Mocking the Poor

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Ged
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Mocking the Poor

Post by Ged »

I just removed a name from my friends list on Facebook. He posted on Facebook the following question, “What word best describes these countries?” Then he added pictures of slums areas with the captions, Somalia, Nigeria, Haiti, Bangladesh, Mexico.

The inference was clear, and some of his obnoxious friends obliged him with the recent expletive offered by the president of the world’s wealthiest country.

This man was a friend of mine who I had previously met on a Christian forum – not this forum Im pleased to say. I replied …
… Extolling Trumps wealth as a virtue is stupid enough, but mocking the poor says more about you than it does about the unfortunate places you mention. I’m cancelling you from my friends list.
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Mocking the Poor

Post by Kurieuo »

Isn't that why people immigrate to the US? Essentially because they are from a hole of a country? Sadly, such is sometimes because the US and co made them so, or ruined them further And Trump's international policies are less than great to date, from what I can tell.

If the mainstream media had an ounce of journalistic blood still in them, they'd have people on the ground reporting on such, doing docos and the like on, for example, the MOAB he dropped on Afghanistan, the increased drone strikes and the like. Instead, how many diet cokes does Trump drink again? :roll:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Ged wrote:I just removed a name from my friends list on Facebook. He posted on Facebook the following question, “What word best describes these countries?” Then he added pictures of slums areas with the captions, Somalia, Nigeria, Haiti, Bangladesh, Mexico.

The inference was clear, and some of his obnoxious friends obliged him with the recent expletive offered by the president of the world’s wealthiest country.

This man was a friend of mine who I had previously met on a Christian forum – not this forum Im pleased to say. I replied …
… Extolling Trumps wealth as a virtue is stupid enough, but mocking the poor says more about you than it does about the unfortunate places you mention. I’m cancelling you from my friends list.
I don't understand what got you upset at this.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Thing is, Trump is often a moron in what he says. He just hands the left a sledgehammer to pummel him. Does he think everyone in such countries are poor by their own doing? Does Donald think if he'd been born into a slum in Haiti that his circumstances would be any different, or only due to his own personal shortcomings? Anyway, Trump's mouth just repeatedly shows what an idiot he can be. He'll likely never tame it.

Ah, but Trump DID open a can of worms - as a difficult discussion about the reality of what our choices need to be, as to who we should let in, where they are from, and how many, needs to begin. And such decisions shouldn't be made based upon emotional or politically driven motives. Historically, we've been a country that has been far more generous in who we've let than other nations. We still are. But in a nation with vast unemployment and enormous debt, every poor and uneducated person we let in, especially those without family here or opportunities lined up, is just adding to our already great debt and severe strain upon our resources. And somewhere there is a reasonable number of those type persons we should let in, but their is also a number beyond which we cannot afford or have capacity for unlimited compassion, because then it begins to drag down the fortunes of the poor already here. That's just a sad reality. If we are only or mostly letting in people that we'll have to take care of, or ones that will only want to live culturally isolated - that's causing harm and piling on to our already unfathomable debt. That's just the reality of it. So, we have to make hard choices. And then, of course, there is the safety factor - we need to very carefully screen who comes in - particularly from certain regions of the world. This is not racism; It's common sense! And countries who have not had these conversations - that have just let millions of unvetted persons in - they're paying a severe price for their naivete.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Psalm 82:2-4
“How long will you defend the unjust
and show partiality to the wicked?
3 Defend the weak and the fatherless;
uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Psalm 146:5-9
Blessed are those whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord their God.

6 He is the Maker of heaven and earth,
the sea, and everything in them—
he remains faithful forever.
7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
and gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets prisoners free,
8 the Lord gives sight to the blind,
the Lord lifts up those who are bowed down,
the Lord loves the righteous.
9 The Lord watches over the foreigner
and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.
Isaiah 58:6-11
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness[a] will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The Lord will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
James 1:26-27
Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Matthew 25:34-45
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Since I missed this one, does anyone have a video of Trump saying this?

I'd sure like to see the context.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I know that Trump did not use that kind of language when discussing immigration because Trump has never been against immigration and has made that clear over and over.It is illegal immigration that is the problem so that in discussing Haiti Trump would not use that kind of language,because it implies he does not want immigration from them kinds of countries when this is not true.He wants immigrants to come in legally. So I know Trump did not use the kind of language he has been accused of.It is another slander move by the left and media to try to make it look like the DACA discussions fell through because Trump used this kind of language,when the fact is the left refuses to budge and so no deal can be made with them.The left wants illegal immigration to continue ignoring US laws on the books.The left only expects the American people to go by the law,not themselves or illegal immigrants who are not US Citezens and have no Constitutional rights.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I know that Trump did not use that kind of language when discussing immigration because Trump has never been against immigration and has made that clear over and over.
Let me ask you this...

For the sake of argument let's assume that the comments attributed to Trump regarding Haitians and Africans are true.
If Trump really made those comments, would you agree that is evidence that Trump is a liar?

