Is Atheism a Belief System?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

Apply your version of reasoning to those and see how it works out.

How is your supply of evidence against ToE coming along? :D
:roll: eye roll as in always the same refrains between you two.

Nonetheless, I tried explaining evolution to my daughter, she told me it sounds like a fairy tale.
I'll bet cha if I were to explain half the stories in the Bible to a six year old who has never heard them; they would think the bible sounds like a fairy tale. Ya think?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
That's an extraordinary claim. Show us the likewise evidence.
If you told me you had chickens that would on average lay 3 eggs per day, I would believe you. As a matter of fact; if I were in the market of buying chickens, I would probably buy one of your chickens strictly on what you told me.
However; if you told me you had a chicken that would lay eggs made of solid gold, and you were willing to sell me this chicken at a reasonable price, now your word is no longer sufficient; before I make such an investment, I am going to require some evidence to prove your claim has merit. At minimum I am going to require you provide me one of those eggs for personal inspection; I will probably go as far as requiring a demonstration from this chicken under observed conditions.
Does this sound reasonable to you?

Ken
Sure, that sounds reasonable.

Now apply that to the (creation of) the universe and tell me what kind of extraordinary evidence is required.
How do you know the Universe was created? Perhaps something has always existed in one form or another.

Ken
It's like déjà vu all over again.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:A second question Audie, if you don't mind.
Why do you think if ToE can't be disproven that it must be true?
If you saw a ton on evidence pointing towards something, and no evidence against it, wouldn't you think it were true?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Storyteller wrote:Ilove Audie, deeply, dearly.

In alot if ways we agree, orat least understand. Except about God. I dont discount evolution, personally, I cant yet Audie discounts God.

Why??
Can't speak for Audie, but if I were to, I suspect you see evidence of Evolution, so you can't dismiss it; and she doesn't see any evidence of God, so she does.

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:

In alot if ways we agree, orat least understand. Except about God. I dont discount evolution, personally, I cant yet Audie discounts God.

Why??
Can't speak for Audie, but if I were to, I suspect you see evidence of Evolution, so you can't dismiss it; and she doesn't see any evidence of God, so she does.

Ken
What evidences do you see for evolution?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

kenny wrote:How do you know the Universe was created? Perhaps something has always existed in one form or another.
I'm the one making the claim kenny, you don't get to redefine my claim. I am claiming the universe, as complex as it is, is created, which, granted for the sake of this discussion only, is an extraordinary claim. You contend that that requires equally as extraordinary evidence. The way the expression is understood, it implies that the creator must also be at least as complex as its creation, correct? If not, then please explain what you mean by extraordinary evidence.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
If you saw a ton on evidence pointing towards something, and no evidence against it, wouldn't you think it were true
Yes, kind of like God.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

Nonetheless, I tried explaining evolution to my daughter, she told me it sounds like a fairy tale.
I'll bet cha if I were to explain half the stories in the Bible to a six year old who has never heard them; they would think the bible sounds like a fairy tale. Ya think?
I challenge them both ways, but my daughter finds God's non-existence unfathomable.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
kenny wrote:How do you know the Universe was created? Perhaps something has always existed in one form or another.
I'm the one making the claim kenny, you don't get to redefine my claim. I am claiming the universe, as complex as it is, is created, which, granted for the sake of this discussion only, is an extraordinary claim. You contend that that requires equally as extraordinary evidence. The way the expression is understood, it implies that the creator must also be at least as complex as its creation, correct?
If we are going to go by your terms and assume the Universe was created, extraordinary evidence would probably have to come from the one who actually did the creating; not someone else who claims to speak for this creator.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Why??

Ken
What evidences do you see for evolution?
It was Storyteller who said she doesn't dismiss evolution. You may want to direct that question to her.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
If you saw a ton on evidence pointing towards something, and no evidence against it, wouldn't you think it were true
Yes, kind of like God.
Exactly! Just like you see evidence of God, others see evidence of evolution.

Ken
RickD wrote
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Evolution doesnt disprove God for me though.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:

I challenge them both ways, but my daughter finds God's non-existence unfathomable.
I was talking about a six year old who never heard any of the stories of the Bible. I'm sure your daughter has heard a ton of em already; right?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Storyteller wrote:Evolution doesnt disprove God for me though.
I agree! It doesn't for the Pope, and it doesn't for most Christians I know.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Evolution doesnt disprove God for me though.
I agree! It doesn't for the Pope, and it doesn't for most Christians I know.

Ken
And yet, Evolution forms a logically necessary part of the Atheist's belief system.