Atheists: What would you say?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#16

Post by Nessa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:36 pm

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
I disagree ;)
I think theres alot to be learnt from folly and that in itself makes it worthwhile.

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3204
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#17

Post by Nessa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip

I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken
Thought this thread would bring you back ;)
What if He said to you I am the God of the bible...the Christian God?
Then like Dawkins; I would probably ask why he remained hidden. I would then attempt to find out which (if any) of the various denominations got it right, and instead of getting the information from flawed people who write about God, I’d get my information from God himself.

Ken
How would you know He was who he said he was. Are you saying you would just believe whatever He says about himself?

crackpot
Familiar Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:15 am
Christian: No
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#18

Post by crackpot » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:10 pm

Nessa wrote: Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip
Dawkins answered the question admirably.

He evaded it admirably as well.

He's an idiot.

A Prophet for idiots.

To answer the question without political guile:

"Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
These users liked this post by crackpot:
Nicki (Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:19 am)

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3485
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#19

Post by Audie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Nessa wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
I disagree ;)
I think theres alot to be learnt from folly and that in itself makes it worthwhile.
You guys sure talk about him a lot.
It is suggedtive of group reassurance.

Who is supposedly instructed, in what?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#20

Post by Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:51 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:What would you say to God if you found out He did exist after you die?

Dawkins own answer can be heard near the end of this clip

I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken
Then he wouldn't be God Kenny.
Wouldn't that depend upon how you define God?

Ken

No Ken.
A god can depend on a definition but THE God must be certain things or else He is NOT God.
Suppose upon death you find out you were wrong? Would you reject God because he was not what you expected him to be?

Ken

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#21

Post by Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I find Dawkins response to be a rather good one. If I found out a life after death, and a being introduced himself to me as God, my response may be similar to his, but I wouldn’t assume any of the religions people recognize actually got it right. I wouldn’t assume he was either Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Vinishu, or any other God mankind has worshipped over the years, I wouldn’t assume he desired to be worshipped, I wouldn’t assume he wanted to be known by mankind, I wouldn’t assume he is perfect, righteous, or fair, and I wouldn’t assume all the other loaded terms people associate with God. I would then seek to find out who he is, what (if anything) he wants, and my reaction to him will depend on who this God turns out to be.

Ken
Thought this thread would bring you back ;)
What if He said to you I am the God of the bible...the Christian God?
Then like Dawkins; I would probably ask why he remained hidden. I would then attempt to find out which (if any) of the various denominations got it right, and instead of getting the information from flawed people who write about God, I’d get my information from God himself.

Ken
How would you know He was who he said he was. Are you saying you would just believe whatever He says about himself?
If this being told me he was the God Christians worshipped, I would probably believe him. With that said; as I said before I wouldn't assume the Christian description of him was right, (I would be somewhat relieved if I found out most of their descriptions of him were wrong) and I would attempt to find out for myself the truth concerning God.

Ken

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#22

Post by Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote: Don't tell me you miss ole obtuse Kenny! (LOL)

Ken
Actually I do think of you from time to time and hope one of my threads or someone else's will inspire you to post your thoughts :esmile:
Aww; Thank you!

Ken

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#23

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Kenny wrote:Don't tell me you miss ole obtuse Kenny! (LOL)
Rick! Kenny admitted to being obtuse! :esurprised:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#24

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 pm

Audie wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
I disagree ;)
I think theres alot to be learnt from folly and that in itself makes it worthwhile.
You guys sure talk about him a lot.
It is suggedtive of group reassurance.

Who is supposedly instructed, in what?
We learn alot from you Audie. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3485
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#25

Post by Audie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:01 am

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:Hubris? Is that the spread made from chickpeas, that people are putting on everything now?

Sabra hubris.

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
I disagree ;)
I think theres alot to be learnt from folly and that in itself makes it worthwhile.
You guys sure talk about him a lot.
It is suggedtive of group reassurance.

Who is supposedly instructed, in what?
We learn alot from you Audie. ;)

Not yet, speaking of obtuse.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#26

Post by Kurieuo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:33 am

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Audie wrote:

Chickpeas are a more worthwhile topic than yet more comments on this
"Dawkins".
I disagree ;)
I think theres alot to be learnt from folly and that in itself makes it worthwhile.
You guys sure talk about him a lot.
It is suggedtive of group reassurance.

Who is supposedly instructed, in what?
We learn alot from you Audie. ;)

Not yet, speaking of obtuse.
Don't be too hard on yourself, I don't think you're obtuse. y>:D<
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 5:00 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ohio
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#27

Post by Hortator » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 am

Actually I think you're pretty acute Audie y@};-

Image

:mrgreen:

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9392
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 553 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#28

Post by Kurieuo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:35 pm

You should see a photo of her! Then you'd think she'd just cute.
(to qualify those words I've not seen an actual photo of her, but I've been told by a friend)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Audie
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3485
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:41 am
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Location: USA
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Atheists: What would you say?

#29

Post by Audie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:34 am

Hortator wrote:Actually I think you're pretty acute Audie y@};-

Image

:mrgreen:
Make that 179 degrees for krink.

Post Reply