Belief - knowlwdge or not?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Belief - knowlwdge or not?

Post by stuartcr »

Is belief the same as knowledge?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Belief - knowlwdge or not?

Post by Kurieuo »

No.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Kurieuo wrote:No.
Does a belief require proof?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Belief requires evidence.

At least the biblical kind of belief/faith.

If that's the kind of belief you're referring to.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

RickD wrote:Belief requires evidence.

Yes, thank you
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

stuartcr wrote:

Yes, thank you
It is good to be clear on terms.

Belief can be blind belief.
Knowledge is belief that has justification.
"Official" definitions aside, it is good to start with each person's own understanding.

Some place such a high bar on knowledge as to say that which counts as knowledge is only that which is true.
Consider that it seems right, at least to me, to say someone's knowledge might be wrong, however it doesn't make sense to say someone's truth is wrong.
THAT is, unless you're a completed product of a "highly rigorous" Western-European education wherein each society and culture and even individuals can have their own "truth" -- i.e., "what is true for you isn't true for me."
For such, "truth" and "knowledge" appears to be interchangeable, such that truth is even relative to a subject and not objective.

In terms of the biblical belief, "knowledge of God" and "belief" thereof could be interchangeable.
Consider that Thomas "believed" Jesus was raised according to what is recorded after placing his finger in Christ's hand.
This is just one of many instances in Scripture that Christian Evidentialists put forward for a "biblical faith" not being blind but based upon evidence.
Such is opposed to the blind kind that "faith-healing" groups proclaim we must have, and if we weren't healed, well we "didn't have enough faith".

Hope that provides a more helpful response than my previous "No". ;)
Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

Kurieuo wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

Yes, thank you

"Official" definitions aside, it is good to start with each person's own understanding.

Some place such a high bar on knowledge as to say that which counts as knowledge is only that which is true.
Consider that it seems right, at least to me, to say someone's knowledge might be wrong, however it doesn't make sense to say someone's truth is wrong.
THAT is, unless you're a completed product of a "highly rigorous" Western-European education wherein each society and culture and even individuals can have their own "truth" -- i.e., "what is true for you isn't true for me."
For such, "truth" and "knowledge" appears to be interchangeable, such that truth is even relative to a subject and not objective.

In terms of the biblical belief, "knowledge of God" and "belief" thereof could be interchangeable.
Consider that Thomas "believed" Jesus was raised according to what is recorded after placing his finger in Christ's hand.
This is just one of many instances in Scripture that Christian Evidentialists put forward for a "biblical faith" not being blind but based upon evidence.
Such is opposed to the blind kind that "faith-healing" groups proclaim we must have, and if we weren't healed, well we "didn't have enough faith".

I agree, but I think 'knowledge' that isn't actually true is just what you think, not what you know.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nicki wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

Yes, thank you

I agree, but I think 'knowledge' that isn't actually true is just what you think, not what you know.
You don't agree then, for what you just said contradicts.

Question: Can someone be wrong in their knowledge.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I believe if a person rejects God they must go outside logic,reason and reality and believe by imagination and so there knowledge is flawed from the start.

When a person accepts God though that person remains in logic,reason and reality and their knowledge can be trusted because they know all things have a cause and all things that have a cause are caused by something else but as soon as a person rejects God this fact of the world around us goes out the window to assume this is not true in some cases based on blind faith and imagination.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nicki wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

Yes, thank you

I believe to know simply means to be convinced beyond any shadow of doubt. So yes; a person can be wrong in their knowledge.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Question: Can someone be wrong in their knowledge.
I believe to know simply means to be convinced beyond any shadow of doubt. So yes; a person can be wrong in their knowledge.
And I'd agree with you.
Our knowledge can change, grow and even perhaps shrink.
For example, scientific knowledge such as Newtonian Physics and General Relativity and even further Special Relativity.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I believe if a person rejects God they must go outside logic,reason and reality and believe by imagination and so there knowledge is flawed from the start.

When a person accepts God though that person remains in logic,reason and reality and their knowledge can be trusted because they know all things have a cause and all things that have a cause are caused by something else but as soon as a person rejects God this fact of the world around us goes out the window to assume this is not true in some cases based on blind faith and imagination.
Is your belief about rejection considered knowledge? If so, how do you know your knowledge is not flawed?
Nicki
Sex: Female

Post by Nicki »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nicki wrote:

I meant I agreed with most of what you said. :P

I still think only what we know for sure can be termed 'knowledge'. When we disagree with what particular scientists say we refer to it as what they think, not what they know.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Nicki wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nicki wrote:

I meant I agreed with most of what you said. :P

I still think only what we know for sure can be termed 'knowledge'. When we disagree with what particular scientists say we refer to it as what they think, not what they know.
But just because a person "knows something for sure" doesn't mean they are going to be correct! Using theism as an example; you can 2 people worshiping different Gods, yet they both know for sure that their God is the real one; obviously but they both can't be right.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Seriously kenny, how many times are we supposed to answer this assertion? :shakehead:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.