Light Beer is Unbiblical

Got some good and clean jokes to share? Everyone likes a laugh.
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Light Beer is Unbiblical

Post by B. W. »

A little humor...
Isaiah 1:22
Posted on October 21, 2011 by Derek Leman
http://www.messianicjudaism.me/musings/ ... saiah-122/

For the Daily Isaiah notes I send out I was busy translating Isaiah 1:22 last night. I discovered that light beer is unbiblical. Find out how I reached this conclusion.

Isaiah 1:22
כספך היה לסיגים
Your silver has become dross

Note: the verb hayah with le signifies “become.”

סבאך מהול במים
Your beer diluted with water.

Note: the noun sovei is a kind of drink, some say wine, but Holladay says “suggestion: beer.”

Jerusalem doesn't need dross in its silver and neither does it need its beer diluted with water. So there you have it!
y:O2
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Light Beer is Unbiblical

Post by PaulSacramento »

If the bible says it is so, then it is so !!
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Yes! And MOST beer liked by Americans looks and tastes as if it has come right out of a horse! (And this is not a political statement!)
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Philip,
That is really just from those main line commercial brewers. The US is now ripe with genuine gourmet brew. However, there are still plenty of senseless renecks who will buy horse p+++ as you say.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Jlay, no doubt there are plenty of great American craft beers. But when I think of the beer I drank as a kid - Bud, etc., the beer of American commercials - it's truly awful stuff. And as for DRAFT beer sold in bars - I think I actually rather drink horse pee. I rarely drink anything other than an occasional wine with a meal or craft beer. I love many of the dark, sweet, richly flavored beers of Europe. Drink one of exceptional taste and body and I really don't want another for quite a while - as they're typically very rich and filling. They are to be slowly sipped and savored, enjoying the complexity and nuances as they strike the taste buds (the only "buds" I truly care about). If kids were taught to respect and understand quality beers and wines, to appreciate the knowledge and craftsmanship behind them, and to slowly savor them, I don't think nearly as many would view beer or wine as something to aspire to get roaring drunk with.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote:when I think of the beer I drank as a kid - Bud, etc., the beer of American commercials - it's truly awful stuff
Bud is actually a decent commercial beer, an American icon, and is sold around the world. It is sort-of the Roman Catholicism of beer: it is beer, it's OK if you're not into beer, and you can find it all over. If you like beer, Bud is OK when you're stuck in Vientiane or Ouagadougou because it's quality that is known. And on a hot day, Bud refreshes better than a craft beer that assails you with flavors and unctuosity and sweetness and astringency.
Philip wrote:...no doubt there are plenty of great American craft beers.
Of course. America produces the best and the worst of everything.
Philip wrote:If kids were taught to respect and understand quality beers and wines, to appreciate the knowledge and craftsmanship behind them, and to slowly savor them, I don't think nearly as many would view beer or wine as something to aspire to get roaring drunk with.
Ain't gonna happen. Even in France where epicurianism is part of the culture, undisciplined kids still get sloshed.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip wrote:If kids were taught to respect and understand quality beers and wines, to appreciate the knowledge and craftsmanship behind them, and to slowly savor them, I don't think nearly as many would view beer or wine as something to aspire to get roaring drunk with.

Ain't gonna happen. Even in France where epicurianism is part of the culture, undisciplined kids still get sloshed.
Sadly, that is probably true, as such teaching, to be more effective, needs to also include an understanding of God's laws and warnings against the perils of drunkenness. As wherever there is no respect for or teaching of respect for God and His laws, kids are going to do whatever they want. They only think, "why NOT get smashed - it's a lot of fun, isn't it? And always remaining sober - how boring is that!" For many youth, getting smashed is an easy escape from the monotony of their daily lives. Same with smoking pot and other drugs. I came from Baptist parents that never drank a drop, and who sternly warned against such. But through my youthful peers, I absorbed the equating of ANY drinking with a chance to catch a buzz. To my teenage self, "MODERATE drinking" was an oxymoron. To enjoy a small quantity of beer or wine, slowly, responsibly - that just wasn't the message that my peers were emphasizing. And my parents' attitude about alcohol may well have propelled me to the opposite extreme.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I have no doubt you are right, philip, but I have to confess that I don't get that. I was a teetotaler until my wedding day. Since then, I've come to enjoy a glass of wine on occasion or, every once in awhile, something like a Long Island or glass of Jack Daniels. I've never been drunk, but I have been slightly buzzed two times, and for me, it was a terrible feeling. I don't know why anyone would enjoy that at all. I don't like feeling dizzy, and I could clear tell that my mind was a little slower, a feeling I'm extremely familiar with as I spend a lot of time on Benadryl--that stuff doesn't just make me sleepy; it makes it so I can't even think straight.

Obviously, people do enjoy it. But people obviously enjoy the taste of beer, too, which I hate. It's just the weirdest thing for me to have to acknowledge something on the force of facts but be completely lost as to how anyone could be true from an experiential sense. I also have to admit that I have to fight off arguments with myself like, "No, they really don't enjoy it. They just say they do because they get this or that other thing out of the experience."

Meh. Drinking really is a pleasure in moderation. Drinking in excess is just awful. Sorry. Not interested.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:I have no doubt you are right, philip, but I have to confess that I don't get that. I was a teetotaler until my wedding day. Since then, I've come to enjoy a glass of wine on occasion or, every once in awhile, something like a Long Island or glass of Jack Daniels. I've never been drunk, but I have been slightly buzzed two times, and for me, it was a terrible feeling. I don't know why anyone would enjoy that at all. I don't like feeling dizzy, and I could clear tell that my mind was a little slower, a feeling I'm extremely familiar with as I spend a lot of time on Benadryl--that stuff doesn't just make me sleepy; it makes it so I can't even think straight.

Obviously, people do enjoy it. But people obviously enjoy the taste of beer, too, which I hate. It's just the weirdest thing for me to have to acknowledge something on the force of facts but be completely lost as to how anyone could be true from an experiential sense. I also have to admit that I have to fight off arguments with myself like, "No, they really don't enjoy it. They just say they do because they get this or that other thing out of the experience."

Meh. Drinking really is a pleasure in moderation. Drinking in excess is just awful. Sorry. Not interested.
I have no doubt you are right, philip, but I have to confess that I don't get that. I was a vegetarian until my wedding day. Since then, I've come to enjoy a steak on occasion or, every once in awhile, a BigMac or a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I've never overdone it, but sometimes all that grease made me feel nauseous, and for me, it was a terrible feeling. I don't know why anyone would enjoy that at all. I don't like feeling nauseous, and I could tell that my mind was a little slower, a feeling I'm extremely familiar with as I spend a lot of time on Benadryl -- that stuff doesn't just make me feel sleepy; it makes it so that I can't even think straight.

Obviously, people do enjoy it. But people obviously like the taste of moose, too, which I hate. It's just the weirdest thing for me to have to acknowledge something on the force of facts but be completely lost as to how anyone could be true from an experiential sense. I also have to fight off arguments with myself like, ''No, they really don't enjoy it. They just say they do because they get this or that other thing out of the experience.''

Meh. Eating meat really is a pleasure in moderation. Eating meat in excess is just awful. Sorry. Not Interested.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I don't get it, FL. :?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I don't get it either. And I usually get his jokes.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Jac3510 wrote:I don't get it, FL. :?
RickD wrote:I don't get it either. And I usually get his jokes.
There was no point. I was just having fun. This is the Humor and Jokes Forum, right? Hello?

However, while I was perverting Jac's post, This came to mind:

My son got back from a trip to Laos about one month ago and his most vivid memory of that wretched place was seeing cages full of dogs being loaded onto a truck, destined for the Chinese market. The Chinese meat market. Each cage was packed so full of dogs that the animals could not move inside. The cages were being handled roughly, thrown about, kicked into place on the truck and stacked one on top of the other. My son said he saw terror in the caged animals' eyes.

Does this make you wince? If so, it's only cultural.

''It's only cultural'' ...I guess that was the idea-in-the-back-of-my-head I had while re-writing Jac's post.

Yeah...that sounds good...excuse me now while I finish my cuppa Earl Grey.

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
My son got back from a trip to Laos about one month ago and his most vivid memory of that wretched place was seeing cages full of dogs being loaded onto a truck, destined for the Chinese market. The Chinese meat market. Each cage was packed so full of dogs that the animals could not move inside. The cages were being handled roughly, thrown about, kicked into place on the truck and stacked one on top of the other. My son said he saw terror in the caged animals' eyes.
FL, this is supposed to be a happy forum. You know, "everyone likes a laugh"? Now I'm stuck with that vivid picture you painted in my head. :twisted:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:FL, this is supposed to be a happy forum. You know, "everyone likes a laugh"? Now I'm stuck with that vivid picture you painted in my head. :twisted:
Sorry. Let this be a lesson to you: you live in a great country, so STOP SCREWING IT UP! ...or you'll become like Laos...only, your evils will be different.

I think Jac may have been traumatized by my description of Laotian meat purveyors. Quick, Jac, mix this up:

Bourbon Tea

-1 cup of Earl Grey tea, freshly infused,
-1oz Kentucky bourbon
-1/2 oz amaretto liqueur
-1 teaspoon sugar
-1 dash of orange juice
-orange zest to taste

Infuse the tea in a teapot. Add the bourbon, the amaretto, the orange juice. Pour into two cups - one for you and one for RickD - ...top with orange zest.

This mixture should help both of you overcome the trauma I've inflicted. Please forgive me!

+ + +

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:America produces the best and the worst of everything.
Why is that?

Why can't you guys just be the best at one thing (like the French) or be mediocre at everything (throw a dart at a map of Africa; where it lands will be your example) or be just ho-hum at most things (any country of the Commonwealth).

Why is America the best and worst at everything?

FL y:-?

+ + +

+ + +