Are there any books you would ban?

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Are there any books you would ban?

Post by Storyteller »

If so, why?

Initially I thought no, everyone has a right to read anything, y'know freedom of speech, access to knowledge, but then I thought of the Koran, would I? I haven't read it and knowing the ill feeling between some Christians and Muslims (and vice versa) would I be objective? Then I thought Mein Kampf, again not read it, I recoil at yhe thought but historically an important book and it vould be argued a valid insight.

I guess as well, its hard because I appreciate books.

Anyway just a thought.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Are there any books you would ban?

Post by Nessa »

I'm not sure if there are any books I would ban as such but I wouldnt mind spilling my drinks on some or accidently on purpose throwing some in the trash kinda thing ;)

Hubby put my copy of 'Grey' 'in the trash but I respect the guy for it. Wish I'd read it first tho :lol:
I mean.. er...

I'm actually good at spilling drinks on books.... Spilt my Milo over 'Mere Christianity' the other day tho wasnt intentional of course :(

It survived :ebiggrin:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Trust me, you missed nothing by missing out on the world of the likes of Mr Grey.

I've lost count of the books that have had stuff spilt on them, got wet in the bath, chewed by the cat but the beauty is you can still read them :)

I suppose, hypothetically there are books I would ban but I cant think of one actually in print. Yet.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:Trust me, you missed nothing by missing out on the world of the likes of Mr Grey.

I've lost count of the books that have had stuff spilt on them, got wet in the bath, chewed by the cat but the beauty is you can still read them :)

I suppose, hypothetically there are books I would ban but I cant think of one actually in print. Yet.
I actually was intrigued by mr greys character more than anything. I think it's my personality type 'counselor' coming out... He can keep his 'room of pain' :econfused:

I think you have brought up a really good question ST and being a book shop owner it's really great to hear your thoughts.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I would prohibit convicted pyromaniacs from owning books of matches. Does that count?

I would also ban Jac's simplicity book on audio, IF Nessa was the narrator.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:I would prohibit convicted pyromaniacs from owning books of matches. Does that count?

And what is wrong with my voice? :shock:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:I would prohibit convicted pyromaniacs from owning books of matches. Does that count?

Nothing at all. It's just that your voice is so beautiful, and mesmerizing, that if you were narrating, I'd be so enthralled with your voice, that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the book!

:giverose:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Nothing at all. It's just that your voice is so beautiful, and mesmerizing, that if you were narrating, I'd be so enthralled with your voice, that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the book!

:giverose:
:spoop:
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

1) "Dianetics"
2)“Does God Love Michael’s Two Daddies?”
3)"Catcher in the Rye"

The 1st is darkly comical...BUT...it also leads people to go coocoo for coco puffs by enticing them to try to rip the alien ghosts out of their body by giving Miscavige their savings account.
The 2nd is absolutely hilarious and I put it on this list to spread word of its existence.
The 3rd leads people to shoot Ronald Reagan. I like Ronald Reagan.
pulvis sum
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

The only book I wanted banned is in any edition of Kate Turabian's Manual.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Why?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

The only books I would want banned, would be ones on sexual misconduct with children and similar ones. :xxpuke:

Whether they should be banned I don't know, maybe they should just have a register of the people who own them, so we can you know, know where they are at all times!! :fryingpan:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I wouldn't necessarily "ban" books, but rather, as a Christian if I were a bookshop owner I'd focus upon books with healthy messages that were not antithetical to Christian beliefs or values. There's no reason is there why you couldn't make the bookshop your own, as Michael Gerber notes, businesses are an extension of who we are, so...
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kurieuo wrote:I wouldn't necessarily "ban" books, but rather, as a Christian if I were a bookshop owner I'd focus upon books with healthy messages that were not antithetical to Christian beliefs or values. There's no reason is there why you couldn't make the bookshop your own, as Michael Gerber notes, businesses are an extension of who we are, so...
I think I hear axes grinding in the distance. :lol:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:I wouldn't necessarily "ban" books, but rather, as a Christian if I were a bookshop owner I'd focus upon books with healthy messages that were not antithetical to Christian beliefs or values. There's no reason is there why you couldn't make the bookshop your own, as Michael Gerber notes, businesses are an extension of who we are, so...
I think I hear axes grinding in the distance. :lol:
If you can hear axes, then I'd start running from your house if I was you. Evidently your family's had enough.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)