The Strongest Argument for God

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: The Strongest Argument for God

Post by Kenny »

Ken: If God exist as you say he does, it would be the job of science to investigate and provide information of God. The fact that science does not shows either science is not doing its job, or God does not exist.
Philip wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am As God is SPIRIT and not a physical being, how to do you think science could ever directly test for His existence?

How do YOU experience God? I suppose they could start there.
Philip wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am And I find that ALL we DO know - per the entire history of man's investigations into the universe
Which amounts to only 4% of the Universe
Philip wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am to be far more compelling than the theoretical "what-ifs" of things we don't know. And the subsequent knowledge man sees, merely confirms in an ongoing manner that only intelligent things can create other intelligent things or things with complex designs and functionality.
With only 4% knowledge, I find it far more reasonable to admit when we don’t have an answer rather than make assumptions of the 96% that we have no clue about.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 am
Kenny wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:59 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:45 am
Kenny wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am
PaulSacramento wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 am
Why don’t you hold yourself accountable and recognize there is zero evidence that an intelligent being could live eternally, and create stuff out of nothing? Again; hold yourself to the same standards you hold me to.
There is ZERO SCIENTIFIC evidence that a MATERIAL intelligent being can be eternal.
There is ZERO SCIENTIFIC evidence that the quantum singularity from which the big band started had always existed.

Both these statements are 100% true.

They are also irrelevant to the argument.
There is also ZERO SCIENTIFIC evidence that ANY type of intelligent being can be eternal. Now that is completely relevant to the argument
No Kenny,
Please site scientific evidence of the non-material world.
There is none. No scientific evidence for the spiritual world, God, or any type of eternal being. But that isn't going to stop some people from believing.
So, science can NOT make a statement in regards to the non-material existence of anything, correct?
More like; science doesn't comment on something unless they have reason to believe it exists.
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 am
If God exist as you say he does, it would be the job of science to investigate and provide information of God. The fact that science does not shows either science is not doing its job, or God does not exist.
That is probably one of the silliest things you have said, sorry.

Maybe you need to re-read that and think about it.
I stand by what I said. However, feel free to explain WHY you find my point "silly"
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny,

Again, ad nauseam , here's the definition of science:
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
Science is simply not the tool used to study the spiritual world, including an eternal God.

And there's the fact that you have been told this numerous times in the 5 years you've been here, yet you still spout nonsense like this:
If God exist as you say he does, it would be the job of science to investigate and provide information of God. The fact that science does not shows either science is not doing its job, or God does not exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:13 pm Kenny,

Again, ad nauseam , here's the definition of science:
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
Science is simply not the tool used to study the spiritual world, including an eternal God.

And there's the fact that you have been told this numerous times in the 5 years you've been here, yet you still spout nonsense like this:
If another world that is not physical or natural, were found to exist, are you seriously trying to tell me that science would refuse to study this world because they choose to restrict themselves to that which is described as physical and natural? Are you kidding me? The only reason they are said to study the physical and natural world is because they label everything that has an actual existence, physical and or natural. If the Spiritual world were found to exist, it would be given that label as well.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

kenny wrote:
If another world that is not physical or natural, were found to exist, are you seriously trying to tell me that science would refuse to study this world because they choose to restrict themselves to that which is described as physical and natural?
"Science" doesn't study anything. Scientists use science to study the physical and natural world.
And no, people don't refuse to study this world(the spiritual). People just don't use science to study the spiritual, because that's just beyond the scope of science. Just as a hammer isn't used to cut down a tree, science is not the tool to study the spiritual.
Are you kidding me?
No Kenny, I'm not kidding you. Are you kidding me, that you still don't understand what science is, and isn't?
The only reason they are said to study the physical and natural world is because they label everything that has an actual existence, physical and or natural. If the Spiritual world were found to exist, it would be given that label as well.
Are you kidding me?

Again, google is your friend.

The definition of exist:
have objective reality or being.
By definition, that does not rule out the spiritual, including God. As God is not part of the natural world, science is not used to study God.

