"Atheism's universe"

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
IceMobster
Senior Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Location: Europe
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 42 times

"Atheism's universe"

#1

Post by IceMobster » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:57 pm

I would appreciate if atheists could point out what is wrong with this picture (if anything).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/yylfp9bvb/]Image
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#2

Post by Kurieuo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Atheists writing books? Meh, I see no books, hear of no books, there are no such books. Writing books is just what religious people do to promote their fanciful beliefs. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#3

Post by Kenny » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:49 pm

IceMobster wrote:I would appreciate if atheists could point out what is wrong with this picture (if anything).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/yylfp9bvb/]Image
My guess would be that it starts with nothing.

Ken

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#4

Post by Kurieuo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm happy to see you put something on the table Kenny, as in previous exchanges with myself you've always refrained from answering. Although, I think a start from nothing, true nothingness, is absurd when faced with the something that now is.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

IceMobster
Senior Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Location: Europe
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#5

Post by IceMobster » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:55 am

Kurieuo wrote:Although, I think a start from nothing, true nothingness, is absurd when faced with the something that now is.
Why? I don't see it as absurd. It may very well be possible. If we are to went into theology, it shows how omnipotent God is: to create all of this order from exactly n o t h i n g.
Kenny wrote:My guess would be that it starts with nothing.
Ken
Hmmm, what? The picture does state it starts with nothing.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 19230
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 888 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#6

Post by RickD » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:16 am

IceMobster wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Although, I think a start from nothing, true nothingness, is absurd when faced with the something that now is.
Why? I don't see it as absurd. It may very well be possible. If we are to went into theology, it shows how omnipotent God is: to create all of this order from exactly n o t h i n g.
Kenny wrote:My guess would be that it starts with nothing.
Ken
Hmmm, what? The picture does state it starts with nothing.
IceMobster,

You asked what was wrong with the picture. Kenny responded that his guess of what is wrong, is that it starts with nothing. I believe Kenny sees that is absurd for something(the universe), to come from nothing.

It's just getting Kenny to see that while it's possible that nothing existed prior to the universe, that God isn't some thing.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#7

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 am

IceMobster wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Although, I think a start from nothing, true nothingness, is absurd when faced with the something that now is.
Why? I don't see it as absurd. It may very well be possible. If we are to went into theology, it shows how omnipotent God is: to create all of this order from exactly n o t h i n g.
Not quite, you always have a Foundational Something i.e., God.

Absolute nothingness on the other hand, it is absurd to even posit given that there is something.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#8

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:53 am

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Although, I think a start from nothing, true nothingness, is absurd when faced with the something that now is.
Why? I don't see it as absurd. It may very well be possible. If we are to went into theology, it shows how omnipotent God is: to create all of this order from exactly n o t h i n g.
Kenny wrote:My guess would be that it starts with nothing.
Ken
Hmmm, what? The picture does state it starts with nothing.
IceMobster,

You asked what was wrong with the picture. Kenny responded that his guess of what is wrong, is that it starts with nothing. I believe Kenny sees that is absurd for something(the universe), to come from nothing.

It's just getting Kenny to see that while it's possible that nothing existed prior to the universe, that God isn't some thing.
Oh, I see that I misunderstood Kenny. :oops: He's saying the same thing I am really, I think (unsure if he really sees something wrong with it, or whether he's just taking a stab at Ice's question).
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8273
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#9

Post by PaulSacramento » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:42 am

The Atheistic view of the universe is that it started from a singularity, not from nothing.
No one knows Why the singularity started to expand or where the singularity came from.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#10

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Ice, if you don't mind answering a question, I'm intrigued to know why you wouldn't see something coming from nothing as absurd? I just considered it to be self-obvious really, so was a little surprised by your push-back.

This premise forms part of my argument for reasoning something must have always existed, it's just a matter of identifying who or what. This we can call "God" if a personal being, or "god" (if we believe such to be impersonal).

