Well, today's the day!

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Well, today's the day!

Post by Philip »

Well, my oldest son, Duncan, is leaving for the Navy today - first to boot camp in Illinois and immediately after that to SEAL trials, in California. We may not see him for nearly a year - and have no idea when he'll even be allowed to text. He just finished his first two years of college, but decided this is what he wanted to do. And he knows it's going to be grueling! He's just the greatest kid - extremely confident, low-key, very spiritually mature (for his age) and physically strong. I wish he could stay close by forever. I'm just surprised how this is affecting me. For some time I have been worried about how my wife would handle it, but surprisingly, I'm the one that's not handling it so well. Oh, how I love that boy! But I guess raising a boy to be a man and to one day leave - well, that's what parents are supposed to do. It's just going to be a tough day around here!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Well, today's the day!

Post by RickD »

With the difficult odds of making it completely through seal training, he'll be back living in your basement within a year.
:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

No basement! Besides that, he signed into the Navy, no matter if he doesn't make it as a seal. But the guys he goes to basic training with are all special-ops commitments - because just to qualify for the seals, you must past rigorous, bi-weekly fitness benchmarks and be offered a contract, well before.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

May I suggest you adopt a dog? Caring for a puppy will take your mind off your son's departure.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Philip wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 am Well, my oldest son, Duncan, is leaving for the Navy today - first to boot camp in Illinois and immediately after that to SEAL trials, in California. We may not see him for nearly a year - and have no idea when he'll even be allowed to text. He just finished his first two years of college, but decided this is what he wanted to do. And he knows it's going to be grueling! He's just the greatest kid - extremely confident, low-key, very spiritually mature (for his age) and physically strong. I wish he could stay close by forever. I'm just surprised how this is affecting me. For some time I have been worried about how my wife would handle it, but surprisingly, I'm the one that's not handling it so well. Oh, how I love that boy! But I guess raising a boy to be a man and to one day leave - well, that's what parents are supposed to do. It's just going to be a tough day around here!
I wish him all the best.I have a younger brother who went into the Navy about a year ago,he sold a bunch of stuff too,he really had his mind set on it as a friend he had convinced him and dad had been in the Navy and encouraged him too, but basic training was too much for him and he did not make it.Instead,he came home and got a good job and he loves it and moved up quick into a management position.I also think he missed his girlfriend who he will probably marry one day.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

ACB wrote:
I have a younger brother who went into the Navy about a year ago
How old are you, ACB?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:37 am Well, my oldest son, Duncan, is leaving for the Navy today - first to boot camp in Illinois and immediately after that to SEAL trials, in California. We may not see him for nearly a year - and have no idea when he'll even be allowed to text. He just finished his first two years of college, but decided this is what he wanted to do. And he knows it's going to be grueling! He's just the greatest kid - extremely confident, low-key, very spiritually mature (for his age) and physically strong. I wish he could stay close by forever. I'm just surprised how this is affecting me. For some time I have been worried about how my wife would handle it, but surprisingly, I'm the one that's not handling it so well. Oh, how I love that boy! But I guess raising a boy to be a man and to one day leave - well, that's what parents are supposed to do. It's just going to be a tough day around here!
Awesome and best of luck.
The camaraderie and brotherhood of the special ops community is great.
Hope all works out.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:10 am No basement! Besides that, he signed into the Navy, no matter if he doesn't make it as a seal. But the guys he goes to basic training with are all special-ops commitments - because just to qualify for the seals, you must past rigorous, bi-weekly fitness benchmarks and be offered a contract, well before.
I wondering, does your son get his determination, drive, and physical ability, from his Mom's side of the family?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I wondering, does your son get his determination, drive, and physical ability, from his Mom's side of the family?
Drive for risk, the unknown and significant potential danger? Not from either of us. Though we both have a history of sports and physical pursuits. I had a dad with a long history with the military - which made me want to avoid it like the plague! He's a strange combination of being very laid back but exceptionally confident and intense.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:10 am
Philip wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:10 am No basement! Besides that, he signed into the Navy, no matter if he doesn't make it as a seal. But the guys he goes to basic training with are all special-ops commitments - because just to qualify for the seals, you must past rigorous, bi-weekly fitness benchmarks and be offered a contract, well before.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ever notice how Rick attempts to project his own sense of personal inadequacies on other people? :P y:-?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:23 am Ever notice how Rick attempts to project his own sense of personal inadequacies on other people? :P y:-?
My son gets all of his good qualities from his mom's side.

Unfortunately, he gets all of his bad qualities from her too.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Smart people adopt their children. That way if your kid turns out to be an axe murderer you can blame it on genetics. If he grows up to win a Nobel prize, then it’s all your doing.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:27 pm Smart people adopt their children. That way if your kid turns out to be an axe murderer you can blame it on genetics. If he grows up to win a Nobel prize, then it’s all your doing.
Smart French Canadians adopt children that ARE NOT French Canadian.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

I married a French woman and I’m bitterly sorry I did wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:06 pm
Smart French Canadians adopt children that ARE NOT French Canadian.
What are you going on about? Have you traded your food stamps for drugs again?
-John Stuart Mill