What is the point of life?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 326 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#136

Post by Storyteller » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:42 pm

You just answered why you don't kill yourself.

The point of life is to experience it.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#137

Post by Nessa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:01 pm

IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:The blonde jokes are getting real old now :econfused:
Time to take a break from here.
Alright, sorry for making the joke. :|
I get it, I sometimes tend to beat one joke a bit too much. Is that even a phrase, uh...?
Nah, it wasn't you - just me and my insecurities of not being seen as that intelligent.

FWIW, I think you're funny and I like having you here.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#138

Post by RickD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:16 pm

Nessa wrote:

Nah, it wasn't you - just me and my insecurities of not being seen as that intelligent.
Nessa,

Fwiw, I've seen your posts since you've arrived here. I think you're intelligent. You have different kinds of questions than I have. But that's because you're not me. We all have different strengths and weaknesses.

If I had to guess, I'd say you had issues when you were younger. Maybe an authority figure in your life(Mum or Dad) who didn't encourage you. Maybe they even put you down.

The reason I guess that, is because my wife had that happen to her. She still has insecurities about being stupid. She's not.

You are intelligent. It's obvious from your responses on this forum. But I know if others see it, you still have to see it for yourself.
These users liked this post by RickD (total 2):
Storyteller (Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:42 pm) • Nessa (Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 326 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#139

Post by Storyteller » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:48 pm

Nessa, my lovely,
You are one of those here I cherish. You feel like we can't learn from you? Oh sweetheart, if only you knew.
You voice, so many times, what many of us (well me anyway) what we feel, our fears, our doubts. But there is always love, and sense, in what you post.
These users liked this post by Storyteller:
Nessa (Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

IceMobster
Senior Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Location: Europe
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#140

Post by IceMobster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:51 pm

Storyteller wrote:You just answered why you don't kill yourself.

The point of life is to experience it.
Hmm, what of the people who are having a really bad experience? Physical evil is really a mystery. :(
Moreover, I don't have a problem with people that are wealthier than me. It is those that don't have anything or are poor that really make me ask myself why? Like, why did I get a roof above my head, a family whose wealth status is not poor? How come such a sinner as myself even deserve that... Eh...

Also, I would say that the point of life is to find happiness. It is just, I am unsure one can be fully happy whilst not having a sense for/of the Transcendence.
Nessa wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Nessa wrote:The blonde jokes are getting real old now :econfused:
Time to take a break from here.
Alright, sorry for making the joke. :|
I get it, I sometimes tend to beat one joke a bit too much. Is that even a phrase, uh...?
Nah, it wasn't you - just me and my insecurities of not being seen as that intelligent.

FWIW, I think you're funny and I like having you here.
What the hell? I don't see you as less intelligent... Woman, pls... :|
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!

User avatar
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: UK
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 326 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#141

Post by Storyteller » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Maybe we can't be happy until we truly cry for humanity.

Why do you feel like ending it all? I mean, it would be such a waste.

I read a book once about a couple who lost their toddler to cancer, they found notes after she died that showed them the beauty of life.
Somany people, in painand grief, celebrate and give glory to life yet you say their lives are somehow marred?

Wealth isnt about physical things, its about God. And grace, and peace, and life.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#142

Post by Nessa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:37 pm

IceMobster wrote: Hmm, what of the people who are having a really bad experience? Physical evil is really a mystery. :(
Moreover, I don't have a problem with people that are wealthier than me. It is those that don't have anything or are poor that really make me ask myself why? Like, why did I get a roof above my head, a family whose wealth status is not poor? How come such a sinner as myself even deserve that... Eh...

Also, I would say that the point of life is to find happiness. It is just, I am unsure one can be fully happy whilst not having a sense for/of the Transcendence.
To me, it sounds like some where inside of you there is a deep sense of fairness. Where does that idea of fairness come from? Why should things be fair?

It is true, life isn't fair. And I think thats one of the saddest realities there is if this life is all there is

For the atheist, life really is just a cruel game of chance and luck. While we may be able to influence our life to some degree by our choices, much of it can't be chosen. Can a baby choose not to be abused? Can a woman choose not to be raped? Can a child choose not to be tortured and killed by a madman?

So any atheist feeling a sense of utter hopelessness, despair and depression because this is the reality we live in, are justified. At least in my opinion.

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 552 times
Been liked: 300 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#143

Post by Nessa » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:37 pm

images (48).jpg
images (48).jpg (10.66 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
These users liked this post by Nessa (total 2):
Storyteller (Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:41 pm) • Hortator (Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:20 pm)

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#144

Post by crochet1949 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Life Does have meaning when we have Christ -- the relationship with God Through Jesus Christ. Then the point can be to live a Christ-like life so others can see Christ Through us. We can have inner peace -- can share a smile with someone.

User avatar
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 336 times
Contact:

Re: What is the point of life?

#145

Post by Jac3510 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:21 am

Y'all are all making this way to complicated. The point of life is just over the i.

#clozthred #iwin #mysterysolved #tellricktomakemeasammich
These users liked this post by Jac3510:
Nessa (Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:54 am)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#146

Post by RickD » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:09 am

Jac3510 wrote:Y'all are all making this way to complicated. The point of life is just over the i.

#clozthred #iwin #mysterysolved #tellricktomakemeasammich
The point of life is to point out grammar mistakes on forums.

It's "too", not "to". y:D :pillows:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Nicki
Senior Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Western Australia
Has liked: 338 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#147

Post by Nicki » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:02 am

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Y'all are all making this way to complicated. The point of life is just over the i.

#clozthred #iwin #mysterysolved #tellricktomakemeasammich
The point of life is to point out grammar mistakes on forums.

It's "too", not "to". y:D :pillows:
Yes, I thought for a moment he meant 'this way to complicated' as if complicated was a place. :mrgreen:

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#148

Post by RickD » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:50 am

Nicki wrote:
RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Y'all are all making this way to complicated. The point of life is just over the i.

#clozthred #iwin #mysterysolved #tellricktomakemeasammich
The point of life is to point out grammar mistakes on forums.

It's "too", not "to". y:D :pillows:
Yes, I thought for a moment he meant 'this way to complicated' as if complicated was a place. :mrgreen:
"Were" a place!!!!!!!!!! :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 336 times
Contact:

Re: What is the point of life?

#149

Post by Jac3510 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:29 am

Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21030
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 1043 times

Re: What is the point of life?

#150

Post by RickD » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 am

John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Post Reply