Atheism: Belief or Position?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.

Is atheism a belief?

Yes
68%
No
23%
May be
9%

Total votes: 22

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Atheism: Belief or Position?

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:"I would say here something that was heard from an ecclesiastic of the most eminent degree: "The intention of the Holy Ghost is to teach us how one goes to heaven, not how heaven goes."" -- Galileo Galilei
what does that mean?

K
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:"I would say here something that was heard from an ecclesiastic of the most eminent degree: "The intention of the Holy Ghost is to teach us how one goes to heaven, not how heaven goes."" -- Galileo Galilei
what does that mean?

K
E.g. That Bible's intention is not to provide scientific claims, but to teach how one goes to heaven.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:
what does that mean?

K
E.g. That Bible's intention is not to provide scientific claims, but to teach how one goes to heaven.
Excellent point! I like your way of thinking. Kinda makes me wonder about those who try to use the bible to refute what is taught in science classes.

Ken
RickD wrote
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Unless they teach universe created itself ;)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:
what does that mean?

K
Excellent point! I like your way of thinking. Kinda makes me wonder about those who try to use the bible to refute what is taught in science classes.

Ken

You will find that only happens in America, most of the rest world is pretty normal. :mrgreen:

There is a wide range of thought on this board, a lot of us have no issue with evolution etc...
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:Unless they teach universe created itself ;)
Naaw I don't think anyone teaches that.

K
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:
what does that mean?

K

Ken

You will find that only happens in America, most of the rest world is pretty normal. :mrgreen:

There is a wide range of thought on this board, a lot of us have no issue with evolution etc...
Okay! Thanks for the heads up

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Daniel wrote:
You will find that only happens in America, most of the rest world is pretty normal.
Ummm...Ken Ham is Australian.

But he lives in America, so you may be correct. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Daniel wrote:
You will find that only happens in America, most of the rest world is pretty normal.

He's an American now, you can tell by how insane he is. :mrgreen:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

The question of whether atheism is a belief depends on how you define agnostic.

Some say that being agnostic about something means "not sure" and one can be an agnostic and be either agnostic theist or agnostic atheist. Under this categorization, atheism is further divided into strong atheism ("I believe there is no God") and weak atheism ("I don't really hold a belief in God"). Under this categorization, strong atheism is a belief and weak atheism is just a lack of belief.

Others would categorize weak atheism as agnostic and strong atheism as just atheist. If you classify it like this, all atheism is belief.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Who is Ken Ham?

Ken
RickD wrote
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Who is Ken Ham?

Ken
Ken Ham is the poster boy and founder of Answers In Genesis (Y.E.C), he is a very polarizing figure because he calls other Christians not very nice things because they don't believe as he does that the Earth is 6000 years old. 8-}2