Is Atheism a Belief System?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Is Atheism a Belief System?

#1

Post by Nessa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:46 pm


User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21034
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#2

Post by RickD » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Good find Nessa.

But instead of dealing with the link, I think I'll take my ball and go home. :greedy:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Katabole
Valued Member
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:42 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#3

Post by Katabole » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks for the article. It was written by Andy Bannister. I have his recent book, 'The Atheist Who Didn't Exist: Or The Dreadful Consequences of Bad Arguments'. I really liked the book and it is funny.
Well it may be the devil or it may be the Lord but you know you gotta serve somebody. Bob Dylan

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#4

Post by Kenny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:54 pm

I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#5

Post by Nessa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:06 pm

Kenny wrote:
I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#6

Post by Kenny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#7

Post by Nessa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#8

Post by Kenny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:43 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#9

Post by Nessa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I didn’t have the patience to go through the entire link, but I did get through the first section thus I will comment on the part I read.

His friend that claims Sweden doesn’t exist is making a claim. If he is trying to convince someone other than himself of this claim he needs to provide evidence to support his claim, because the burden of proof is on the person making the claim.
The same could be said of an Atheist; if he goes around telling people God does not exist, he is making a claim thus if he expects to convince someone else, he needs to provide evidence to support his claim.

Ken
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
So would you say, Dawkins, for instance who makes many claims about God, has a belief system?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#10

Post by Kenny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:50 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
If someone makes a claim does that mean they have a belief?
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
So would you say, Dawkins, for instance who makes many claims about God, has a belief system?
Believe it or not; I know very little about Dawkins, or other (so called) prominent Atheists. I suspect most christians know much more about him than I because for me he is a non issue. I can't comment on what he might believe or say, but I would say it is probably possible for someone to make atheism a belief system.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#11

Post by Nessa » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Obviously he is going to believe what he is claiming; so yes.

Ken
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
So would you say, Dawkins, for instance who makes many claims about God, has a belief system?
Believe it or not; I know very little about Dawkins, or other (so called) prominent Atheists. I suspect most christians know much more about him than I because for me he is a non issue. I can't comment on what he might believe or say, but I would say it is probably possible for someone to make atheism a belief system.

Ken
So you dont think atheism is necessarily a belief system though it's possible for someone to make it one?

Would you say you had a belief system about God?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3662
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#12

Post by Kenny » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
So when an atheist makes any sort of claim about God, then would you say an atheist has a belief?
Everybody has a belief about one issue or another, but yes; when an atheist makes a claim about God, that is a belief.

Ken
So would you say, Dawkins, for instance who makes many claims about God, has a belief system?
Believe it or not; I know very little about Dawkins, or other (so called) prominent Atheists. I suspect most christians know much more about him than I because for me he is a non issue. I can't comment on what he might believe or say, but I would say it is probably possible for someone to make atheism a belief system.

Ken
So you dont think atheism is necessarily a belief system though it's possible for someone to make it one?

Would you say you had a belief system about God?
Not sure if my opinion on issues (beliefs) could be considered a "belief system" but if is it; it definitely doesn't involve God

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

crackpot
Familiar Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:15 am
Christian: No
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#13

Post by crackpot » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:28 pm

I didn't read the link because I don't need to. Here is the answer to the question in the title:

A: For a few atheists, their atheism is built around beliefs. Many of these beliefs are grounded in pseudoscience and fueled by anger, vanity or other negative emotions. That's why many of the atheists who post on forums seem angry and use vulgar language. You'll also find they had various serious difficulties while growing up.

Most atheists just don't think about why they are atheists and these will share in the foolish beliefs of society at large. Karma comes immediately to mind for some reason...

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 9896
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 627 times
Been liked: 643 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#14

Post by Kurieuo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:46 pm

Nessa, who are you talking to in your posts?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

#15

Post by Nessa » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:57 pm

Kurieuo wrote:Nessa, who are you talking to in your posts?
Kenny

Post Reply