Is Belief in God Delusional or Non-Belief?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Mazzy
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Belief in God Delusional or Non-Belief?

Post by Mazzy »

crochet1949 wrote:Let's just go for the top ten :ebiggrin:
Here is one of Dawkins works "The God Delusion".

".....Creative intelligences, being evolved, necessarily arrive late in the universe, and therefore cannot be responsible for designing it. God,in the sense defined, is a delusion; and, as later chapters will show, a pernicious delusion."
https://luptaanticapitalista.files.word ... awkins.pdf

Interestingly on page 124, 125 Dawkins presents his refute to the argument for irreducible complexity and the eye, but admits if proven it would destroy TOE. Dawkins hopes to make creationists that use this argument look silly. Now look at this....

"The details of the retina in the fossil hagfish indicates that it had a functional visual system, meaning that living hagfish eyes have been lost through millions of years of evolution, and these animals are not as primitively simple as we originally believed. As a result they are not the most appropriate model for understanding eye evolution."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 222253.htm

Given YECs and day age creationists believe Gods creation was created perfect and then went through the fall, the above information is exactly what one would expect to find in the fossil evidence, devolution. John Sanford, inventor of the gene gun, and atheist turned YEC had lots to say on devolution, but was ridiculed by many for his papers on it.

Irreducible complexity presents a credible argument for a God that did not use gradual change to create his creatures. :esmile:
Last edited by Mazzy on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Interesting comments.
Mazzy
Valued Member

Post by Mazzy »

crochet1949 wrote:Interesting comments.
Thanks. :esmile:

The first link in my last post is a downloadable copy of Dawkins book, "The God Delusion".
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Post by IceMobster »

crochet1949 wrote:Okay -- it is the Claim that it isn't possible to know for sure that God exists. Well -- either He does or He doesn't. And since we have a book that says He Does exist -- then obviously He Does. And we Can see His 'handiwork' as we observe nature. And the positive effect that He has on the lives of those who Do believe.
crochet1949 wrote:If I could back up for a moment to a comment that Kenny made -- about the book saying that God Doesn't exit. What book are you referring to?
No wonder women were not allowed to be theologians or priests. I just facepalmed so hard.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

IceMobster wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:Okay -- it is the Claim that it isn't possible to know for sure that God exists. Well -- either He does or He doesn't. And since we have a book that says He Does exist -- then obviously He Does. And we Can see His 'handiwork' as we observe nature. And the positive effect that He has on the lives of those who Do believe.
crochet1949 wrote:If I could back up for a moment to a comment that Kenny made -- about the book saying that God Doesn't exit. What book are you referring to?
No wonder women were not allowed to be theologians or priests. I just facepalmed so hard.

:shakehead: y/:] y=; "facepalmed' I couldn't locate. Unless it's the y=; that you're referring to.

<sigh> I Thought that Kenny was referring to a specific belief system / book that claimed that God doesn't exist. But he was referring to specific people and their books written. That doesn't phase me in the least.
I was referring to God's Word / Bible.
Is belief in God......non-belief? It could only be considered a non-belief if there was no God To believe in.
:ebiggrin: y@};-
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Please go easy on the women here. They can't help being the weaker sex.
:knitting:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

IceMobster wrote:

:shakehead: y/:] y=; "facepalmed' I couldn't locate. Unless it's the y=; that you're referring to.
crochet1949 wrote:<sigh> I Thought that Kenny was referring to a specific belief system / book that claimed that God doesn't exist. But he was referring to specific people and their books written. That doesn't phase me in the least.
I wasn't attempting to phase you, I was trying to point the illogic behind the idea that if a book says "X" is true, that it must be true.
crochet1949 wrote:I was referring to God's Word / Bible.
Is belief in God......non-belief? It could only be considered a non-belief if there was no God To believe in.
How are you defining non-belief? I suspect you have non-belief that Halle Selassie is God.

zkrn
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

crochet1949 wrote: :shakehead: y/:] y=; "facepalmed' I couldn't locate. Unless it's the y=; that you're referring to.

<sigh> I Thought that Kenny was referring to a specific belief system / book that claimed that God doesn't exist. But he was referring to specific people and their books written. That doesn't phase me in the least.
I was referring to God's Word / Bible.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facepalm
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

zkrn wrote:
defining non-belief? I suspect you have non-belief that Halle Selassie is God.

zkrn
Hey zkrn,

Is Halle Selassie any relation to Haile Selasse?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
zkrn wrote:

zkrn
Hey zkrn,

(LOL)

K
RickD wrote
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Kenny wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

crochet1949 wrote:<sigh> I Thought that Kenny was referring to a specific belief system / book that claimed that God doesn't exist. But he was referring to specific people and their books written. That doesn't phase me in the least.
I wasn't attempting to phase you, I was trying to point the illogic behind the idea that if a book says "X" is true, that it must be true.
How are you defining non-belief? I suspect you have non-belief that Halle Selassie is God.

zkrn

Whomever "Halle Selassie" IS -- That person is obviously Not God.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
zkrn wrote:

zkrn
Hey zkrn,

(LOL)

K
Omg! Kenny is talking to me again!
:fainting: :jumping: :rotfl: :twodancing: :rockcool:

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

crochet1949 wrote:
Kenny wrote:
IceMobster wrote:

zkrn

Whomever "Halle Selassie" IS -- That person is obviously Not God.
It is obvious to you and I because we are non-believers, but to believers in that religion, he obviously IS God.

Ken
RickD wrote
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Kenny -- Okay -- I understand what you are saying. Everyone believes that Their belief in Their God is Obviously the Right belief. The God who I know Is the Right God is the One we learn about in God's Word. His Word.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

crochet1949 wrote:Kenny -- Okay -- I understand what you are saying. Everyone believes that Their belief in Their God is Obviously the Right belief. The God who I know Is the Right God is the One we learn about in God's Word. His Word.
And how is that different than what everyone else believes?

Ken
RickD wrote