share? Everyone likes a laugh.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

God's Sense of Humor - Examples Please!

Post by Philip »

Looking for examples in Scripture and otherwise of God's sense of humor - please contribute!

I was recently thinking a lot about man's God-like attributes (though obviously diminished) that are obvious in humans' diverse and unique abilities, interests, inventions, love of beauty, art, design, science, etc. One attribute is that, universally, no matter their culture or time, humans like to laugh; we are continuously seeking and creating humor. Obviously God created this incredible ability and desire in us - to both create and appreciate humor and to express and share laughter. And so it's clear to me that God himself appreciates and must have a grand sense of humor. But I think we read through Scripture and mostly miss it - God, Jesus, his prophets and apostles all seem to ONLY be intense and serious. But as Jesus and God's intermediaries were also human, they certainly also each had a sense of humor. Let's list some examples of those.

Comment on some aspect of God/Jesus', His Creation, Scriptural examples, the prophets, apostles, Bible writers, etc reflecting God's sense of humor:
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: God's Sense of Humor - Examples Please!

Post by PaulSacramento »

I don't think we have any verse that state that God has a sense of humour per say, though creating some people may indicate otherwise LOL !
BUT in regards to joy and laughter we have verses like:

http://www.openbible.info/topics/humor_and_laughter

Psalm 126:2

Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.”

Romans 12:15 ESV

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

Proverbs 17:22 ESV

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

How else can you explain the 80s. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Well, we do know that God laughs at human folly: "He who sits in the heavens laughs, The Lord scoffs at them." (Psalm 2:4)

And there's "a time to weep and a time to laugh." (Ecclesiastes 3:4)

Yet, unfortunately, people watching nitwit sitcoms apparently need a laugh track so that they will know when they should be laughing :roll: (probably because such shows are typically idiotic and not the least bit funny).
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

I was reading Isaiah 57:12, 13 this morning and noticed an example of God's sense of humor. In this passage, God is ironic when He tells Jewish idolaters to trust in their wood & stone idols in their hour of need. Read Isaiah 57: 3-13 for the full context.

FL :ebiggrin:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +