A question for atheists

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: A question for atheists

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Kenny needs to realize that he cannot bring up other god's anyway when it comes to Pascal's Wager instead he must consider heaven/hell vs We just die and thats it,which is what atheists believe so based on this Kenny cannot ask what would we do if we were wrong because if we were wrong we would not even know or realize we believed in Jesus and were wrong but if Kenny is wrong he is in trouble.A person just cannot hedge their bets with atheism at all and atheism has no evidence behind it,even false religions have more evidence than atheism does.Pascal was a gambling man and knew about odds of winning.
Wrong. Pascal's Wager is supposed to look at things from the Atheist POV which sees all religions as equally flawed, not the Christians who only see their religion as authentic. Thus your argument fails.

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote:We can apply Pascal's wager to false religions and atheism

But the rebuttal is about all religions.
abelcainsbrother wrote:atheists believe there is no god,no afterlife and when you die,thats it.
No, there are plenty of Atheists who believe in an afterlife like reincarnation. Atheists just don’t recognize a deity; that’s it; anything else you shouldn't speculate on.
abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheists cannot bring up other god's they don't even believe in.
In response to Pascal’s wager, we already do!
abelcainsbrother wrote:This means if you are wrong,you are in trouble.
And if you are wrong, you are in trouble as well!
abelcainsbrother wrote:Religions can debate and compare evidence to know which God is true,
They have been doing this for a thousand years, and still can’t agree.
abelcainsbrother wrote:atheists cannot do this as they believe there is no afterlife and don't know about god's and religions.I can say to you that I win no matter what whether Christianity is true or not,but you lose if you are wrong.
As I said before, if another religion is right, you lose as well.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
No, there are plenty of Atheists who believe in an afterlife like reincarnation. Atheists just don’t recognize a deity; that’s it; anything else you shouldn't speculate on.
Plenty of atheists believe in an afterlife like reincarnation? Really?

Do you realize how logically inconsistent that would be?

Atheists claim they don't believe in God because they think there's a lack of evidence, regarding God's existence. And since there's absolutely no evidence for reincarnation, that just isn't logical. In fact, for an atheist to believe in anything metaphysical, is not logically consistent with a belief that God doesn't exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Atheists claim they don't believe in God because they think there's a lack of evidence, regarding God's existence. And since there's absolutely no evidence for reincarnation, that just isn't logical. In fact, for an atheist to believe in anything metaphysical, is not logically consistent with a belief that God doesn't exist.
Many sects of Buddism are considered Atheist because they don't believe in a Deity, yet they believe in reincarnation. All beliefs can look "logically inconsistent" to the non believer; even yours.

Ken
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Many sects of Buddism are considered Atheist because they don't believe in a Deity, yet they believe in reincarnation. All beliefs can look "logically inconsistent" to the non believer; even yours.

Ken
So you believe in reincarnation then? It still does not change my point.You are borrowing from religion in order to defend atheism and for nothing because if you are wrong,you're in trouble,not me.Atheism does not believe in an afterlife and you know it.Look at all the hoops you are trying to jump through in order to defend atheism.Buddhists follow the teaching of Buddha but he does not call himself a god.

Patients for you
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tc2WxebeJtA
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote: So you believe in reincarnation then?
I never said that!
abelcainsbrother wrote: It still does not change my point.You are borrowing from religion in order to defend atheism
We're talking about "theism" not religion. You DO know the difference; do you?
abelcainsbrother wrote: and for nothing because if you are wrong,you're in trouble,not me.
And if you're wrong, you are in trouble.
abelcainsbrother wrote: Atheism does not believe in an afterlife and you know it.
Of course not! Atheism is not a belief system.
abelcainsbrother wrote: Look at all the hoops you are trying to jump through in order to defend atheism.Buddhists follow the teaching of Buddha but he does not call himself a god.
There is nothing about Atheism to defend! I'm just pointing out the flaws in your logic and claims!

Ken
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
I never said that!
abelcainsbrother wrote: It still does not change my point.You are borrowing from religion in order to defend atheism
abelcainsbrother wrote: and for nothing because if you are wrong,you're in trouble,not me.
abelcainsbrother wrote: Atheism does not believe in an afterlife and you know it.
abelcainsbrother wrote: Look at all the hoops you are trying to jump through in order to defend atheism.Buddhists follow the teaching of Buddha but he does not call himself a god.
There is nothing about Atheism to defend! I'm just pointing out the flaws in your logic and claims!

Ken
What do you know about religion and other god's in order to think I'm in trouble if I'm wrong? I have compared evidence and religions and know that if somehow Christianity was false the other god's and religions would be too and I would just die and not even know I believed in Jesus so I cannot lose.My odds are sound.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

kenny wrote:
Of course it is Kenny! You are being ridiculous!

Here's a good linkabout atheism as a belief system, for those interested:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
I never said that!

Ken
What do you know about religion and other god's in order to think I'm in trouble if I'm wrong? I have compared evidence and religions and know that if somehow Christianity was false the other god's and religions would be too and I would just die and not even know I believed in Jesus so I cannot lose.My odds are sound.
We are discussing Pascal's wager. Pascal's wager does not include your evidence. Care to try again?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
kenny wrote:

Believing Sweden does not exist is not a "belief system" it is a claim that can be refuted by taking a Jet to Sweden. Atheism is no more a belief system than not believing in the existence of Sweden. Care to try again?

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
kenny wrote:

Believing Sweden does not exist is not a "belief system" it is a claim that can be refuted by taking a Jet to Sweden. Atheism is no more a belief system than not believing in the existence of Sweden. Care to try again?

Ken
Kenny,

A belief system, is just a term that means, "a set of beliefs". And atheism is a set of beliefs. Why you would even want to deny that, is beyond reason.
Kenny,

I'm not saying that all atheists believe all the same things. Just like not all theists believe the same things.

But at the very least, all atheists believe:

1. The universe came to exist in a way other than "God did it".

2. Morals come from something other than God.

Those are a set of beliefs, or a belief system.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
kenny wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

A belief system, is just a term that means, "a set of beliefs". And atheism is a set of beliefs. Why you would even want to deny that, is beyond reason.
Kenny,

I'm not saying that all atheists believe all the same things. Just like not all theists believe the same things.

We've been over this time and time again. If you wish to redefine the term Atheism to fit your agenda, if you wish to redefine belief systems to include those ridiculas examples you gave, knock yourself out! But don't expect to be taken seriously to anybody outside the religious community (and probably not half of them either)

Peace bro
Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
kenny wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

Kenny,

We've been over this time and time again. If you wish to redefine the term Atheism to fit your agenda, if you wish to redefine belief systems to include those ridiculas examples you gave, knock yourself out! But don't expect to be taken seriously to anybody outside the religious community (and probably not half of them either)

Peace bro
Ken
Ok Kenny.

Two questions that you need to answer now.
1) how am I redefining atheism?

2) what agenda do I have?

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
kenny wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

Kenny,

Peace bro
Ken
RickD wrote:Ok Kenny.

By trying to define it as a belief system
RickD wrote: 2) what agenda do I have?
To make it out to be a belief system. It also appears to me you are trying to give the impression Atheism is an alternative to religion for non believers.

Ken
RickD wrote
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

RickD wrote:
Ok Kenny.

ken:
How would you define atheism? What rules should we follow ...
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

RickD wrote:
Ok Kenny.

Ken wrote:
I'm not defining atheism as a belief system, Kenny. It's already defined as a belief. Specifically, a belief that God or gods don't exist.

While I admit that weak atheists, or agnostic atheists may not go as far as believing that God doesn't exist.
RickD wrote:
2) what agenda do I have?

Ken wrote:
To make it out to be a belief system. It also appears to me you are trying to give the impression Atheism is an alternative to religion for non believers.
Kenny,
Could you explain what you mean by the underlined?

-Edward R Murrow