This stuff is basic Kenny. With the amount of time you've spent discussing this, you should understand this without difficulty.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm
kenny wrote:
If another world that is not physical or natural, were found to exist, are you seriously trying to tell me that science would refuse to study this world because they choose to restrict themselves to that which is described as physical and natural?
"Science" doesn't study anything. Scientists use science to study the physical and natural world.
And no, people don't refuse to study this world(the spiritual). People just don't use science to study the spiritual, because that's just beyond the scope of science. Just as a hammer isn't used to cut down a tree, science is not the tool to study the spiritual.
I think this is where we need to agree to disagree. You believe the spiritual world (and God) exists, and I believe they do not, and we are discussing the ability of science in the context of what we believe.
RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pmThe definition of exist:
have objective reality or being.
By definition, that does not rule out the spiritual, including God. As God is not part of the natural world, science is not used to study God.
What is it about the spiritual world that you find objective?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

kenny wrote:
I think this is where we need to agree to disagree. You believe the spiritual world (and God) exists, and I believe they do not, and we are discussing the ability of science in the context of what we believe.
First, that's not how "agree to disagree" works. You need to understand my position, before you can disagree with it.
And second, you cannot discuss science, if you don't even know what science is.
What is it about the spiritual world that you find objective?
Kenny, if something is said to have objective reality or being, it just means that it exists. And something doesn't have to have being in the physical or natural realm/world, to exist.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:19 pm
kenny wrote:
First, that's not how "agree to disagree" works. You need to understand my position, before you can disagree with it.
You erroneously assume because I didn't agree with you I don't understand you. If I were to claim "X" is real ("X" being something you know is not real) but you cannot experience its existence, there is nothing you would be able to say to convince me "X" is not real, and there is nothing I could say to you to convince you that it is. That doesn't mean you don't understand me,its just something we will have to disagree on.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm
RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:19 pm
kenny wrote:
You erroneously assume because I didn't agree with you I don't understand you. If I were to claim "X" is real ("X" being something you know is not real) but you cannot experience its existence, there is nothing you would be able to say to convince me "X" is not real, and there is nothing I could say to you to convince you that it is. That doesn't mean you don't understand me,its just something we will have to disagree on.
No Kenny. Remember, this is what you said:
And my position, which you fail to understand, is that science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

So, science cannot, EVER, be the study of God, because God is not physical nor part of the natural world.

Your argument is asinine. Your argument that since science, or a scientist using science, hasn't found God, is like saying that the sound of birds chirping must not exist, because I cannot see the chirping sound with my eyes.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 pm And my position, which you fail to understand, is that science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

So, science cannot, EVER, be the study of God, because God is not physical nor part of the natural world.
And my position which thou fail to understand is that if God existed and had an actual affect on the natural world, Scientists would study God and his effect on the natural world. And if the spiritual world existed, they would study that too. I believe it is the job of scientists to study all things that exist. If God and the spiritual world did exist, and science was not equipped to study it, then science is incapable of doing it’s job. That’s how I see it, I wouldn’t expect you to understand.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm
RickD wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 pm And my position, which you fail to understand, is that science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

And my position which thou fail to understand is that if God existed and had an actual affect on the natural world, Scientists would study God and his effect on the natural world. And if the spiritual world existed, they would study that too. I believe it is the job of scientists to study all things that exist. If God and the spiritual world did exist, and science was not equipped to study it, then science is incapable of doing it’s job. That’s how I see it, I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ken: And my position which thou fail to understand is that if God existed and had an actual affect on the natural world, Scientists would study God and his effect on the natural world. And if the spiritual world existed, they would study that too. I believe it is the job of scientists to study all things that exist. If God and the spiritual world did exist, and science was not equipped to study it, then science is incapable of doing it’s job. That’s how I see it, I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 am
Kenny wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am
There is also ZERO SCIENTIFIC evidence that ANY type of intelligent being can be eternal. Now that is completely relevant to the argument
No Kenny,
There is none. No scientific evidence for the spiritual world, God, or any type of eternal being. But that isn't going to stop some people from believing.
So, science can NOT make a statement in regards to the non-material existence of anything, correct?
More like; science doesn't comment on something unless they have reason to believe it exists.
Science doesn't have "reason" Kenny, Scientists do.
You talk of science as if it was "alive".

Science does NOT address anything outside the observable and material world.
Science doesn't address the WHY, only the HOW.
It doesn't address the SHOULD, only the CAN.

You understand that right?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 am

No Kenny,
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 am Science doesn't have "reason" Kenny, Scientists do.
You talk of science as if it was "alive".
You're right; that was a typo; I said science when I should have said "scientists".
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 am Science does NOT address anything outside the observable and material world.
That's because as far as they know nothing exists outside the observable material world. My point is, if they found something outside this world they could address, they would address it.
PaulSacramento wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 am Science doesn't address the WHY, only the HOW.
I disagree, they address the why also.

PaulSacramento wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 am It doesn't address the SHOULD, only the CAN.

You understand that right?
They don't address moral issues, because they vary from person to person
RickD wrote