A question for atheists part 2

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

A question for atheists part 2

#1

Post by Nessa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:24 am

This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#2

Post by Nessa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:59 am

I have absolutely no clever come backs but Im just interested to know what you are thinking

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#3

Post by Nessa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:22 pm

:sbump:

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#4

Post by Kenny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Nessa wrote:This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?
Good question! I don’t think I’ve ever considered that question. Now that I thought about it, I think it depends upon what this God is like. For the most part, I don’t think I would want there to be one; I am happy with things as they are. I’m sure it would be cool and all as long as he is your friend, and is on your side, but what happens if he turns on you and is no longer on your side? Doesn’t sound good.

If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:19 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#5

Post by EssentialSacrifice » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:52 pm

ken
If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
The sad part is, if you don't look for Him, pray to, talk to Him, strike up a relationship with Him ... you'll get your wish ken. :ssorry:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#6

Post by Nessa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?
Good question! I don’t think I’ve ever considered that question. Now that I thought about it, I think it depends upon what this God is like. For the most part, I don’t think I would want there to be one; I am happy with things as they are. I’m sure it would be cool and all as long as he is your friend, and is on your side, but what happens if he turns on you and is no longer on your side? Doesn’t sound good.

If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.

Ken
So your god would be indifferent and detached from human suffering?

He would never interfere with us. The most horrific acts would elude him?

So he would be more like an impersonal force of some kind?

Say you just saw the person you love the most in the world about to get tortured and raped and it continue for years on end.

Would you not choose your God to be personal and capable of choice?

To be powerful enough to stop it if no human being could?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#7

Post by Kenny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:This is three part - Do you want there to be a God? Why/why not? What would he or she be like if the answer is yes?
Good question! I don’t think I’ve ever considered that question. Now that I thought about it, I think it depends upon what this God is like. For the most part, I don’t think I would want there to be one; I am happy with things as they are. I’m sure it would be cool and all as long as he is your friend, and is on your side, but what happens if he turns on you and is no longer on your side? Doesn’t sound good.

If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.

Ken
So your god would be indifferent and detached from human suffering?

He would never interfere with us. The most horrific acts would elude him?

So he would be more like an impersonal force of some kind?

Say you just saw the person you love the most in the world about to get tortured and raped and it continue for years on end.

Would you not choose your God to be personal and capable of choice?

To be powerful enough to stop it if no human being could?
I’m going to change up on my previous response. If God were to exist, I would prefer he have the ability of the God as described in the Bible, but would do things differently. He would do the opposite of what I previously said and keep in constant contact with mankind giving us a consistent message of what he expects of us and who he is, thus preventing the establishing of false Gods to worship. This would likely end all the hatred, killing, and pain associated with opposing religious beliefs.

He would also have created a world where it is easier to do the right thing because there would be no Satan, Devil, or forces that work against him to tempt his creation to doing the wrong thing. This would make life a bit more peaceful

He also would have created a world where all the water is useful for the survival of his creation and fruits and vegetables would grow wild the way crabgrass and useless weeds do now, thus ending starvation and all the the violence and suffering associated with it

He would have created the Universe in a way that is not 99.99999% hostile to human life

Parasites would not exist because he would create a world where useless and harmful insects would not exist,

He also wouldn’t be the type of God that requires worship. He would be too modest to insist his creation fall to their knees, and grovel at his feet in a way that I wouldn’t expect from my dog; just knowing his creation loves him would be enough for him

That’s enough for now, perhaps I will think of some more later


Ken
These users liked this post by Kenny:
Kurieuo (Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:44 pm)
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#8

Post by Nessa » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:51 am

kenny wrote: If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
What made you change your mind?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#9

Post by Kenny » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:39 am

Nessa wrote:
kenny wrote: If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
What made you change your mind?
My first reply was while I was on a quick break at work and I only had a couple minutes to make a reply. After thinking about it for a while, I later changed my mind

K
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#10

Post by Nessa » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
kenny wrote: If God were to exist, I would prefer he were the type to just stay out of our business and allow humankind to sink or swim with the decisions we make.
What made you change your mind?
My first reply was while I was on a quick break at work and I only had a couple minutes to make a reply. After thinking about it for a while, I later changed my mind

K
So its quite possible you might change your mind again then?

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#11

Post by Nessa » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Perhaps after seven days? :ewink: :P
These users liked this post by Nessa (total 2):
Kurieuo (Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:43 pm) • patrick (Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:42 am)

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#12

Post by Nessa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:16 pm

So you wouldn't want God to create a perfect world with no pain and suffering?

:sbump:

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 574 times
Been liked: 312 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#13

Post by Nessa » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:36 pm

:sbump:

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3663
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 74 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#14

Post by Kenny » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Nessa wrote:So you wouldn't want God to create a perfect world with no pain and suffering?

:sbump:
I don’t think that is possible. Perfect by whose standards? My standards? Because perfection by my standards is going to be far from perfect by somebody else's standards.
Perfection according to everybody at the same time is impossible

And pain and suffering? What I find good can be bad for someone else. Example; if I am trying to buy a house, a drop in real estate prices is going to be a good thing for me, but it will be painful to the guy trying to sell his house. In such a diverse world pain and pleasure often result from the same action.
So to answer your question; no I wouldn’t ask God to do the impossible, I would just ask for what I see as practical.


Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6028
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: A question for atheists part 2

#15

Post by Byblos » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:28 am

Kenny wrote: I wouldn’t ask God to do the impossible, I would just ask for what I see as practical.
I think your prayers were answered Kenny! :mrgreen:
These users liked this post by Byblos:
EssentialSacrifice (Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:13 am)
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Post Reply