When it comes to science...

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

When it comes to science...

#1

Post by Nessa » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage?
Less intelligent?
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist?

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9895
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#2

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Of course on all three accounts.
They'll keep coming up with goddidit answers.
There's no major discoveries by, no intelligent scientists who have ever be Christian.
Christianity is just incompatible with Science, unless you're happy with goddidit responses.

:wave:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#3

Post by RickD » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage?
Absolute disadvantage. Christians create God so they don't have to deal with reality.

Less intelligent?
Absolutely. They surveyed 1000 atheists, and the overwhelming majority said that Christians aren't as smart as the purely scientific minded naturalists.



Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist?

Everyone knows Christians are biased creatards. Christians can't look at anything objectively. Stupid Christians just use the God of the gaps argument, because they're too stupid to come up with the correct answer.
These users liked this post by RickD:
Kurieuo (Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:14 pm)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#4

Post by edwardmurphy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Less intelligent? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist? - Not typically, but I suppose it could happen. For example, if you're a YEC paleontologist your beliefs are going to interfere with your ability to look at your data impartially. I doubt that kind of conflict comes up much, though.

If you're accustomed to privilege equality may feel like oppression.

Before you ask why ask if.

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction and the distinction between true and false no longer exist.

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#5

Post by Nessa » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:28 am

edwardmurphy wrote:
Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Less intelligent? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist? - Not typically, but I suppose it could happen. For example, if you're a YEC paleontologist your beliefs are going to interfere with your ability to look at your data impartially. I doubt that kind of conflict comes up much, though.

I appreciate you giving your thoughts.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#6

Post by RickD » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:28 am

Nessa wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:
Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Less intelligent? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist? - Not typically, but I suppose it could happen. For example, if you're a YEC paleontologist your beliefs are going to interfere with your ability to look at your data impartially. I doubt that kind of conflict comes up much, though.

I appreciate you giving your thoughts.
What about my well thought out response?

How rude!!!! y[-( y=;
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#7

Post by Nessa » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:42 am

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
edwardmurphy wrote:
Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Less intelligent? - I don't know. I doubt it.
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist? - Not typically, but I suppose it could happen. For example, if you're a YEC paleontologist your beliefs are going to interfere with your ability to look at your data impartially. I doubt that kind of conflict comes up much, though.

I appreciate you giving your thoughts.
What about my well thought out response?

How rude!!!! y[-( y=;
Seems like you already gotta 'like' for your well thought out response...

Don't wanna go giving you a big head :P

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#8

Post by crochet1949 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:59 am

Just Maybe -- Scientists who are Christians simply don't go tootin their horns about it. I looked it up once and found that Lots of famous scientists / an astronaut or two Are Christians.
It's Almost , like, if a person Doesn't believe in evolution, they must have a screw loose Somewhere. That they aren't smart enough to be Real , Top-notch scientists.
That attitude just erks me a bit.

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#9

Post by Audie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:45 am

crochet1949 wrote:Just Maybe -- Scientists who are Christians simply don't go tootin their horns about it. I looked it up once and found that Lots of famous scientists / an astronaut or two Are Christians.
It's Almost , like, if a person Doesn't believe in evolution, they must have a screw loose Somewhere. That they aren't smart enough to be Real , Top-notch scientists.
That attitude just erks me a bit.
Having been around scientists all my life, a good many of whom are Christians, I dont find this to be an accurate assessment. I'd say the great majority of Christians / scientist have no problem accepting ToE as valid.

It is a very small percent of scientists who do not accept ToE, and probably every one who does not feels they must reject it for reasons related to their interpretation of the bible.

A person can do excellent work as a researcher in other fields, nothing about a belief in bigfoot or flying saucers need interrupt their cancer research.

If as may be the case, scientists who dont accept ToE are kind of quiet about it, that is understandable.

Scientists do like to speculate, sometimes getting pretty wild with their imagination. It is party of how science progresses.

They do NOT like to commit themselves, professionally, to something they cannot support with any sort of facts. THAT is why a scientist who disbelieves evolution will tend to be quiet about it. He has zero facts to go with his opinion.

The attitude that you say irks you would be, probably, impossible to find in real life.

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#10

Post by Audie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:47 am

Nessa wrote:Do you think a Scientist who is a Christian....

Is at a disadvantage?
Less intelligent?
Has more bias than a non Christian Scientist?
no

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9895
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#11

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:56 am

There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
These users liked this post by Kurieuo:
Nicki (Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 am)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
edwardmurphy
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#12

Post by edwardmurphy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 am

crochet1949 wrote:It's Almost , like, if a person Doesn't believe in evolution, they must have a screw loose Somewhere.
That they aren't smart enough to be Real , Top-notch scientists.
It's one thing to say that evolution is obviously true, while simultaneously believing that it's part of God's design for the Universe. I don't believe that, but I wouldn't be dismissive of someone who did. It's something else entirely to believe that the Universe is 6,000 years old and evolution is a hoax. That's an irrational position that favors a religious interpretation over massive scientific evidence to the contrary. That's not going to keep someone from competently researching the heart, nanotechnology, or some other field that has nothing to do with the origins of life or the Universe, but there are fields of study where belief in YEC is definitely going to interfere with a person's objectivity.
If you're accustomed to privilege equality may feel like oppression.

Before you ask why ask if.

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction and the distinction between true and false no longer exist.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#13

Post by RickD » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:50 am

Kurieuo wrote:There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
No, I have really changed sides. I'm just tired of all these stupid Christians. They're all a bunch of pie in the sky morons.

They need to get a grasp of reality.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9895
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#14

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 am

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
No, I have really changed sides. I'm just tired of all these stupid Christians. They're all a bunch of pie in the sky morons.

They need to get a grasp of reality.
I knew you weren't a true Christian!
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: When it comes to science...

#15

Post by Audie » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:18 am

Kurieuo wrote:There is something odd about this thread. Like people have changed sides or something in answering Nessa's questions. Rick, I bet if we came out and said the opposite to what we did, that Ed and Audie would have also had opposite responses. :P
Try it. I didnt change sides yet, not likely to.

Post Reply