Someone is lying here.
Either Trump is lying.
or other Democrats and Republicans (Lindsey Graham specifically) who were present in the room at the time are lying.

I personally have no doubt regarding who the liar in this particular situation is.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

DBowling wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:I know that Trump did not use that kind of language when discussing immigration because Trump has never been against immigration and has made that clear over and over.
Let me ask you this...

For the sake of argument let's assume that the comments attributed to Trump regarding Haitians and Africans are true.
If Trump really made those comments, would you agree that is evidence that Trump is a liar?

Someone is lying here.
Either Trump is lying.
or other Democrats and Republicans (Lindsey Graham specifically) who were present in the room at the time are lying.

I personally have no doubt regarding who the liar in this particular situation is.
Yes,someone is lying.Like I said,I know that Donald Trump would not use that kind of language about Hati because it implies he does not want immigrants from them kind of countries.I think that even you are confused and you think that Trump is against immigration,but this has never been the case.It is about legal or illegal immigration and the left and many RINO'S want illegal immigration for political votes.They think that it will gain them future votes and are not even thinking about real US Citezens and the impact on them.But Donald Trump proved all of them wrong,all of the political experts on the MSM during the election that all swore up and down that Trump cannot win,because he will alienate the voters,and yet more hispanics and blacks voted for Donald Trump than who voted for George W Bush,John McCain and Mitt Romney.Both Hispanics and the black vote was much,much higher for Donald Trump,proving them all wrong.He again proved George W Bush wrong too,who thought the same way they did.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
DBowling wrote:
Let me ask you this...

Someone is lying here.
Either Trump is lying.

Yes,someone is lying.Like I said,I know that Donald Trump would not use that kind of language about Hati because it implies he does not want immigrants from them kind of countries.I think that even you are confused and you think that Trump is against immigration,but this has never been the case.It is about legal or illegal immigration and the left and many RINO'S want illegal immigration for political votes.They think that it will gain them future votes and are not even thinking about real US Citezens and the impact on them.But Donald Trump proved all of them wrong,all of the political experts on the MSM during the election that all swore up and down that Trump cannot win,because he will alienate the voters,and yet more hispanics and blacks voted for Donald Trump than who voted for George W Bush,John McCain and Mitt Romney.Both Hispanics and the black vote was much,much higher for Donald Trump,proving them all wrong.He again proved George W Bush wrong too,who thought the same way they did.
Betting the house on Trump NOT being the one lying could prove to be a big mistake.

Anyone have a video or an article with what Trump supposedly said? I still can't find what this is about.

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote:
Anyone have a video or an article with what Trump supposedly said? I still can't find what this is about.
From Fox News
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/01/12/c ... ation-deal
“Why are we having all these people from s***hole countries come here?” Trump said in a bipartisan meeting, according to multiple people in the room. The statement was confirmed by Fox News.

The Washington Post reported that he singled out Haitians, asking: “Why do we need more Haitians? Take them out."
More detail from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/ ... index.html
Once the meeting got underway, it was clear Trump wasn't in the mood to entertain the plan being offered by Durbin and Graham, which would have increased border security funding, allowed for a 10- to 12-year path to citizenship for some young undocumented immigrants and provided protections for individuals with Temporary Protected Status from countries such as El Salvador and Haiti.
It was that final provision that prompted Trump's vulgarity. Asking why the US needs more Haitians, he pushed to "take them out" of the deal. And in a separate part of the conversation about the diversity visa lottery, Trump referred to people coming from Africa as coming from "s***hole countries."
In the moments after he made the insulting remarks, Trump's advisers and allies looked at one another with concern, according to a White House official. There was little chance the sentiments he expressed, or the foul language he used to express them, would remain private for long.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
DBowling wrote:
Let me ask you this...

Someone is lying here.
Either Trump is lying.

Betting the house on Trump NOT being the one lying could prove to be a big mistake.

I know,but you'll eventually see that I am right.I don't think anyone will be able to provide you proof of him actually saying it because it is based on an annonymous source,with he said,she said mixed in,that the media is reporting it,again Trump is not against immigration from them kinds of countries.In the discussions with both Republicans and Democrats over discussion over DACA He did bring up merit-based immigration like Australia does with immigrants as a negotiating tactic,but he is not against immigration.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ok. Where's the proof he actually said that? Let's assume he actually did call certain countries, "S______e" countries.

Other than being blunt, and rude, what's the big deal? Aren't we used to Trump saying things like this?

Where's the part that was racist? People are calling him racist(again) for this.

Do we have a quote from someone who was there, and heard him say this?

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Ok. Where's the proof he actually said that? Let's assume he actually did call certain countries, "S______e" countries.

Other than being blunt, and rude, what's the big deal? Aren't we used to Trump saying things like this?

Where's the part that was racist? People are calling him racist(again) for this.

Do we have a quote from someone who was there, and heard him say this?
I tend to agree with you that even if he did say it,we could spin it like that.But I do not believe he said it to begin with.