Louis Theroux

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Louis Theroux

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I went and saw Louis Theroux on stage last night at Hamer hall in Melbourne, if you ever get the chance to see him it is well worth it.

Louis Theroux is a British documentary maker, the types of documentary Louis likes to make are on extremist type groups or areas of society that are darker, most of these are in the USA. Groups like the West Boro Baptist church in "The most hated family in America", the KKK (Louis is has Jewish decent) and his new doco on Scientology "My Scientology Movie".

I loved lightening to him speak and there were many great points he made about the human condition, life, death and the reasons why these groups exist. One things that stuck with me was he talked about the reason why these cults exist and why they treat people poorly, in his opinion people fundamentally want to feel right, because this makes them feel powerful in their own little world and gives them comfort. It stuck me because I have had the exact same thought before, deep down we all have this blackness that wants power, we need to be right to feel this power, I see it in the world and I also see it on this forum and I see it within myself. There is a constant battle going on within us and this is one small part that always sticks out to me and I think it is healthy to recognise that.

There was plenty of other stuff to mull over, but If you are planning to see him I don't want to spoil anything, so I will leave it at that, but I would highly recommend if you have the opportunity to go and hear him speak.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Louis Theroux

Post by RickD »

Did you happen to catch his speech about liberal, fanatical Australian Christians, who promote the persecution of other Christians?

I think you'd enjoy that one.

y~o)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:Did you happen to catch his speech about liberal, fanatical Australian Christians, who promote the persecution of other Christians?

y~o)

I get the distinct feeling that you guys are trying to rile me up, maybe you don't want me here and you prefer an echo chamber of ideas, so you can keep promoting you warped view of Christianity. y:-?

Well it's not going to work, you can hound me across different subjects all you like and pester me until the end of days, but I have the Lord with me as my witness and you will not break me. :ebiggrin:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:Did you happen to catch his speech about liberal, fanatical Australian Christians, who promote the persecution of other Christians?

y~o)

I get the distinct feeling that you guys are trying to rile me up, maybe you don't want me here and you prefer an echo chamber of ideas, so you can keep promoting you warped view of Christianity. y:-?

Well it's not going to work, you can hound me across different subjects all you like and pester me until the end of days, but I have the Lord with me as my witness and you will not break me. :ebiggrin:
Aspergers and schizophrenia?
y:-?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

y~o)

Please don't make fun of people with schizophrenia, my good friend has it and it is not funny at all, period.

You can poke fun at my condition all you like as mine is just a personality type.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

y~o)

Please don't make fun of people with schizophrenia, my good friend has it and it is not funny at all, period.

You can poke fun at my condition all you like as mine is just a personality type.
I wasn't making fun of people with schizophrenia. I was asking you. You seem paranoid.

And, I'm not going to get into a discussion here, about Aspergers being "just a personality type"?

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

y~o)

I wasn't making fun of people with schizophrenia. I was asking you. You seem paranoid.

And, I'm not going to get into a discussion here, about Aspergers being "just a personality type"?

I was joking about the feeling Rick, sheesh, but maybe there is some truth to it, but the only people that would know that are you and K. :lol:

Now stop dragging one topic into another, it is actually quite irritating.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I was joking about the feeling Rick, sheesh, but maybe there is some truth to it, but the only people that would know that are you and K. :lol:

Becoming irritated easily is a sign of Aspergers.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:

Actually no it isn't, but it is a sign of a type 5 personality, we become irritated when we have to repeat ourselves.

I think anyone would be irritated if people followed them around and kept pestering them about a subject that had no relevance to the current situation. :roll:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Actually no it isn't, but it is a sign of a type 5 personality, we become irritated when we have to repeat ourselves.

I think anyone would be irritated if people followed them around and kept pestering them about a subject that had no relevance to the current situation. :roll:
Kinda like someone who keeps saying Christian bakers discriminated on the basis of sexual orientation, even though he admitted that the customer's sexual orientation was irrelevant?

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:

Kinda like someone who keeps saying Christian bakers discriminated on the basis of sexual orientation, even though he admitted that the customer's sexual orientation was irrelevant?
I didn't say the customers sexual orientation wasn't irrelevant, I said that who is purchasing the cake is irrelevant to it still discriminating against gay people. Or at least that is what I mean't it to say, maybe it got lost in translation from Australian to American. :pound:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

I didn't say the customers sexual orientation wasn't irrelevant, I said that who is purchasing the cake is irrelevant to it still discriminating against gay people. Or at least that is what I mean't it to say, maybe it got lost in translation from Australian to American. :pound:
Dan,

The customer is the same thing as the one purchasing. That's what a customer is.

I think maybe it got lost in translation, somewhere between your brain and your keypad.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote: Becoming irritated easily is a sign of Aspergers.

Dan,

The customer is the same thing as the one purchasing. That's what a customer is.

I think maybe it got lost in translation, somewhere between your brain and your keypad.

Your not listening to what I am saying, the reason they are denying the making of said cake is the same reason no matter who the customer is, the reason they are using is a discriminatory reason. If only you were able to get lost somewhere between your brain and your keypad, but that would first require having a brain, which you clearly do not. :pound: