Is Atheism a Belief System?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Nessa, who are you talking to in your posts?
Kenny
:econfused: Tell me Nessa, can you see this Kenny? y:-?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny
So you weren't just being obtuse :P

No, but Im intrigued to see where you're going with this ;)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny

Hmm. I wonder why you use the word "obtuse", is such something Kenny brings to mind? y:-?

Nonetheless, how do you know this Kenny exists if you haven't seen him, or is Kenny a she?
(two questions in one there, sorry!)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny

Hmm. I wonder why you use the word "obtuse", is this something Kenny brings to mind? y:-?

Nonetheless, how do you know this Kenny exists if you haven't seen him, or is Kenny a she?
Well, as far as I can tell, Kenny has the ability to communicate with the intelligence of a human being. He has shown to some different traits such as humour and being obtuse when responding to specific complex questions and discussions. Now this by itself doesn't prove that anything he has said about himself is true but it does prove, at least to me, he exists.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote: Kenny

Hmm. I wonder why you use the word "obtuse", is this something Kenny brings to mind? y:-?

Well, as far as I can tell, Kenny has the ability to communicate with the intelligence of a human being. He has shown to some different traits such as humour and being obtuse when responding to specific complex questions and discussions. Now this by itself doesn't prove that anything he has said about himself is true but it does prove, at least to me, he exists.
So Kenny is a "he", did you actually verify this? If not, while "he" may communicate with the intelligence of a human being *cough* *cough* (sorry a bit sick atm), how do you know that "he" doesn't really have a v-jay-jay?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: :econfused: Tell me Nessa, can you see this Kenny? y:-?

So Kenny is a "he", did you actually verify this? If not, while "he" may communicate with the intelligence of a human being *cough* *cough* (sorry a bit sick atm), how do you know that "he" doesn't really have a v-jay-jay?
When I was shopping the other day I saw a women's mag with big letters on the front that a woman had two...so I don't know if kenny is a he or she or how many of what he's got :shock:
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote: So you weren't just being obtuse :P

When I was shopping the other day I saw a women's mag with big letters on the front that a woman had two...so I don't know if kenny is a he or she or how many of what he's got :shock:
See, it's always best not to believe until you have evidence. We just don't know. It's stupid to say. In fact, you really don't know whether someone called "Kenny" does in fact exist. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just not credible, not using their brain, being gullible.

It could be RickD pretending under another profile (sorry Rick), it could be me, it could be Audie wanting to be the better sex y=; , it could be Storyteller like telling a story... we just don't know.

So then, then the most logical position is to be A-kenniest. If you disagree, then please show me the proof. It's just stupid otherwise to believe and be Kenniest. Oh, and if someone takes up the challenge to say Atheism is different because extraordinary proof requires extraordinary evidence, then lets ask the question where the REAL extraordinary lies?

The universe having a beginning by coming from nothing in particular, absolutely nothing extraordinary about the stable set of laws in the universe, planet Earth forming and allowing life to survive and thrive, life to have just popped into existence, having some strange consciousness emerge, meaningful concepts such as goodness, love, fairness, justice, persons and such arise, all such is by no means extraordinary, needs zero explanation. Something like such, is what one must believe, to remain a logically consistent Atheist.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Since we are not going to get a unified response from our skeptic guests on this website, I think we should, to move forward, make the decision that it is a belief, a worldview, an ideology, what have you.

Is it going over their heads? Yes, but there's really no other way of moving forward with our discussions unless we decide on concrete definitions: we need to be speaking the same language to each other. And if that means some people aren't on board, well, that's the way it has to be.

All in favor?
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: Hmm. I wonder why you use the word "obtuse", is this something Kenny brings to mind? y:-?

See, it's always best not to believe until you have evidence. We just don't know. It's stupid to say. In fact, you really don't know whether someone called "Kenny" does in fact exist. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just not credible, not using their brain, being gullible.

It could be RickD pretending under another profile (sorry Rick), it could be me, it could be Audie wanting to be the better sex y=; , it could be Storyteller like telling a story... we just don't know.

So then, then the most logical position is to be A-kenniest. If you disagree, then please show me the proof. It's just stupid otherwise to believe and be Kenniest. Oh, and if someone takes up the challenge to say Atheism is different because extraordinary proof requires extraordinary evidence, then lets ask the question where the REAL extraordinary lies?
If I were a different person than I claim I am, would it make a difference? I ask questions, I answer questions, I communicate with Nessa; does she have a vested interest in me being a middle aged man? Do you think she would respond to me differently if I were say a woman? A child? A Christian pretending to be something else?
If the claim of who Kenny is were false, nobody would care. If the claim of Christianity were false....
As they say; extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:

If I were a different person than I claim I am, would it make a difference? I ask questions, I answer questions, I communicate with Nessa; does she have a vested interest in me being a middle aged man? Do you think she would respond to me differently if I were say a woman? A child? A Christian pretending to be something else?
If the claim of who Kenny is were false, nobody would care. If the claim of Christianity were false....

Ken
For some reason I thought you were younger than that. Maybe alot younger?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: So Kenny is a "he", did you actually verify this? If not, while "he" may communicate with the intelligence of a human being *cough* *cough* (sorry a bit sick atm), how do you know that "he" doesn't really have a v-jay-jay?

Ken
For some reason I thought you were younger than that. Maybe alot younger?
Maybe a lot, a lot, a lot, younger?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
That's an extraordinary claim. Show us the likewise evidence.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
The universe having a beginning by coming from nothing in particular, absolutely nothing extraordinary about the stable set of laws in the universe, planet Earth forming and allowing life to survive and thrive, life to have just popped into existence, having some strange consciousness emerge, meaningful concepts such as goodness, love, fairness, justice, persons and such arise, all such is by no means extraordinary, needs zero explanation. Something like such, is what one must believe, to remain a logically consistent Atheist.

Something not very much at all like that, actually.

And of course, where you lightly touch base with it, you editorialize it so!

One could say with similar accuracy that the latest Ms Australia, say,
has big pores, her eyebrows and teeth are crooked, one eye is bigger and higher ( or lower than the other), and really, the whole face is lopsided.

Oh yaeh, blotchy skin too.

True, all, but is it really a reasonable description?

The big difference is the description of the Ms Oz would be accurate, the one about atheists contains a lot of fantasy.
Last edited by Audie on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

Apply your version of reasoning to those and see how it works out.

How is your supply of evidence against ToE coming along? :D