Hey, let's join the TPP...

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Hey, let's join the TPP...

Post by edwardmurphy »

Ok, seriously, I have no idea what to make of this.

First Sideshow Don spends a year condemning the TPP (most likely with no idea what it actually is)...

Then he pulls us out of the partnership (still with no idea what it actually is)...

Then he badmouths it some more (still in the dark)...

Then he gives China a year to solidify a leadership position in the Asian economy (probably without realizing it)...

Then he starts a trade war with China (without really understanding what that entails)...

And now he's thinking it's high time to join the TPP...? Now? Really? NOW???

It's like he has a deliberate plan to [have a beer] literally everybody. During an election year. While his party holds the majority.

Let's hear it, conservatives, explain it to me. I'm lost. What the hell is he doing? Is this some brilliant move from the pages of The Art of the Deal, or is he just an idiot?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Hey, let's join the TPP...

Post by RickD »

You down with T.P.P.? (Yeah, you know me!)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

edwardmurphy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm Ok, seriously, I have no idea what to make of this.

First Sideshow Don spends a year condemning the TPP (most likely with no idea what it actually is)...

Then he pulls us out of the partnership (still with no idea what it actually is)...

Then he badmouths it some more (still in the dark)...

Then he gives China a year to solidify a leadership position in the Asian economy (probably without realizing it)...

Then he starts a trade war with China (without really understanding what that entails)...

And now he's thinking it's high time to join the TPP...? Now? Really? NOW???

It's like he has a deliberate plan to [have a beer] literally everybody. During an election year. While his party holds the majority.

Let's hear it, conservatives, explain it to me. I'm lost. What the hell is he doing? Is this some brilliant move from the pages of The Art of the Deal, or is he just an idiot?
Relax man! Because Trump is a businessman who knows how to negotiate and he will put America first,yes even over China and get America the best deal.People like you want China to get the better deal but Trump does'nt.He will not allow other countries to get the better deal and Trump has been complaining about how other countries are ripping off America and the American people for 40 years and so it is no campaign slogan and unlike past President's and most politicians Trump is not controlled by any money like they are.He is already rich and cannot be bought off,this is a big reason why we voted for Trump.We know he will put America and the American people first and get America the best deals. Trump would not be against TPP if it was'nt so hard on the American tax payers who must pay when America gets the shaft in deals with other countries.He will either back out of it or America will get the better deal. You should be thanking Trump for this as this is not a left vs right issue because we all pay taxes.Trump will save America billions of dollars we can use to improve America's infrastructure,etc.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

edwardmurphy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:43 pm Let's hear it, conservatives, explain it to me. I'm lost. What the hell is he doing? Is this some brilliant move from the pages of The Art of the Deal, or is he just an idiot?
I know which one gets my vote ;)

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised when I heard this.
As I've pointed out many times before, Trump stype trade protectionism has been tried multiple times, and it's failed every time... that's known history. It's bad for the American worker. It's bad for the American consumer.

So I'm actually glad someone apparently talked some sense into Trump on this and showed him that handing the TPP market to the Chinese was a stupid thing to do.

As you point out, some of the damage has already been done, but better late than never.

My .02
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

abelcainsbrother wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pmRelax man! Because Trump is a businessman who knows how to negotiate and he will put America first,yes even over China and get America the best deal.
It seems like you missed the point of the timeline in my post. See, we were negotiating from a position of strength back before the 2016 elections. But then Trump pulled us out of TPP negotiations. That gave China the opportunity to try to take a leadership position in the Asian economic sphere. which it appears they did. They've now had a year to negotiate for terms that favor them, with no push back from us. If we try to reenter negotiations at this point we'll be negotiating from a position of weakness, while the Chinese negotiate from position of strength. One does not tend get the best deal when negotiating from a position of weakness.
abelcainsbrother wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pmPeople like you want China to get the better deal but Trump does'nt.
Where do you come up with ideas like that? Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to really believe that American progressives want to be at a competitive disadvantage when dealing with a potentially hostile economic superpower? Do you hit yourself in the head with a bat every night after prayers? Are you ordering stupid pills from Alex Jones' website? Do you drink your coffee from a lead-lined mug?

Progressives have jobs, Abe. They have families to feed, college to pay for, and hopes and dreams for their kids. They don't want their country to be at a competitive disadvantage. That's why we oppose protectionist economic policy and isolationism. Under Trump we've abandoned our position as a world leader and opened the door for China and Russia to expand their influence. That's a losing strategy. It's also a compete reversal of decades of Republican policy, so laughing off my criticism as leftie spin isn't a option.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

edwardmurphy wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:55 am
abelcainsbrother wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pmRelax man! Because Trump is a businessman who knows how to negotiate and he will put America first,yes even over China and get America the best deal.
It seems like you missed the point of the timeline in my post. See, we were negotiating from a position of strength back before the 2016 elections. But then Trump pulled us out of TPP negotiations. That gave China the opportunity to try to take a leadership position in the Asian economic sphere. which it appears they did. They've now had a year to negotiate for terms that favor them, with no push back from us. If we try to reenter negotiations at this point we'll be negotiating from a position of weakness, while the Chinese negotiate from position of strength. One does not tend get the best deal when negotiating from a position of weakness.
abelcainsbrother wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:18 pmPeople like you want China to get the better deal but Trump does'nt.
Where do you come up with ideas like that? Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to really believe that American progressives want to be at a competitive disadvantage when dealing with a potentially hostile economic superpower? Do you hit yourself in the head with a bat every night after prayers? Are you ordering stupid pills from Alex Jones' website? Do you drink your coffee from a lead-lined mug?

Progressives have jobs, Abe. They have families to feed, college to pay for, and hopes and dreams for their kids. They don't want their country to be at a competitive disadvantage. That's why we oppose protectionist economic policy and isolationism. Under Trump we've abandoned our position as a world leader and opened the door for China and Russia to expand their influence. That's a losing strategy. It's also a compete reversal of decades of Republican policy, so laughing off my criticism as leftie spin isn't a option.

That is all strawman because Trump did not run as a protectionist and he is not a protectionist.You should have paid attention to Trump when he was running for President because he made it clear in most all of his rallies that he is not against free-trade at all.He is for it as long as America gets the better deal. So you are accusing and opposing Trump for uninformed reasons that are Trump myths put out by the liberal MSM. Smart people know that China will cooperate with Trump and they already have as China is the reason Kim Jong Un is peaceful now.It is because Trump has been dealing with China and China is cooperating. Trump knows that it would hurt China's economy alot more if they decide to fight the US on fair trade with the US.China's economy is not set up to handle a trade war with the US. However China is already backing off a trade war with the US,they know it would be disastrous and at the end of the day they need money and the US has it.

Also you are for China,you are putting China first.You are arguing that we should just allow China to keep on giving the US the shaft when it comes to trade.They can put tarrifs on our goods but we cannot do it back because it will anger them,etc. We are for putting America first.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.