Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21163
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#16

Post by RickD » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I have never rejected God, I’ve only rejected various claims people have made about God.
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
Accepting claims that people made about God, doesn't make one a Christian.

Was your Christianity, as much of a straw man as the God you've created in your mind?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#17

Post by Kenny » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Opps
Last edited by Kenny on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#18

Post by Kenny » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I have never rejected God, I’ve only rejected various claims people have made about God.
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
RickD wrote:Accepting claims that people made about God, doesn't make one a Christian.
Do you know of any Christians who haven't accepted any of the claims people have made about God?
RickD wrote:Was your Christianity, as much of a straw man as the God you've created in your mind?
The only straw men in my mind are the ones built/created by various theists
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9054
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 341 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#19

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:38 am

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I have never rejected God, I’ve only rejected various claims people have made about God.
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#20

Post by Kenny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:57 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I have never rejected God, I’ve only rejected various claims people have made about God.
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21163
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#21

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:10 am

RickD wrote:
Accepting claims that people made about God, doesn't make one a Christian.

Kenny wrote:
Do you know of any Christians who haven't accepted any of the claims people have made about God?
Nice deflection Kenny.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21163
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#22

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:10 am

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I have never rejected God, I’ve only rejected various claims people have made about God.
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
But only on your terms.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9054
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 341 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#23

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 am

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I have never rejected God, I’ve only rejected various claims people have made about God.
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
Personal revelation is a viable form of evidence to you? not anecdotal?

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21163
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#24

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
Personal revelation is a viable form of evidence to you? not anecdotal?
Did you just ask Kenny, the king of "nothing is objective", if it's anecdotal?

:lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#25

Post by Kenny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:17 am

RickD wrote:
RickD wrote:
Accepting claims that people made about God, doesn't make one a Christian.

Kenny wrote:
Do you know of any Christians who haven't accepted any of the claims people have made about God?
Nice deflection Kenny.
Perhaps I misunderstood you; it was not my intention to deflect.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#26

Post by Kenny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:19 am

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
But only on your terms.
Not quite; it just has to be done in a way that I can recognize and understand.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#27

Post by Kenny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:24 am

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny,

I thought you claimed that you used to be a Christian, and now you claim to be an atheist?
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
Personal revelation is a viable form of evidence to you? not anecdotal?
According to my understanding, anecdotal evidence is generally considered the least reliable type of evidence because it is often based upon heresy or faulty reasoning. For me a personal experience would be more convincing.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#28

Post by Kenny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:28 am

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
Personal revelation is a viable form of evidence to you? not anecdotal?
Did you just ask Kenny, the king of "nothing is objective", if it's anecdotal?

:lol:
Ive never claimed nothing was objective, I've always said some things are objective, and some things are subjective. The disagreement I and many on this forum have had was based on what is objective or subjective.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21163
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1058 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#29

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote: So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
Personal revelation is a viable form of evidence to you? not anecdotal?
Did you just ask Kenny, the king of "nothing is objective", if it's anecdotal?

:lol:
Ive never claimed nothing was objective, I've always said some things are objective, and some things are subjective. The disagreement I and many on this forum have had was based on what is objective or subjective.
What things are objective?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 9054
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 341 times

Re: Key Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

#30

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 am

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Yes. Initially I accepted many of the claims people made about God, but eventually I rejected the claims. As I said countless times, if God communicated to me in a way that I recognized/understood; I would accept as real.

Ken
So personal revelation is proof to you?
Yes it would be.

K
Personal revelation is a viable form of evidence to you? not anecdotal?
According to my understanding, anecdotal evidence is generally considered the least reliable type of evidence because it is often based upon heresy or faulty reasoning. For me a personal experience would be more convincing.

Ken

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony.

Many people view personal revelation as anecdotal, that is why I ask.
Skeptics tend to discount personal revelation for this matter, unless, of course, it is THEIR personal revelation.
That said, some skeptics would even discount their own since, as they put it, senses and reasoning can be mislead.

Post Reply