My kids understand such reasoning, whereas I think they might struggle to understand looking backwards where we only witness anything that exists being caused to exist (hence my son asked where did God come from?). The buck has to stop somewhere though with some immovable foundation that's always existed.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3485
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#11

Post by Audie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:20 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:The Atheistic view of the universe is that it started ....

Oh?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#12

Post by Kenny » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:11 pm

IceMobster wrote:I would appreciate if atheists could point out what is wrong with this picture (if anything).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/yylfp9bvb/]Image
Are you under the impression this is what all Atheists believe?

Ken

IceMobster
Senior Member
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Location: Europe
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#13

Post by IceMobster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 am

Kenny wrote:
IceMobster wrote:I would appreciate if atheists could point out what is wrong with this picture (if anything).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/yylfp9bvb/]Image
Are you under the impression this is what all Atheists believe?

Ken
Of course not. That is exactly why I shared this picture here and am asking. :mrgreen:
Feel free to correct the picture and point out the mistakes and add your views etc.
Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:The Atheistic view of the universe is that it started ....

Oh?
So, it didn't start? Does that mean it was eternal or?
Kurieuo wrote:Ice, if you don't mind answering a question, I'm intrigued to know why you wouldn't see something coming from nothing as absurd? I just considered it to be self-obvious really, so was a little surprised by your push-back.

This premise forms part of my argument for reasoning something must have always existed, it's just a matter of identifying who or what. This we can call "God" if a personal being, or "god" (if we believe such to be impersonal).

My kids understand such reasoning, whereas I think they might struggle to understand looking backwards where we only witness anything that exists being caused to exist (hence my son asked where did God come from?). The buck has to stop somewhere though with some immovable foundation that's always existed.
Yes. All that you said is correct. Haha, what's the problem again? Like, when I said it could very well have started from nothing (creation of the Earth or universe) I didn't mean that nothingness was before God -- that isn't compatible with what/who God is.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#14

Post by Kenny » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:39 am

IceMobster wrote:
Kenny wrote:
IceMobster wrote:I would appreciate if atheists could point out what is wrong with this picture (if anything).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/yylfp9bvb/]Image
Are you under the impression this is what all Atheists believe?

Ken
Of course not. That is exactly why I shared this picture here and am asking. :mrgreen:
Feel free to correct the picture and point out the mistakes and add your views etc.
Fair enough; I would start first with getting rid of the name, because anyone who has a clue about what Atheism is about would know there is no such thing as an Atheist Universe because Atheism is not about what you believe, but about what you do not believe.

Ken

neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3395
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 91 times
Contact:

Re: "Atheism's universe"

#15

Post by neo-x » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 am

IceMobster wrote:I would appreciate if atheists could point out what is wrong with this picture (if anything).

[url=https://postimg.org/image/yylfp9bvb/]Image
Even as a thiest I think this is pretty bad picture, filled with strawman arguments.

1. The common consensus would be that the matter always existed. So there would be no "nothing"
2. There is no such thing as an "ordered" universe, that is a loaded word. Theists who believe that are just putting stock in the wrong place. the more we know the more we understand that the universe is chaotic at best and worse mildly chaotic.
3. First signs of life came after first what happened was that chemical reactions happened.
4. False premise...no assistance needed if evolution happens.
5. Non-sequitur ... there is no book which says it has to be so. But this is still the wrong reason, even though it's technically correct. Pattern recognition is at the heart of all living things. in humans its much more enhanced and that has caused our brains to do more, process more but its a step by step procedure. Rationality is not a problem, even a bee can solve distance problems on its own scale. Conscience is not understood right now but there's research in that area incomplete but seems promising - e.g Crocs have big brains but their brains anatomy is different. the biggest portion of their brain is devoted to smell. Humans on the other hand have a lot of their brains working to process vision and perhaps conscience evolved because of a result of that, to distinguish between so much visual input and perhaps some other factors.

I think James Bishop attacked something he didn't understand.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com

Post Reply