Is Atheism a Belief System?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Post Reply
User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#61

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

Apply your version of reasoning to those and see how it works out.

How is your supply of evidence against ToE coming along? :D
:roll: eye roll as in always the same refrains between you two.

Nonetheless, I tried explaining evolution to my daughter, she told me it sounds like a fairy tale.
I'll bet cha if I were to explain half the stories in the Bible to a six year old who has never heard them; they would think the bible sounds like a fairy tale. Ya think?
I challenge them both ways, but my daughter finds God's non-existence unfathomable.
I was talking about a six year old who never heard any of the stories of the Bible. I'm sure your daughter has heard a ton of em already; right?
Yes, I've brainwashed her. Entirely. Absolutely. :mrgreen:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#62

Post by Kenny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:12 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Evolution doesnt disprove God for me though.
I agree! It doesn't for the Pope, and it doesn't for most Christians I know.

Ken
And yet, Evolution forms a logically necessary part of the Atheist's belief system.
No; Evolution and God aren't the only choices one can make ya know.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#63

Post by Audie » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

Apply your version of reasoning to those and see how it works out.

How is your supply of evidence against ToE coming along? :D
:roll: eye roll as in always the same refrains between you two.

Nonetheless, I tried explaining evolution to my daughter, she told me it sounds like a fairy tale.
I'll bet cha if I were to explain half the stories in the Bible to a six year old who has never heard them; they would think the bible sounds like a fairy tale. Ya think?

Ken
Low hanigin' fruit there, pard.

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#64

Post by Audie » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Kurieuo wrote:A second question Audie, if you don't mind.
Why do you think if ToE can't be disproven that it must be true?
How about a third. Do you think there is value in being tiresome?

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#65

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:36 pm

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:A second question Audie, if you don't mind.
Why do you think if ToE can't be disproven that it must be true?
How about a third. Do you think there is value in being tiresome?
Thanks for answering the question, yet again!

Surely you must see the irony to your own question.
You don't seem to like the mirror Auds?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#66

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Evolution doesnt disprove God for me though.
I agree! It doesn't for the Pope, and it doesn't for most Christians I know.

Ken
And yet, Evolution forms a logically necessary part of the Atheist's belief system.
No; Evolution and God aren't the only choices one can make ya know.
Don't be silly Kenny. If not Evolution, what can an Atheist possibly believe regarding where the rich diversity of life on Earth came from? God? Oh, there is panspermia I suppose from alien life in outer space, but this just pushes the question back one.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3502
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#67

Post by Audie » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:A second question Audie, if you don't mind.
Why do you think if ToE can't be disproven that it must be true?
How about a third. Do you think there is value in being tiresome?
Thanks for answering the question, yet again!

Surely you must see the irony to your own question.
You don't seem to like the mirror Auds?

Your stupid question was not worthy of any other response.

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#68

Post by Nessa » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Ilove Audie, deeply, dearly.

In alot if ways we agree, orat least understand. Except about God. I dont discount evolution, personally, I cant yet Audie discounts God.

Why??
Can't speak for Audie, but if I were to, I suspect you see evidence of Evolution, so you can't dismiss it; and she doesn't see any evidence of God, so she does.

Ken
What evidences do you see for evolution?
It was Storyteller who said she doesn't dismiss evolution. You may want to direct that question to her.

Ken
If you believe in evolution then I'd like to direct the question at you y:-?

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#69

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:A second question Audie, if you don't mind.
Why do you think if ToE can't be disproven that it must be true?
How about a third. Do you think there is value in being tiresome?
Thanks for answering the question, yet again!

Surely you must see the irony to your own question.
You don't seem to like the mirror Auds?

