Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Nils
Established Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#226

Post by Nils » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:31 am

@Philip
Don't make assumptions about what people do or don't know.
I certainly don't make any assumptions about what people do or don't know. I wrote "It seems that you don't understand the evolution theory." I based that on what you wrote: "But for many, especially those in positions of great power and the ability to dominate others, take a different approach - which is the Darwinian survival of the fittest - that the fittest take whatever they are able to, because it so suits their motives and desires." You were talking on a different approach, the survial of the fittest, and that such an approach includes taking what you desire. To me that's a bit misleading but what you write now is more to the point:
Sure, survival of the fittest is about successfully passing along your genes - but along with that, individually, as part of a species collectively doing so, is the individual ability to find prey and also avoid becoming it. Those that get eaten, don't do so well with their breeding plans.
Not to mention, my focus was, in a purely natural world, there is NO morality - it's not even a question. Even in the animal kingdom today, there is no morality.
You ignored what I wrote about the definition of "morality". How do you define "morality"?

Nils

Nils
Established Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#227

Post by Nils » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:39 am

@Paul
The problem with the superficial view of Darwinian evolution is that most people that support it are not willing to take it to its natural conclusion BUT others are.
Survival of the fittest may only mean that the must suitable traits are passed on, BUT don't ever think for a moment that it stops here in the eyes of some.
Please elaborate. What more does it mean and who doesn't stop?
Nils

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#228

Post by Kenny » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:07 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:The problem with the superficial view of Darwinian evolution is that most people that support it are not willing to take it to its natural conclusion BUT others are.
Survival of the fittest may only mean that the must suitable traits are passed on, BUT don't ever think for a moment that it stops here in the eyes of some.
What is the superficial view of Darwinian evolution, and what is it's natural conclusion?

Ken

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8275
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#229

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 am

Eventually Darwinism, when taken to its natural conclusion leads to either nihilism or epicureanism.
Either you get to the view that life is just a series of chemical reactions with nothing but the drive to propagate the species ( if that) and there is no real significance to life other than that you are currently alive and then there is nothing, so life has very little meaning.
Or this is all we have, and all we are here for so live it up.
Both are self-centered wives of course and both will motivate people to do things out of self-interest.

See, if all we are is material beings driven by selfish genes then, to what degree, does anything matter since ALL is subjective to that drive to one degree or another.

While the majority of people that believe this live very well under the rules and laws of society without thinking how irrelevant those laws and rules actually are to their worldview, some take their world view to the "natural conclusion" which is obvious.

Nils
Established Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#230

Post by Nils » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:14 am

@Paul
Eventually Darwinism, when taken to its natural conclusion leads to either nihilism or epicureanism.
Either you get to the view that life is just a series of chemical reactions with nothing but the drive to propagate the species ( if that) and there is no real significance to life other than that you are currently alive and then there is nothing, so life has very little meaning.
Or this is all we have, and all we are here for so live it up.
Both are self-centered wives of course and both will motivate people to do things out of self-interest.

See, if all we are is material beings driven by selfish genes then, to what degree, does anything matter since ALL is subjective to that drive to one degree or another.

While the majority of people that believe this live very well under the rules and laws of society without thinking how irrelevant those laws and rules actually are to their worldview, some take their world view to the "natural conclusion" which is obvious.
I will not debate your opinion that Darwinism is not possible to join with a belief in God (as you seem to say). Many Christians acknowledge Darwinism and my reason to be an atheist is not primarily related to Darwinism.

You say that with a materialistic worldview life has no meaning and that we only act out self-interest.
That is not true, at least for me and lot of others. I can describe how and why at length if you are interested. It would be of interest to me to know how a belief in God gives you a meaning of life.
Nils

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#231

Post by Kenny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

PaulSacramento wrote:Eventually Darwinism, when taken to its natural conclusion leads to either nihilism or epicureanism.
Either you get to the view that life is just a series of chemical reactions with nothing but the drive to propagate the species ( if that) and there is no real significance to life other than that you are currently alive and then there is nothing, so life has very little meaning.
Or this is all we have, and all we are here for so live it up.
Both are self-centered wives of course and both will motivate people to do things out of self-interest.

