You guys ready for the coronavirus?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: You guys ready for the coronavirus?

Post by edwardmurphy »

I am aware of the racial composition of Mexico, Rick. I lived in Michoacán for about a year. I've also lived in the US long enough to know what stereotypes Trump is invoking. So have you. And I know that Trump's cynical use of longstanding racial animus has [love]-all to do with the actual racial composition of Mexico. So do you.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:35 pm I am aware of the racial composition of Mexico, Rick. I lived in Michoacán for about a year. I've also lived in the US long enough to know what stereotypes Trump is invoking. So have you. And I know that Trump's cynical use of longstanding racial animus has [love] to do with the actual racial composition of Mexico. So do you.
No, Ed, I don’t. While I disagree with the way trump speaks sometimes, I’m not one who sees racism.

I just don’t see any evidence that he’s racist, from what I’ve heard him say. I live in the south, and I am pretty adept at picking up racist comments, even when people are trying to hide it. There’s just no having a rational conversation with people, when they call someone racist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

RickD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 pmThere’s just no having a rational conversation with people, when they call someone racist.
Wait, so the very act of calling something racist is inherently irrational and therefore ends the conversation?
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

NZ has gone from 66 cases to 102 over night which is a big deal for a small country.

The government issued a four level alert system and has also gone from the second level to the fourth level overnight.

For the next month all schools will close. Only essential services e.g supermarkets, pharmacies, hospitals, banking, hospitals will be open.

Everyone is pretty much on lock down to stay at home
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Anyway... isn't this thread suppose to be about the virus and not another trump discussion?

I hope all GNS forum members (past and/or present) are all safe and sound...
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Well, I feel sorry for teachers here in Australia. Schools should have been closed nationwide, Victoria is only state government that has said, "screw the Australian government, we're closing!"

We've pulled out our kids from school, there wasn't any logical argument presented that convinced me it wasn't the best action. The way I see things, is the government thinks the longer schools are open, the more people will be in work and economy will be propped up as much as possible. And Australia's "Health" association over here, want daycare for nurses and doctors. So teachers have just become glorified baby sitters who must put themselves on the line... quite disgusted with those calling the shots over here.

Trump administration seems to be doing far much more in the US, and actually appears empathetic and able to relate to the people at least. Looking forward to seeing the results of the malaria drug he's rolling out in NY based what seems on his own observations and gut intuition. Hope your FDA ends up red-faced over downplaying it.

As I understand, Australia stumbled upon it, and France (?) added in the Z pack combo. Yet, I hear zero of a medication rollout in my own country. Thankfully, we the people have had time to look at how things proceeded in other countries, and our largely "left" media have been doing an alright job and applying pressure on government to take certain actions.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

That was our government's mentality intially, concerning pulling kids out of school. Who will look after them if their parents work? Also if they are just put with elderly grandparents who are at risk etc

There was alot of pressure from both the public and health workers on the government to raise the alert to level four. Thousands of people were signing petitions and being proactive.

I'm surprised that they actually listened. They keep only testing people who have travelled or close contacts and we all know the experts are saying 'test, test, test' and we haven't being doing it that nearly enough.

Then they say 'Oh, all these positives are all travel related' well if course, duh!

Finally there's been two tested where there's no travel connection which points towards communal transmission.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Statistics show kids aren't as affected and jury is still out on whether they can transmit... then a "and if they do catch it... they'll generally be alright" (silently leaving out they'll still be able to transmit). Seriously, such a joke, the illogical arguments used.

Mrs. K just got a tap on the wrist for sharing on social media with other parents that in Queensland the government is now leaving it up to parents to decide whether to take their kids out of school. Until today, parents technically weren't permitted to do so.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Nessa wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 pm That was our government's mentality intially, concerning pulling kids out of school. Who will look after them if their parents work? Also if they are just put with elderly grandparents who are at risk etc

There was alot of pressure from both the public and health workers on the government to raise the alert to level four. Thousands of people were signing petitions and being proactive.

I'm surprised that they actually listened. They keep only testing people who have travelled or close contacts and we all know the experts are saying 'test, test, test' and we haven't being doing it that nearly enough.

Then they say 'Oh, all these positives are all travel related' well of course, duh!

