The best argument for atheism

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Starhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 6:14 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: The best argument for atheism

#31

Post by Starhunter » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:55 am

outlaw wrote:
So how would you know if something existed outside of the capacity of the human brain?
Good question...I don't know how to answer that.

If there was some sort of link provided for knowing it, between the Maker and the human, then that would be the only way.

But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Take for instance the newborn child does not really recognize its parents, it may know the warmth of mum, but it can't tell what you do for a job, or even who you are. Does that mean you don't exist?

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The best argument for atheism

#32

Post by outlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:31 am

Starhunter wrote:
outlaw wrote:
So how would you know if something existed outside of the capacity of the human brain?
Good question...I don't know how to answer that.

If there was some sort of link provided for knowing it, between the Maker and the human, then that would be the only way.

But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Take for instance the newborn child does not really recognize its parents, it may know the warmth of mum, but it can't tell what you do for a job, or even who you are. Does that mean you don't exist?
I know what you mean and I think were getting into the Russells teapot argument, not sure if your familiar with it. Wikipedia it.

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The best argument for atheism

#33

Post by outlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:37 am

But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Maybe it is, but if we used that method there would be an infinite amount of things you could claim existed outside of what we can grasp or perceive, but you'd have no good reason or no grounds to convince others that they should believe any of them actually exist..

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: The best argument for atheism

#34

Post by Byblos » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:48 am

outlaw wrote:But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Maybe it is, but if we used that method there would be an infinite amount of things you could claim existed outside of what we can grasp or perceive, but you'd have no good reason or no grounds to convince others that they should believe any of them actually exist..
By the same token since one cannot see logic they ought not use then. There goes any rational argument anyone has ever made.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The best argument for atheism

#35

Post by outlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:14 am

Byblos wrote:
outlaw wrote:But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Maybe it is, but if we used that method there would be an infinite amount of things you could claim existed outside of what we can grasp or perceive, but you'd have no good reason or no grounds to convince others that they should believe any of them actually exist..
By the same token since one cannot see logic they ought not use then. There goes any rational argument anyone has ever made.
Stop it your hurting my brain now.

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5922
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: The best argument for atheism

#36

Post by Byblos » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:27 am

outlaw wrote:
Byblos wrote:
outlaw wrote:But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Maybe it is, but if we used that method there would be an infinite amount of things you could claim existed outside of what we can grasp or perceive, but you'd have no good reason or no grounds to convince others that they should believe any of them actually exist..
By the same token since one cannot see logic they ought not use then. There goes any rational argument anyone has ever made.
Stop it your hurting my brain now.
It's just your imagination, you can't see pain, it must not exist. Come to think of it neither does your imagination. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 209 times

Re: The best argument for atheism

#37

Post by melanie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 am

Clever Byblos

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The best argument for atheism

#38

Post by outlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:50 am

Byblos wrote:
outlaw wrote:
Byblos wrote:
outlaw wrote:But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Maybe it is, but if we used that method there would be an infinite amount of things you could claim existed outside of what we can grasp or perceive, but you'd have no good reason or no grounds to convince others that they should believe any of them actually exist..
By the same token since one cannot see logic they ought not use then. There goes any rational argument anyone has ever made.
Stop it your hurting my brain now.
It's just your imagination, you can't see pain, it must not exist. Come to think of it neither does your imagination. :mrgreen:
Ill just imagine that my imagination exists.

User avatar
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 3:18 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 209 times

Re: The best argument for atheism

#39

Post by melanie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:30 am

outlaw wrote:
Byblos wrote:
outlaw wrote:
Byblos wrote:
outlaw wrote:But isn't it unscientific to say that only what we can grasp or fathom or perceive is all that there is?

Maybe it is, but if we used that method there would be an infinite amount of things you could claim existed outside of what we can grasp or perceive, but you'd have no good reason or no grounds to convince others that they should believe any of them actually exist..
By the same token since one cannot see logic they ought not use then. There goes any rational argument anyone has ever made.
Stop it your hurting my brain now.
It's just your imagination, you can't see pain, it must not exist. Come to think of it neither does your imagination. :mrgreen:
Ill just imagine that my imagination exists.
Whilst your imagining the unmeasurable but indisputable, I'll imagine your coming around ;) ;)

Edit: that sounds not how i intended! Just to clarify I meant come around in his line of thinking :oops:

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The best argument for atheism

#40

Post by outlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Whilst your imagining the unmeasurable but indisputable, I'll imagine your coming around  Edit: that sounds not how i intended! Just to clarify I meant come around in his line of thinking 
hahaa I'll need your address then. :wave:

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The best argument for atheism

#41

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:21 pm

outlaw wrote:
Whilst your imagining the unmeasurable but indisputable, I'll imagine your coming around  Edit: that sounds not how i intended! Just to clarify I meant come around in his line of thinking 
hahaa I'll need your address then. :wave:

:esurprised: :pound:
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: The best argument for atheism

#42

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:36 pm

outlaw wrote:
Whilst your imagining the unmeasurable but indisputable, I'll imagine your coming around Edit: that sounds not how i intended! Just to clarify I meant come around in his line of thinking
hahaa I'll need your address then. :wave:
The photo isn't of melanie but of her sister Melissa. Melanie weighs 400 pounds and has a cigarette permanently dangling from her mouth. I thought you should be told the truth.

FL y:D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Lonewolf
Valued Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: The best argument for atheism

#43

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
outlaw wrote:
Whilst your imagining the unmeasurable but indisputable, I'll imagine your coming around Edit: that sounds not how i intended! Just to clarify I meant come around in his line of thinking
hahaa I'll need your address then. :wave:
The photo isn't of melanie but of her sister Melissa. Melanie weighs 400 pounds and has a cigarette permanently dangling from her mouth. I thought you should be told the truth.

FL y:D
LM*AO

and so it is in the world of the world wide web
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!

outlaw
Established Member
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:28 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: The best argument for atheism

#44

Post by outlaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
outlaw wrote:
Whilst your imagining the unmeasurable but indisputable, I'll imagine your coming around Edit: that sounds not how i intended! Just to clarify I meant come around in his line of thinking
hahaa I'll need your address then. :wave:
The photo isn't of melanie but of her sister Melissa. Melanie weighs 400 pounds and has a cigarette permanently dangling from her mouth. I thought you should be told the truth.

FL y:D

Now your just teasing :mrgreen:

Post Reply