Your stupid question was not worthy of any other response.
Stupid question? I just notice that you always seem to hum and haw with words like:
  • "No one has shown evidence that disproves evolution, give me a piece of evidence that disproves evolution, no one has shown evidence that disproves evolution."
Why by using this same logic, it's easy to argue God exists. :roll:

:poke: y>:D<
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#70

Post by Byblos » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
kenny wrote:How do you know the Universe was created? Perhaps something has always existed in one form or another.
I'm the one making the claim kenny, you don't get to redefine my claim. I am claiming the universe, as complex as it is, is created, which, granted for the sake of this discussion only, is an extraordinary claim. You contend that that requires equally as extraordinary evidence. The way the expression is understood, it implies that the creator must also be at least as complex as its creation, correct?
If we are going to go by your terms and assume the Universe was created, extraordinary evidence would probably have to come from the one who actually did the creating; not someone else who claims to speak for this creator.

Ken
Like what? Be a little more specific.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#71

Post by Kenny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Evolution doesnt disprove God for me though.
I agree! It doesn't for the Pope, and it doesn't for most Christians I know.

Ken
And yet, Evolution forms a logically necessary part of the Atheist's belief system.
No; Evolution and God aren't the only choices one can make ya know.
Don't be silly Kenny. If not Evolution, what can an Atheist possibly believe regarding where the rich diversity of life on Earth came from? God?
Anything BUT God. That leaves it pretty wide open!
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#72

Post by Kurieuo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote: I agree! It doesn't for the Pope, and it doesn't for most Christians I know.

Ken
And yet, Evolution forms a logically necessary part of the Atheist's belief system.
No; Evolution and God aren't the only choices one can make ya know.
Don't be silly Kenny. If not Evolution, what can an Atheist possibly believe regarding where the rich diversity of life on Earth came from? God?
Anything BUT God. That leaves it pretty wide open!
Yes, the door might be "pretty wide open", but have you peeked inside to see what else is there?
Please, I beg you, don't keep me in suspense any longer, if not Evolution what else can an Atheist believe in?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#73

Post by Kenny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Ilove Audie, deeply, dearly.

In alot if ways we agree, orat least understand. Except about God. I dont discount evolution, personally, I cant yet Audie discounts God.

Why??
Can't speak for Audie, but if I were to, I suspect you see evidence of Evolution, so you can't dismiss it; and she doesn't see any evidence of God, so she does.

Ken
What evidences do you see for evolution?
It was Storyteller who said she doesn't dismiss evolution. You may want to direct that question to her.

Ken
If you believe in evolution then I'd like to direct the question at you y:-?
I don't know much about astronomy; most of Evolution I am familiar with has to do with bacteria, germs, insects, plants, and animals.
I don't think I am going to be able to provide an answer that would satisfy you because I've never felt a need to "pick a belief" when it comes to many of the mysteries science has yet to answer. The reply "I don't know" is not only the truth, but it is a perfectly reasonable answer to any question I might not have an answer for.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#74

Post by Byblos » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: And yet, Evolution forms a logically necessary part of the Atheist's belief system.
No; Evolution and God aren't the only choices one can make ya know.
Don't be silly Kenny. If not Evolution, what can an Atheist possibly believe regarding where the rich diversity of life on Earth came from? God?
Anything BUT God. That leaves it pretty wide open!
Yes, the door might be "pretty wide open", but have you peeked inside to see what else is there?
Please, I beg you, don't keep me in suspense any longer, if not Evolution what else can an Atheist believe in?
He already articulated his belief system quite convincingly I think. Anything but God.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#75

Post by Kenny » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
kenny wrote:How do you know the Universe was created? Perhaps something has always existed in one form or another.
I'm the one making the claim kenny, you don't get to redefine my claim. I am claiming the universe, as complex as it is, is created, which, granted for the sake of this discussion only, is an extraordinary claim. You contend that that requires equally as extraordinary evidence. The way the expression is understood, it implies that the creator must also be at least as complex as its creation, correct?
If we are going to go by your terms and assume the Universe was created, extraordinary evidence would probably have to come from the one who actually did the creating; not someone else who claims to speak for this creator.

Ken
Like what? Be a little more specific.
This creator would have to come out of hiding and actually speak for himself! Now that would be extraordinary evidence! Agree?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

Post Reply