See, if all we are is material beings driven by selfish genes then, to what degree, does anything matter since ALL is subjective to that drive to one degree or another.

While the majority of people that believe this live very well under the rules and laws of society without thinking how irrelevant those laws and rules actually are to their worldview, some take their world view to the "natural conclusion" which is obvious.
When you say “Darwinism” are you referring to the Theory of Evolution? I remember a story of a woman who drowned her 5 children because she wanted them to go to Heaven and was afraid if they were raised in this corrupt world they may not make it.
IMO to assume the natural conclusion of Theory of Evolution is nihilism or epicureanism is as ridicules as assuming what this lady did is the natural conclusion of theism.

Ken

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8275
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#232

Post by PaulSacramento » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:16 am

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Eventually Darwinism, when taken to its natural conclusion leads to either nihilism or epicureanism.
Either you get to the view that life is just a series of chemical reactions with nothing but the drive to propagate the species ( if that) and there is no real significance to life other than that you are currently alive and then there is nothing, so life has very little meaning.
Or this is all we have, and all we are here for so live it up.
Both are self-centered wives of course and both will motivate people to do things out of self-interest.

See, if all we are is material beings driven by selfish genes then, to what degree, does anything matter since ALL is subjective to that drive to one degree or another.

While the majority of people that believe this live very well under the rules and laws of society without thinking how irrelevant those laws and rules actually are to their worldview, some take their world view to the "natural conclusion" which is obvious.
When you say “Darwinism” are you referring to the Theory of Evolution? I remember a story of a woman who drowned her 5 children because she wanted them to go to Heaven and was afraid if they were raised in this corrupt world they may not make it.
IMO to assume the natural conclusion of Theory of Evolution is nihilism or epicureanism is as ridicules as assuming what this lady did is the natural conclusion of theism.

Ken
If I wanted to say TOE....
I said Darwinism.

The difference between Darwinism and even the TOE and your example is that KILLING someone, outside of saving another life, is AGAINST the teachings of the bible and that the bible does NOT teach that killing someone so they can go to heaven is acceptable.
You understand the distinction, right?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#233

Post by Kenny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:24 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Eventually Darwinism, when taken to its natural conclusion leads to either nihilism or epicureanism.
Either you get to the view that life is just a series of chemical reactions with nothing but the drive to propagate the species ( if that) and there is no real significance to life other than that you are currently alive and then there is nothing, so life has very little meaning.
Or this is all we have, and all we are here for so live it up.
Both are self-centered wives of course and both will motivate people to do things out of self-interest.

See, if all we are is material beings driven by selfish genes then, to what degree, does anything matter since ALL is subjective to that drive to one degree or another.

While the majority of people that believe this live very well under the rules and laws of society without thinking how irrelevant those laws and rules actually are to their worldview, some take their world view to the "natural conclusion" which is obvious.
When you say “Darwinism” are you referring to the Theory of Evolution? I remember a story of a woman who drowned her 5 children because she wanted them to go to Heaven and was afraid if they were raised in this corrupt world they may not make it.
IMO to assume the natural conclusion of Theory of Evolution is nihilism or epicureanism is as ridicules as assuming what this lady did is the natural conclusion of theism.

Ken
If I wanted to say TOE....
I said Darwinism.

The difference between Darwinism and even the TOE and your example is that KILLING someone, outside of saving another life, is AGAINST the teachings of the bible and that the bible does NOT teach that killing someone so they can go to heaven is acceptable.
You understand the distinction, right?

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 6394
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 481 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#234

Post by Philip » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Nils: my reason to be an atheist is not primarily related to Darwinism.
Then what IS your primary reason for your atheism?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#235

Post by Kenny » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Eventually Darwinism, when taken to its natural conclusion leads to either nihilism or epicureanism.
Either you get to the view that life is just a series of chemical reactions with nothing but the drive to propagate the species ( if that) and there is no real significance to life other than that you are currently alive and then there is nothing, so life has very little meaning.
Or this is all we have, and all we are here for so live it up.
Both are self-centered wives of course and both will motivate people to do things out of self-interest.

See, if all we are is material beings driven by selfish genes then, to what degree, does anything matter since ALL is subjective to that drive to one degree or another.

While the majority of people that believe this live very well under the rules and laws of society without thinking how irrelevant those laws and rules actually are to their worldview, some take their world view to the "natural conclusion" which is obvious.
When you say “Darwinism” are you referring to the Theory of Evolution? I remember a story of a woman who drowned her 5 children because she wanted them to go to Heaven and was afraid if they were raised in this corrupt world they may not make it.
IMO to assume the natural conclusion of Theory of Evolution is nihilism or epicureanism is as ridicules as assuming what this lady did is the natural conclusion of theism.

Ken
If I wanted to say TOE....
I said Darwinism.

The difference between Darwinism and even the TOE and your example is that KILLING someone, outside of saving another life, is AGAINST the teachings of the bible and that the bible does NOT teach that killing someone so they can go to heaven is acceptable.
You understand the distinction, right?
She killed her kids so they can go to Heaven; not herself. Perhaps she was willing to accept Hell so they can get to Heaven; who knows what she was thinking. But my point is if one wants to know about the Theory of Evolution, they should get their information from someone who believes in the Theory; not somebody who is against it. If one wants to know about the Bible, they should get their information from one who believes what the Bible says; not someone who is against it. Otherwise you wind up with absurdities like the Theory of Evolution leads to Nihilism, or that following the Bible leads to what this crazy woman did to her children.

Ken
These users liked this post by Kenny:
Nessa (Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:28 pm)

Nils
Established Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#236

Post by Nils » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:17 am

@Philip
Nils: my reason to be an atheist is not primarily related to Darwinism.
Then what IS your primary reason for your atheism?
Some years ago I wrote a three page long list of arguments for not believing in God. There were 24 different points grouped in three sections
1. There are no good arguments for a God
2. There is no need for a God
3. Contradictions in Christianity

Unfortunately I wrote it in Swedish but I can rewrite it in English if you want. However I think it is better to discuss that in a separate thread.

Meanwhile I am waiting for your definition of morality.

Nils

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9395
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 579 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#237

Post by Kurieuo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 am

Nils wrote:@Philip
Nils: my reason to be an atheist is not primarily related to Darwinism.
Then what IS your primary reason for your atheism?
Some years ago I wrote a three page long list of arguments for not believing in God. There were 24 different points grouped in three sections
1. There are no good arguments for a God
2. There is no need for a God
3. Contradictions in Christianity

Unfortunately I wrote it in Swedish but I can rewrite it in English if you want. However I think it is better to discuss that in a separate thread.
And I'm sure such arguments were quite innovative having never been previously raised or adequately responded to ever. :lol:

Maybe you can take up my old challenge in a post elsewhere, to put on the table the nature of reality as you see it and your justification for such. Otherwise, I'm inclined to think your disbelief in God is more attributed to some father issues or the like, similar to Nietzche, Freud, et al. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 5:00 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ohio
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#238

Post by Hortator » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:28 am

Nils wrote:s
Nils I mentioned you in the new users thread but you didnt come to your own party >=U

as a side note we need a better way to @people when they get mentioned

Nils
Established Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: Sweden
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#239

Post by Nils » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:48 am

@Hortator
Nils wrote:s
Nils I mentioned you in the new users thread but you didnt come to your own party >=U
I have no idea of what you are talking about. Please explain.
as a side note we need a better way to @people when they get mentioned
Please explain

Nils

User avatar
Nicki
Senior Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Western Australia
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#240

Post by Nicki » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 am

Nils wrote:@Hortator
Nils wrote:s
Nils I mentioned you in the new users thread but you didnt come to your own party >=U
I have no idea of what you are talking about. Please explain.
as a side note we need a better way to @people when they get mentioned
Please explain

Nils
He mentioned you in the Please Introduce Yourself Here thread (in General etc. - where you can introduce yourself if you like) but you didn't know as you weren't being quoted or anything - hence the second remark :)

Post Reply