Tonight

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Tonight

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

last night, i'll tell you a bit of last night...

i volunteer for the salvation army. i cook meals and go for midnight rides on what they call the Savior's Van. it's a van we filled up with blankets, coats, gloves, hats and we also bring home made chili, bread and milk cartons to be passed out when we find people in need around town.

last night was my first night. we drove to a spot in town where my 28 year old driver, Carrie told me she had been before, she knew of a place where they hide to keep warm and safe. it was 12 degrees in Bangor last night with a 10-15 mph wind that chilled it out to below zero...

the spot she knew was an underpass under the union street bridge. it was a 40 ft. hike straight up from the penobscot river, was slippery and freezing. about half way up i could see the faint glow of a fire. there, tucked back in the deepest recesses of the underpass stood an 8 year old girl, her mum and 4 men... all huddled around the fire that was built by pallets and tree limbs. the girl wore an old and very loose, large fitting winter coat with a dress and leggings only. they all looked very freaked by our presence but lit up suitably when we offered the food and blankets.

i walked over to the little girl, asked if i could wrap her in a blanket and mum was smiling ear to ear. i wrapped her up, scooped her up in my arms and sat her in my lap while sitting indian style. she was up off the concrete and wrapped in a blanket and actually squealed she was so happy. i held her while carrie got her a chili bread and milk. she ate in my lap and as she was eating began to sob. she went from sob to tears in no time and i looked at mom who was looking at her daughter and said to me, " we spoke earlier this evening and susan (little girl) wanted to know why they weren't home, in their beds." mum told me dad beat her so badly 3 nights before she ended up in the emergency room for stitches.

mum finished her story, we talked quite a bit more and i found the little girl had fallen to sleep in my arms, warm as a bug in a rug and a full tummy. I started crying and found it uncontrollable. I held that little darling like she was my own and would never let any harm come to her. i was told after my conduct was unprofessional, but it was my first time and she understood. don't let it happen again, we're the stalwarts, the rocks for these people in need and crying is a sign of weakness.

i had to put the little girl down, as we had to move on. she awoke and asked me if i knew God. please tell him thank you she said, i feel ever so much better. i kissed her forehead, handed he to mum and turned my back as soon as i could so they couldn't see my face. do i know God ... i just saw him, felt him, felt my love to them and theirs in return ... do i know God !

i go back out tonight. i love what i do. i pray God loves what i'm doing. i pray so much harder now,

:heart: i love so much better. :heart:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

ES,

That's a great story. You volunteer, show compassion, care about a little girl who left home because her father is an idiot, and you are unprofessional?

That's completely unacceptable. I would've shown whoever told you that, what it REALLY means to be unprofessional, when he/she got a swift backhand across the face.

Keep up the great work!

God bless you!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

That made me cry.
Poor little darling
Wish I could 'like' this a thousand times
God bless you ES for being the wonderful, caring man that you are xo
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

ES... that post has to be THE post of the year.

Your tears were unprofessional? :shock:
Nah, your tears show you care, that someone cares, that there are good people in the world that share the pain and injustice that some suffer.
That little girl, and her mum, thanks to you felt love and compassion, they felt God.

You are a wonderful, wonderful man ES (but I knew that already :8 )
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

thanks so much for the replies. believe me when i say the pleasure was all mine. everything said about the giver and the givee is true... that wonderful little girl and mum got blankets to keep warm and a meal for a night. i got the love of God in both their eyes and that will stay with me forever. :heart: i don't give my heart away easily, it must be special for me to do so ... and i did :D

i am truly the one blessed... :8 ... in so many ways. y@};-
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine