Walmart Watch

Christian ministries and missions that are inspiring or need prayer, as well as other social justice causes where Christians are living God's love and making a difference.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Walmart Watch

Post by cslewislover »

I knew that Walmart had been criticized in the past for putting mom-and-pop stores out of business, but I thought it was just the way things were in this growing world and changing economy. After watching the documentary Walmart: The High Cost of Low Cost, I saw that there was a lot more to it (unfair competition, helped by government), and that there is much more wrong with Walmart than even that. Below is a link to a very active and informative organization. Included on their site is a "faith based community." Christians played a big role in keeping Walmart out of Inglewood, California (I believe that's the correct city). It seems counter-intuitive to think of a community rejecting a large employer like Walmart, when they need jobs there, but when you find out the effects of Walmart, you understand why (they treat their employees very poorly and they have caused the lowering of wages all around, they even bribe local governments). Besides the problems Walmart causes here in the U.S., they basically employ slave labor in the rest of the world and do their best to fight improvements. (If they opened manufacturing plants in the US to employ people in industry, maybe they would contribute more to the economy.)

Walmart Watch
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Sex: Male

Re: Walmart Watch

Post by sinnerbybirth »

cslewislover wrote:I knew that Walmart had been criticized in the past for putting mom-and-pop stores out of business, but I thought it was just the way things were in this growing world and changing economy. After watching the documentary Walmart: The High Cost of Low Cost, I saw that there was a lot more to it (unfair competition, helped by government), and that there is much more wrong with Walmart than even that. Below is a link to a very active and informative organization. Included on their site is a "faith based community." Christians played a big role in keeping Walmart out of Inglewood, California (I believe that's the correct city). It seems counter-intuitive to think of a community rejecting a large employer like Walmart, when they need jobs there, but when you find out the effects of Walmart, you understand why (they treat their employees very poorly and they have caused the lowering of wages all around, they even bribe local governments). Besides the problems Walmart causes here in the U.S., they basically employ slave labor in the rest of the world and do their best to fight improvements.

Walmart Watch
Whats so sad about this whole thing is, Sam Walton's Wal-Mart is not the same Wal-Mart today. His book "Made in America" is a great read.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

There's only one thing that makes WalMart successful. SALES.

As long as society keeps shopping there, society says it has no problem with the way(s) the company brings products at discount prices.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

sinnerbybirth wrote:
Whats so sad about this whole thing is, Sam Walton's Wal-Mart is not the same Wal-Mart today. His book "Made in America" is a great read.
Yeah I have met a lot of people who used to work when Sam was alive, and they say things were better then.
BavarianWheels wrote:.
There's only one thing that makes WalMart successful. SALES.

As long as society keeps shopping there, society says it has no problem with the way(s) the company brings products at discount prices.
Yeah, if it is cheap most people don't really care what the cost to human life that it took to make the prices so low. The almighty dollar controls morals it seems...
cslewislover wrote:, but when you find out the effects of Walmart, you understand why (they treat their employees very poorly and they have caused the lowering of wages all around, they even bribe local governments). Besides the problems Walmart causes here in the U.S., they basically employ slave labor in the rest of the world and do their best to fight improvements. (If they opened manufacturing plants in the US to employ people in industry, maybe they would contribute more to the economy.)
Slave labor saves money right? It is funny to see them spend all of this money on anti-union things (the private jets, the vans, the cameras) and how they will spend money out the wazoo to bribe folks, but paying the employees more, well they just don't have the money to do that :roll: yeah, so wonderful. I also love when they tell me that they can't give me more hours because they don't have the money, then they turn around and hire 4 new guys... and I can't change jobs, because all the other jobs are taken, and yet they keep hiring new people in those areas as well.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

I don't know why this is specific to Walmart. All of the accusations may as easily be leveled at any of the products we buy in most stores, trust me, I know. As for Walmart acting like a heavyweight around local councils, or bribing them I can again quote examples from many other businesses that act the same way.

I don't like that they cause Mom'n'Pop stores to close down, but as for the rest...that is what almost every retailer and major brand does. Walmart has often been the target of choice because they refuse to bow down to some unions.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

August wrote:I don't know why this is specific to Walmart. All of the accusations may as easily be leveled at any of the products we buy in most stores, trust me, I know. As for Walmart acting like a heavyweight around local councils, or bribing them I can again quote examples from many other businesses that act the same way.

I don't like that they cause Mom'n'Pop stores to close down, but as for the rest...that is what almost every retailer and major brand does. Walmart has often been the target of choice because they refuse to bow down to some unions.
I know that all kinds of companies here use cheap labor overseas, and many pay pretty poorly, but you'd have to see that documentary and look into it more to know why Walmart has more detractors out there. There are reasons for it. A lot of people don't like unions, including a lot of Walmart employees, so as far as I've seen that's not the biggest reason at all for their criticisms. There is a site that has employees voice their experiences and opinions about their employers, and Walmart employees have hundreds of complaints that are all the same. It's pretty amazing. Gab knows a number of things personally, and it's just gross. I wouldn't have posted this and got involved (spending my time looking into it) if I didn't think it worth it. And besides, if we see suffering and evil in our area of influence, no matter where it's from, we should seek to do something about it (whether it's from Walmart or from somewhere else).
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

August wrote:I don't know why this is specific to Walmart. All of the accusations may as easily be leveled at any of the products we buy in most stores, trust me, I know. As for Walmart acting like a heavyweight around local councils, or bribing them I can again quote examples from many other businesses that act the same way.

Well it is good to start with the biggest one and take them out first IMO. Also, about the unions, I have no love for unions, but I also have no love for being over worked and underpaid. With a job like one at walmart, you need another job just to make it by, not to mention your spouse would have to work as well. I have seen this from the inside, and I know what they are like to the employees and trust me, if I could leave and not have to worry about not being able to find another job, I would.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Gab is being mild here. I'm not into self-promoting but if you want more info, I have a little essay on my blog about it, and there are more links there. But certainly, the main site I gave is good. It might be time-consuming to wade through lots of stuff there, though.