A Fifth Ocean?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

A Fifth Ocean?

Post by DBowling »

A fifth ocean? National Geographic adds Southern Ocean to world map
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 645212002/
,,, according to National Geographic, which Tuesday announced that it is officially recognizing the body of water surrounding the Antarctic as the Southern Ocean, making it the fifth ocean alongside the Arctic, Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific.
The new ocean extends in a ring from Antarctica's coastline to 60 degrees south latitude, according to National Geographic, and differentiates from other oceans in its designation by current, not by continent. The area is slightly bigger than twice the size of the U.S.
The current that has led to its recognition, the Antarctic Circumpolar Current, transports the most water of any current and drives a global circulation system that transports heat around the planet, according to National Geographic.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: A Fifth Ocean?

Post by Fliegender »

A more appropriate name would be Antarctic Ocean. “Southern Ocean” conjures visions of palm trees, white sand beaches and piña coladas.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I heard that the new Antarctic Ocean is all a nasa conspiracy. We all know that Antarctica doesn’t exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pm I heard that the new Antarctic Ocean is all a nasa conspiracy. We all know that Antarctica doesn’t exist.
Fool. You’ve obviously had one too many piña coladas before you wrote that nonsense. Every sober thinker knows that the Antarctic Wall keeps all the ocean waters from falling off God’s Flat Earth.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Challenger007
Familiar Member

Post by Challenger007 »

Fliegender wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:51 am
RickD wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pm I heard that the new Antarctic Ocean is all a nasa conspiracy. We all know that Antarctica doesn’t exist.
Fool. You’ve obviously had one too many piña coladas before you wrote that nonsense. Every sober thinker knows that the Antarctic Wall keeps all the ocean waters from falling off God’s Flat Earth.
Sounds funny. But seriously speaking, with the melting of the glaciers, a new reservoir could well have formed, into which melt water flows during the polar summer.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Challenger007 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:23 am
Fliegender wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:51 am
Sounds funny. But seriously speaking, with the melting of the glaciers, a new reservoir could well have formed, into which melt water flows during the polar summer.
Any such reservoir would have to be below sea level. At the moment there are only two places where rising sea levels could be directed: in a huge depression in the Sahara and one in Australia. The only problem is that a loooooog canal would have to be dug in both cases to direct the water there. This is a pie-in-the-sky project with insurmountable financial and political roadblocks. Buy a houseboat and get used to rising sea levels...
-John Stuart Mill