Finally there's been two tested where there's no travel connection which points towards communal transmission.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

The lock down starts Wednesday midnight and my birthday is thursday... Love the timing y#-o

(Can someone please delete my quoting myself)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:58 pm Statistics show kids aren't as affected and jury is still out on whether they can transmit... then a "and if they do catch it... they'll generally be alright" (silently leaving out they'll still be able to transmit). Seriously, such a joke, the illogical arguments used.

Mrs. K just got a tap on the wrist for sharing on social media with other parents that in Queensland the government is now leaving it up to parents to decide whether to take their kids out of school. Until today, parents technically weren't permitted to do so.
Good on her.

I think a 14yr old died from the virus and they still say that stuff... :econfused:

Anyone watch Contagion?

It feels like we are now in a sequel to it :shock:
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Schools in New Hampshire are currently closed until April 6th, but as I'm married to a principal I get a bit of inside information. From the beginning my wife was told that closure would be 3 weeks officially but to plan for 6. Schools across the border in Maine are closed until 4/17, but the following week is their spring break, so really they won't be open until the 27th.

Meantime, Kansas has officially closed for the year, and the governor of California has said to expect him to do the same. I imagine most of the South will follow suit, since they generally get out earlier than we do in the North. Not a ton of point cancelling school from mid-March until late April if your school year ends on May 15th. Our official last day was supposed to be June 14th, so maybe we'll go back, but honestly I doubt it.

I feel terrible for my daughter. She was loving kindergarten and suddenly it was just over. Along with soccer, swimming, and team gymnastics. Hopefully UNH gymnastics camp in July still happens. It's tough because she's about as ADHD as a kid can get and she really relies on the combination of routine, structure, and intense physical activity that we had set up for her. I'm doing my best to replicate the kindergarten schedule, and have her doing daily strength training and floor exercises in the living room, but there's only so much we can do. The weather sucks, the playgrounds are padlocked...

On the upside, the grocery stores are keeping up so far. I even found toilet paper once. You just have to get up at 6 and be willing to wait a bit.

This is projected to be a terrible week for the virus, so stay safe, all.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

edwardmurphy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:38 am...

On the upside, the grocery stores are keeping up so far. I even found toilet paper once. You just have to get up at 6 and be willing to wait a bit...
You can forget about toilet paper with a bidet. Home Depot sells a bidet which attaches onto a regular toilet. After two months of use, the contraption pays for itself in savings on toilet paper alone. What’s more, it’s more hygienic and your whole family will feel cleaner. They will also be cleaner...

Before the grocery stores close for good, you might want to buy a freezer at Home Depot and pack it with frozen food. And don’t forget non-perishable stuff like pasta, legumes and canned goods. Being American, you’ll also need guns and ammo.

Those crazy survivalists don’t look so nutty anymore...
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

This morning, my 10th grader, who has been home for about 10 days - and whom has been strictly told to stay home until told otherwise - got up very early and went to the GYM!!! He swears I told him last week he'd be able to go (that was before I laid down much more drastic rules). Thankfully, the gym was closed. He wants fast food - NO!!! He's a very social kid, craves his pals. But he really got it from me when he got home - I took his car keys! I'm just thankful I'm not going loony with little kids around. Thankfully, my wife and I both work from home anyway.

When I went to Lowe's on Saturday, I could quickly see few were truly being careful. When I got there, they had a dispenser of sanitizing wipes at the front door (which soon ran out). People handling everything, no sanitizing at the register, etc. I wore disposable gloves, took them off before even touching my car keys to leave. There's a fine line between being very careful and paranoid! :econfused:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 am This morning, my 10th grader, who has been home for about 10 days - and whom has been strictly told to stay home until told otherwise - got up very early and went to the GYM!!! He swears I told him last week he'd be able to go (that was before I laid down much more drastic rules. Thankfully, the gym was closed. He wants fast food - NO!!! He's a very social kid, craves his pals. But he really got it from me when he got home - I took his car keys! I'm just thankful I'm not going loony with little kids around. Thankfully, my wife and I both work from home anyway.

When I went to Lowe's on Saturday, I could quickly see few were truly being careful. When I got there, they had a dispenser of sanitizing wipes at the front door (which soon ran out). People handling everything, no sanitizing at the register, etc. I wore disposable gloves, took them off before even touching my car keys to leave. There's a fine line between being very careful and paranoid! :econfused:
You’re at that age that careful and paranoid are the same thing. That is, if you can remember what you’re being careful about.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony