My journey

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

My journey

Post by Storyteller »

I have always believed in God. I have always felt close to Him. I saw Him in everything, the sea, the woods, animals, life, my daughter and so on. I would often chat to Him, thank Him for the magical gift of life that He gave me. All of this was with absolute certainty in God. Jesus meant very little to me then. Jesus was just an historical figure, a good, wise man that lived as close to God as anyone could but even then there was always some pull towards Christ. I absolutely loved Sunday School, I would listen in wonder to the stories of Christ and think but who is He in relation to God? It was a slow burn for me, to find and accept Christ.

I started reading anything I could about God, religion, faith, Jesus. Every book I read brought me closer to accepting Jesus as my Saviour. I used to have this fear of being labelled a Christian, I didn`t want to be seen as someone who believed in fairy tales because I was too egotistical to accept there was no beginning, there was no "creation" it was all a miraculous accident. The more I delved, the more convinced I was about Jesus.

I read the Gospel of Thomas, there was a line in there that said something like we all have to find our own way to God. we need to find out for ourselves and something just clicked in my heart.
I am still searching for answers, they`re just different questions now. Now, it`s not whether I believe but more exactly what I believe. It`s a fascinating subject! I`m unsure where I sit with YEC or EEC, evolution, Hell, etc but these are minor details. I`m excited guys, I feel this strongly about my faith without reading Scripture, how will I feel once I have?

I am really, right at the beginning of my journey, and I feel, I feel alive :) And saved :)

I have a few things going on in my life right now that are tough, to the point where I wonder why it`s all happening, there are times when I am so desperately unhappy it makes me question it all but the over-riding feeling is that there is a purpose to it, it will be revealed along the way. Maybe it`s just a way of testing my faith? I ask myself questions all the time, like would I deny Christ to save my life? No. What about my daughter`s? That one is a lot tougher to answer!

Before my faith I always believed everything happens for a reason, I believe that even more now. I used to think I couldn`t hear God, that`s not true, I just wasn`t listening.
God brought me here to find answers, to question my faith, to learn, to perhaps reach some people. I am becoming more secure in my faith every day and it`s beautiful.

I`d like to say a special thank you to bippy for his thread on the shroud which ignited a spark of passion in me. I still haven`t finished the thread but I will and there`s a lot of stuff in there that blows my mind, Jac for his sensitive answer to my pm (explained a lot about what I`m feeling, and Jac, I am indeed bringing the three things I feel together :) and for his answers on the non believer thread. Paul, for your comment that Jesus KNOWS.

I feel blessed to have found this forum, especially as I stumbled across it by looking for scientific proof of God. I don`t think we can "prove" God exists. How do you prove something you feel? But I have found strength in my belief through it. Now all I have to do is figure out what rings true for me with how it all happened and what that means for me.

God bless you all y>:D<
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: My journey

Post by Philip »

Storyteller, yours is a beautiful journey to faith!
Storyteller: I started reading anything I could about God, religion, faith, Jesus. Every book I read brought me closer to accepting Jesus as my Savior.
And so that is what seeking the Lord with all your heart and mind looks like - investigating while on the search for The Truth!

One caution: Please realize that the Gospel of Thomas is a false gospel.

One, it's full of nonsensical, unScriptural stuff: https://carm.org/gospel-of-thomas

https://carm.org/questions-about-the-gospel-of-thomas

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I know now that it is a false gospel but it was instrumental in starting me on my search. Just goes to show that God knows what He is doing! He knew that they were the words I needed to read at the start.

It`s a truly beautiful journey that I am on :)
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I have just found a NIV version of the New Testament and Psalms. Guess what I`m going to start to read? :D

I shall sit and read it with pen and paper by my side and scribble my thoughts and any questions down, then, if it`s okay, start a thread where I can talk about what it means?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

know now that it is a false gospel
A relief to know that!
but it was instrumental in starting me on my search
Yes, I had a similar experience of some false things that God still used in my journey.

StoryT, what part of the UK dost thou hail from?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I am truly humbled that anything I said was able to help you :)
We all have come to Christ on different paths, it is a testament to His Love, His Grace and His Power.
Educating ourselves about the bible and the many doctrines is great BUT never forget that it is the Holy Spirit that guides us and helps us and never forget to open yourself to His guidance and love.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Philip...

I would not have started really searching for God without it. I needed something slightly less "religious" and that was it.

I hail from a little seaside town on the south coast of the UK. Littlehampton. It`s beautiful, I live 2 minutes away from the sea and 10 minute drive to the countryside.

Paul...

It was the post about Christ knowing us, knowing our fears and doubts etc. It was just the way you phrased it, it touched me deep in my soul. It was God telling me He knows and it`s okay. :)
And trust me, I will NEVER forget that the Holy Spirit guides me. I am, and always will be open to Him. It`s funny, I remember being told that all I had to do was trust in God and then just watch the changes He would make in my life, and it`s true.

I used to have this fear of losing of who I was, that I would become an all preaching, all singing, too nice type of person. (I put that really badly, but hopefully you get what I mean) It still feels weird talking about my faith but my faith gets stronger with every breath I take.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

So glad to read your story. God can even use Gnostic heresies sometimes!

When you study the scriptures, be sure to burn the sayings of Jesus into your memory. Not just the suffering servant of the Gospels, but also the reigning king of Revelation. His letters to the churches are vital.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Enjoy the journey, Annette. :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I hail from a little seaside town on the south coast of the UK. Littlehampton. It`s beautiful, I live 2 minutes away from the sea and 10 minute drive to the countryside.
StoryT, it is indeed beautiful there - guess about an hour out of London? What's that really big estate along Sea Road?

I'm in SC, 90 minutes from the coast and 0 seconds from the countryside (as Rick is fond of reminding me, that I live in the woods).
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

It's a very exclusive estate where the rich people live :D

I'm 2 minutes from the beach which is literally at the end of my road. I can hear the sea from my bed at night.

It is indeed about an hour out of London.

Eveything I need (apart from the countryside) is no more than a ten minute walk away, it's great :)

Love the idea of living in the woods, the rain on the trees, all the greenery etc. Mind you, I camp a lot so I do get out into the wilds. I always graviate back to the sea though.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Storyteller wrote:It's a very exclusive estate where the rich people live :D

I'm 2 minutes from the beach which is literally at the end of my road. I can hear the sea from my bed at night.

Eveything I need (apart from the countryside) is no more than a ten minute walk away, it's great :)
May I visit you? :iwantsomething:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Of course, or tell me where you live and we can do a house swap :)
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Storyteller wrote:I don`t think we can "prove" God exists.
I would say keep communicating with Jac, you'll change your mind soon enough (I did :mrgreen: ).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Storyteller wrote:It's a very exclusive estate where the rich people live :D

Love the idea of living in the woods, the rain on the trees, all the greenery etc. Mind you, I camp a lot so I do get out into the wilds. I always graviate back to the sea though.
I was in Cheltenham in 2013, loved it.