God name.

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
BrainMan
Newbie Member
Christian: No

God name.

Post by BrainMan »

Hi
One of my friend told me once that there can't be any other name of God except Jesus and I could not suggest her any other name at that point of time. Is that true? Does God has only one name. I agree that God is only one but do we know him by any other name.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: God name.

Post by PaulSacramento »

In the OT, the name of God is spelled YHWH because the hebrew written language doesn't use vowels.
It is, typically, written as YaHWeH.
It can also be written as JaHVeH or IaHVEH because of the soft "J" sound of the Hebrew language ( why we translate it as a "Y").
It can be shortened to "JAH" or "IAH" as in Hallelujah or jeremiah.

Jesus name in Hebrew is Yeshua ( or Yahshua), where we get our Joshua, which means "Yah saves".

It is important to understand that it is in Jesus name that we are saved and there is no other name under heaven and that all who call on His name will be saved and that because Jesus reflects His father.
To be saved in the name of Jesus is to be saved in the name of Yahweh.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

BrainMan wrote:Hi
One of my friend told me once that there can't be any other name of God except Jesus and I could not suggest her any other name at that point of time. Is that true? Does God has only one name. I agree that God is only one but do we know him by any other name.
YHWH. For you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRbywMH7kw
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
BrainMan
Newbie Member

Post by BrainMan »

Thanks for sharing this. But do we have God's name other than these?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

BrainMan wrote:Thanks for sharing this. But do we have God's name other than these?
Proper name, no, titles, yes.
Elohim for example ( Which means god or gods depending on the use and is a title for a being of the spiritual plane).
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

It looks like we like to call God by a name like Bill, Bob, or whatever...

That is not what a name represents in the biblical narrative. A Name expresses attributes of ones character.

The ancient Hebrew language was in pictograph form and YHWH represent in picture this: Behold the revelation of the Arm/ hand - Behold that was nailed, to attached too.

Now read Isaiah 53:1-12. In many places one finds the meaning of this pictograph explained. Thus all of the Trinity of the Godhead can be found in the name YHWH.

So as...

YHWH can refer to the Father as the one who sends forth the revelation of the arm of the Lord that attached to humanity and was nailed to save humanity...

YHWH can also express the nature of the Holy Spirit as the one who also the arm of the Lord who attaches Humanity back to God by the one who was nailed...

YHWH also can as according to context of the one speaking reveal the preincarnate Jesus as the revealed One who attaches/reconciles humanity back to himself by means of being nailed to the cross.

YWHN can refer also to all aspects of God's Triunue being working together to bring Revelation of grace's reconciliation and judgment to humanity as well as righteous back to earth.

Now read Rev 3:12 concerning the church in Philadelphia and the phrase: ...And I will write on him My new name. NKJV

When the bible speaks of taking the Lord's name in vain it expresses not using God's character attributes for vain things...

Hope this helps
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

A computer coming up with all the possible names for / of God. Knowing when the 'end' will come. Only the Father knows when the Son will come. And anyone who Claims to know / sets a date -- are Not to be believed. That person will Never be correct. And there are no billion of names for God. There Are numerous names, yes, but not That many. Will look it up.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

I just looked it up -- there are approximately 16 names of God that have special meaning.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:A computer coming up with all the possible names for / of God. Knowing when the 'end' will come. Only the Father knows when the Son will come. And anyone who Claims to know / sets a date -- are Not to be believed. That person will Never be correct. And there are no billion of names for God. There Are numerous names, yes, but not That many. Will look it up.
Come on S, it is a story by one of the most skilled sci-fi writers ever.Try to enjoy it for what it is,
dont make it into what it isnt!

(It doesnt say there are 9 billion, antway)
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

I've heard that, in Islamic tradition, Allah has 99 names with the 100th to be unknown, but revealed one day according to their prophecies.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:A computer coming up with all the possible names for / of God. Knowing when the 'end' will come. Only the Father knows when the Son will come. And anyone who Claims to know / sets a date -- are Not to be believed. That person will Never be correct. And there are no billion of names for God. There Are numerous names, yes, but not That many. Will look it up.
Come on S, it is a story by one of the most skilled sci-fi writers ever.Try to enjoy it for what it is,
dont make it into what it isnt!

(It doesnt say there are 9 billion, antway)
I simply take some things more seriously than others. The names of God being one of them. Probably because I really Do believe in Him. I'll relocate the article and list those names.

Star Trek / Generations / Voyager are all sci-fi and I usually enjoy them.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

http://newcreeations.org/names-of-god/?gclid=
The only problem is that 'newcreeations' might have too many 'e' s.

The names / Elohim(God), Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah), El elyon (The Most High God) , Jehovah Shalom (The Lord is Peace)
Jehovah Raah (The Lord Is My Shepherd)

Obviously not all listed. But ...... look up the site for more.

The article is entitled
How to See Many Amazing Names of God - NewCREEations