Personality types

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!

Extrovert or Introvert?

Extrovert
No votes
Introvert
100%

Total votes: 12

Nicki
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Personality types

Post by Nicki »

RickD wrote:
Nicki wrote:I brought this up again because I've been reading a good book about the 16 personalities relating to career choices - finding a good career for you. It doesn't include a test - it just describes all the personalities really well, and confirmed to me that I'm an ISFJ. It gave me one new career idea at least. The personality descriptions helped me understand why I'm attracted to Christianity in some ways (I'm a traditionalist) and why I have trouble with it in other ways (being a Sensor, I tend to trust information from my five senses over what I can intuit or what might be behind the obvious).

To the skeptics like RickD, comparing it to astrology - so do you think everyone's just the same really - there are no personality types? Or do you think everyone's so unique there's no point trying to sort personalities out? y:-? As I said earlier, some people fit into the boxes more easily than others, but I've no doubt we all have different personalities and some people are much more like each other than others.
So perhaps your thinking is along the lines that there are at least 7 billion personality types? That's probably true in a way, but I think even the snowflakes could be grouped into a finite number of types. The difference with astrology is that I could probably choose one of the star sign personalities which was most like me but it's not likely to be the same one as what I was actually born under - I seem to remember thinking I was not much like an Aries which is what I'm supposed to be. It's pointless basing your personality assessment on when you were born - better to look at all the personality types someone's worked out (or take a test which will help you decide) and see what that can tell you about yourself.

I'm not saying it's the most fantastic thing ever - it just makes me feel kind of normal and special at the same time and helps me understand some of my reactions to things. I know my reactions to a lot of things already - that helped me know my type - but some things became clearer to me.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Nicki wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nicki wrote:I brought this up again because I've been reading a good book about the 16 personalities relating to career choices - finding a good career for you. It doesn't include a test - it just describes all the personalities really well, and confirmed to me that I'm an ISFJ. It gave me one new career idea at least. The personality descriptions helped me understand why I'm attracted to Christianity in some ways (I'm a traditionalist) and why I have trouble with it in other ways (being a Sensor, I tend to trust information from my five senses over what I can intuit or what might be behind the obvious).

To the skeptics like RickD, comparing it to astrology - so do you think everyone's just the same really - there are no personality types? Or do you think everyone's so unique there's no point trying to sort personalities out? y:-? As I said earlier, some people fit into the boxes more easily than others, but I've no doubt we all have different personalities and some people are much more like each other than others.
So perhaps your thinking is along the lines that there are at least 7 billion personality types? That's probably true in a way, but I think even the snowflakes could be grouped into a finite number of types. The difference with astrology is that I could probably choose one of the star sign personalities which was most like me but it's not likely to be the same one as what I was actually born under - I seem to remember thinking I was not much like an Aries which is what I'm supposed to be. It's pointless basing your personality assessment on when you were born - better to look at all the personality types someone's worked out (or take a test which will help you decide) and see what that can tell you about yourself.

I'm not saying it's the most fantastic thing ever - it just makes me feel kind of normal and special at the same time and helps me understand some of my reactions to things. I know my reactions to a lot of things already - that helped me know my type - but some things became clearer to me.
I really like what you have to say, Nicki :esmile:

Learning what your personality type is can be a very useful tool.
It is limited for sure, and tho not perfect it is still valid and can give people
insights to themselves that they might never of had before
Last edited by Nessa on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Every test I've EVER taken has listed me as an INTJ. I just retook the test from the OP out of curiosity and it had me as an INTP. I don't know that the difference is that significant. I think both are pretty well on point for me. *shrug*
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Jac3510 wrote:Every test I've EVER taken has listed me as an INTJ. I just retook the test from the OP out of curiosity and it had me as an INTP. I don't know that the difference is that significant. I think both are pretty well on point for me. *shrug*
Maybe perceiving and judging for you is pretty much equal? Or in the past judging has only be a tiny bit higher.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I think it really depends on the context. Taken from the official MB description:
  • Sometimes people feel they have both. That is true. The J or P preference only tells which preference the person extraverts. One person may feel very orderly/structured (J) on the inside, yet their outer life looks spontaneous and adaptable (P). Another person may feel very curious and open-ended (P) in their inner world, yet their outer life looks more structured or decided (J).
I think this fits me. Some of this is due to my work as a chaplain. I probably and much more judging by nature, but I've made concerted efforts to be more open "in the moment"--and not just as a matter of habit but an actual matter of preference. I've worked hard to convince myself and practice the idea so that it becomes habit in the classical sense of the word, not just the modern idea of something we do because we've done it a lot before. Openness is, I think, a good quality. Or I've persuaded myself that it ought to be preferable to having an agenda in any given case. Someone once told me that good chess players think five moves ahead. Great chess players think one move ahead.

So maybe this is my INTJ way of deciding the most effective way to approach the world and deciding that being an INTP is more advantageous . . . haha :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

The thing with these tests is, they are - at least the better designed ones - a baseline that charts your main tendencies. But our personalities are far more analog as opposed to digital. And they flex with circumstances, situations, with various different interactions with others, and morph somewhat as we mature. I can look back and see very significant changes in how I react to things now, as opposed to how I did at, say, 20 - even 30. Actually, before your early 30s, you change quite a bit. But there most definitely are some major constants. And if your spouse closer to your type, I think, can be quite a challenge. But, as mentioned, I can be labeled differently - if always amongst a judging type - depending upon the test. Sometimes I can see the questions are problematic. And I tend to very carefully answer - which I think is very important.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Jac3510 wrote:Every test I've EVER taken has listed me as an INTJ. I just retook the test from the OP out of curiosity and it had me as an INTP. I don't know that the difference is that significant. I think both are pretty well on point for me. *shrug*
can you post a link so that i retake the test too?
i also was intj, not sure what i am now
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:
It's in the first post of the thread:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 88#p188788
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:
It's in the first post of the thread:
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 88#p188788
oh, thanks,
I did not check first post
(well it is logical)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Well Jac, you are more INJI than INTP.

I just cannot see you as Clark Griswald (Chevy Chase)... :ebiggrin:

https://www.davidmarkley.com/personality/intp.htm
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Weird, but I test somewhere between an INTJ and and INFJ, probably leaning far more toward INTJ, especially the older I've gotten.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Took the test again to see the results:

I tried to answer as accurately as possible. Just like the last time I took the test.

I must've changed. :roll:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick:
I tried to answer as accurately as possible. Just like the last time I took the test.

That's because you must think like a woman - constantly changing your mind. No woman should ever expect the same results on these tests, if taken more than a few days ( :econfused: hours?) apart. :pound:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:
Rick:

That's because you must think like a woman - constantly changing your mind. No woman should ever expect the same results on these tests, if taken more than a few days ( :econfused: hours?) apart. :pound:
Are you saying that I've finally gotten I touch with my feminine side? :knitting:

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Philip wrote:
Rick:

Are you saying that I've finally gotten I touch with my feminine side? :knitting:
May you and kurieuo have many happy hours knitting together ;)
:knitting: :knitting: