How do we stop terrorism?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

How do we stop terrorism?

Post by JurassicTerrorist »

So i'm currently writing a report about the fight against terrorism for school. Now i'm of course not asking for how to completely exterminate terrorism, since that would almost be impossible. Anyway, what do you believe could stop terrorism? Do you believe we just basically need to wipe em' out, or do you believe it's far more complex than that?

(P.S it will mostly be about Islamic terrorism for obvious reasons).

EDIT: Also do you believe immigration might be one of the causes of terror?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How do we stop terrorism?

Post by RickD »

Nothing short of the return of Jesus Christ, will end terrorism. IMO.

The human heart has no bounds to its wickedness.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
JurassicTerrorist
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JurassicTerrorist »

RickD wrote:Nothing short of the return of Jesus Christ, will end terrorism. IMO.

True, however i can't add that in a school report. I know terrorism can't be entirely defeated by humans, but is it possible we could weaken terrorist organisations (especially Islamic terrorist organisations) so much they would barely possess any threat to us anymore? And how?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

JurassicTerrorist wrote:
RickD wrote:Nothing short of the return of Jesus Christ, will end terrorism. IMO.

True, however i can't add that in a school report. I know terrorism can't be entirely defeated by humans, but is it possible we could weaken terrorist organisations (especially Islamic terrorist organisations) so much they would barely possess any threat to us anymore? And how?
I'm no terrorism expert, so I don't know the answer.

But I'd guess, in the case of Islamic terrorists, with the ideology they hold, total annihilation(of the terrorists, not all Muslims) is the only means to completely stop them.

its a completely different kind of war than we as civilized nations, are used to.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

We can't defeat ideology.
It's not an army but an ideal.
We can conquer governments but not sentiments.
How do we lesson it?
We stop fuelling it.
When the West has far too much political interest in a region for whatever reason, in this case MONEY or aka OIL then we place ourselves in that position.
When we fund and arm radicals then we help to set the stage, until they turn on us. Then we do it again and don't learn.
When we topple governments and leave armies and regions upheaved and disempowered and directionless for our own benefit based on false intelligence. Leaving a region and men open to being requited for anti western and extreme ideologies.
When pictures emerge of these men being tortured by the US military with dog collars around their neck, naked and being urinated on this was claimed by intelligence as the key turning point of massive numbers joining extremist groups.
When social media is splashed with hatred towards Arabs and Muslims backed by political and religious leaders calling them dogs, pigs, unworthy of belonging or entering our nations.
Basically anything that feuls their ideology. Which we are doing a mighty fine job of.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

We can't defeat ideology.
Ideaology can't kill us. Determined armies with bombs and guns can and do. You will NEVER erradicate the ideaology driving radical Islam. Its aggressive, murderous teachings and beliefs - the very same ones Muhammad so successfully exploited to conquer so much territory by the sword - are alive, well and violently proliferating today, nearly 14 cenuries later. But you can (and we BETTER) stop their armies and agents of terror and evil. For many such radicals, they equate their ideals with the very wishes of Allah - something many are unlikely to abandon.
When the West has far too much political interest in a region for whatever reason, in this case MONEY or aka OIL then we place ourselves in that position.
If anyone thinks we will stop the Islamists by abandoning all interests in the Middle East they are fantasizing. This will not stop them. Their goals go far beyond that, to dominating, anilating or occupying the West/the world. For every perceived slight by the West, they are eagar to commit untold horrors that make their beefs with the West one big, sick, hypocritical joke. Theirs are no logical, moral, justified, or peace-seeking objectives - ALL, as they've prolifically stated, are the exact opposite of people who truly care about anything other than their own evil objectives, which are political and militaristic, using the cloak of religion to drive and support it.

When we fund and arm radicals then we help to set the stage, until they turn on us. Then we do it again and don't learn. When we topple governments and leave armies and regions upheaved and disempowered and directionless for our own benefit based on false intelligence. Leaving a region and men open to being requited for anti western and extreme ideologies.
These are true.
When social media is splashed with hatred towards Arabs and Muslims backed by political and religious leaders calling them dogs, pigs, unworthy of belonging or entering our nations.
The vast majority of people in the West are NOT anti-Muslim, but anti-radical Islamists - despite all of the anonymous morons that the press likes to paint all of the opposition to be about. The problem is, you have people who are immersed in Muslim societies that have long practiced hatred against their own. Add in the teachings of Islam and the results are evermore deadly. So, the resistance to bringing people into our societies who pose a serious risk is understandable. When armed militants are mowing down innocent civilians abroad, not occupying armies at home, but civilians of all stripes and faiths at a Christmas party, you can bet the backlash will be enormous, and so the far-right immoral nuts amongst us will become exceptionally vocal.

But if anyone thinks radical Islam will be stopped by playing nice by the West, they are delusional! Anyone who thinks key ISLAMIC teachings found in the Quran aren't a major part of the problem, they need to study exactly what it says. Let's not forget that the radicals are also slaughtering their fellow Muslims like flies. If they hate their fellow Muslims enough to do this, what makes anyone think "correct, more moral" treatment by the West will make a huge difference. So, trying to understand how we might placate such madness is pointless, as this is the equivalent of trying to rationally understand evil itself!

None of the above is to say that the West shouldn't deal as fairly and reasonably with the Islamic nations as we can. MANY mistakes HAVE been made. Taking out Saddam was understandable, given his history, the intelligence AT THE TIME. However, taking out the entire leadership, destablizing an entire country (and thus, region) - beyond stupid- with catastrophic results. But if we immediately perfectly treated the entire Islamic world beyond reasonable criticism, IT WOULD NOT CHANGE THE OBJECTIVES OF ISIS and similar groups, Iran, etc., not one bit! Even though our great "community organizer" (destabilizer) in Chief asserts so. The extremists would react by merely purging and killing those amongst themselves that would dare suggest making peace with "The Crusaders."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:We can't defeat ideology.
How do we lesson it?
We stop fuelling it.
When we fund and arm radicals then we help to set the stage, until they turn on us. Then we do it again and don't learn.
When we topple governments and leave armies and regions upheaved and disempowered and directionless for our own benefit based on false intelligence. Leaving a region and men open to being requited for anti western and extreme ideologies.
When pictures emerge of these men being tortured by the US military with dog collars around their neck, naked and being urinated on this was claimed by intelligence as the key turning point of massive numbers joining extremist groups.
Basically anything that feuls their ideology. Which we are doing a mighty fine job of.
I think you're right Mel.

The Muslim extremist who wants to conquer the world for Islam, killing anyone in there way, is just doing it because it's a response to what their enemies are doing.

Maybe we should placate them by being nice. I'm sure they'll drop their ideology if we would just be nice.

Makes sense to me. Sounds logical.

-Edward R Murrow

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote: But you can (and we BETTER) stop their armies and agents of terror and evil. For many such radicals, they equate their ideals with the very wishes of Allah - something many are unlikely to abandon.
They could be stopped but I doubt there is the political will to stop them.
Philip wrote:If anyone thinks we will stop the Islamists by abandoning all interests in the Middle East they are fantasizing. This will not stop them.
Indeed! When Israel pulled its settlements out of Gaza, it was hoped that this unilateral action would help the peace process. What actually happened? More war, all of it started by Hamas yet blamed on Israel. This is the pattern of what would happen if the USA and other Western nations pulled their interests out of the MidEast. We would be seen having lost the conflict and our security position would be weakened further still. Is it too much to ask to learn from history?

If you want to see what the ideal of a religion is like, look at its founder. Muhammad was a murderer, a theif and a pedophile. Like it or not, Muhammad was a psychopath. Thankfully, the vast majority of his followers are decent people. Unfortunately, more and more of Muhammad's followers see him as the ideal Muslim. As the terrorist events in Australia, Canada, France, Russia, the UK and the USA have shown, resident Muslims are now becoming radicalized. There are many more of these «time bombs» living among us.

As I said at the beginning, there is no political will to hunt down and stop radicals, be they at home or overseas.

y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Philip wrote:
But you can (and we BETTER) stop their armies and agents of terror and evil. For many such radicals, they equate their ideals with the very wishes of Allah - something many are unlikely to abandon.
FL: They could be stopped but I doubt there is the political will to stop them.
The political will shall only follow sustained and tremendous anger and fear due to a certain number and level of violent attacks like the one in Paris. And, at that point, we are unlikely to be having any further/substantial debate over continuing the present immigration and border policies. Enough blood, death and and bodies in the streets will undoubtedly do it. REALITY has a way of intruding upon naive, unsustainable, naive and dangerous thinking. It's sad that we can't learn some things vicariously, as we're often so stubborn and dense that we have to learn them up close and personal.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:As I said at the beginning, there is no political will to hunt down and stop radicals, be they at home or overseas.
Political will to do what?

As things stand there's been a bombing campaign going for a while now. Obama's also been drone crazy throughout his administration, so it's been raining Hellfire missiles for years. Special forces are active in the Middle East, and have been for years. We have advisers over there, as well as a bunch of mercenaries private security contractors. We're sharing intelligence with our allies, who are also bombing, and have been for years...

So what should we do that we haven't already been doing for years? Commit 500,000 ground troops? Chemical weapons? Take hostages? Torture more guys? Build internment camps at home? Close the border to people who look Muslim? Double down on the Patriot Act and just allow the CIA/FBI/NSA to do whatever they want?

Or were you thinking of the political will to do a bunch of the stuff that Mel suggested? That's the only thing we haven't tried...
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ed: what should we do that we haven't already been doing for years?
Well, Ed, I'm no defense strategist, but it's painfully clear we better do WHATEVER it takes to stop them. The things we've been doing are obviously inadequate and not terribly effective. We've been pussyfooting around with uncoordinated, willy-nilly efforts. Everyone agrees that, unchecked, continuing to grow in numbers, power, money, arms, and ability to cause mayhem, these guys are a threat to world peace and stability. This means it's time to get dead serious! This means appropriating the necessary people, money, equipment, and coordinated strategies required to be successful. Barry O is a complete Progressive idiot - this has happened on his watch and because of his policies and total lack of spine and leadership. IF these maniacs are ever able to get their hands on nukes, the world is in grave danger.

Ed, you trot out the usual rhetoric so as to insinuate that war against an organized evil army is somehow immoral, it's all our fault, etc., blah, blah. No, we don't need to torture or take hostages. Killing combatants and taking prisoners is what it will take. Conventional bombs will do just fine - no need for chemicals. However many boots to do the job, that's the number! To do less than what such a serious threat takes is completely suicidal!

So, Ed, what would YOU do? Strange how your immediate focus is concern over the METHODOLOGY we'll use to stop these lunatics, as opposed to concern that we actually DO, in fact, STOP them.

Maybe they just need some nice hugs and kind words, eh? Invite them over for cupcakes and tea, to join us in a heartfelt chorus of "Kumbaya?"
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

When I served, because of my skillset ( Sniper), counter-terrorism was taught.
For my specialty it was how to deal (take out) terrorist with hostages, bombs, counter-sniping, etc.

There is no way to stop ( talk out of, reason with) a person that is willing to trade their life for a kill, period.
You have to kill them before they do it.

We went over many tactics that have been tried over the decades ( centuries even as we addressed historical aspects also) and it was quite clear that certain modes of terrorism simply can NOT be reasoned with.
Fanatical terrorism, terror for terror's sake, must be exterminated.

The issue is, and history tells us this, that the extreme elements in any group ONLY have power when the moderates do NOTHING to oppose them.

In a more direct context based on what is going on right now in the world:

When was the last time you saw/heard/read moderate Muslims CONDEMNING a terrorist attack like the one in France?

Not saying that "not all muslims are like that", not saying " it's only a small extremist group doing this", BUT coming out and forcefully CONDEMNING the people that did this?

EX:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sTJzWLVV8zU/V ... otests.jpg
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

melanie wrote:We can't defeat ideology.
How do we lesson it?
We stop fuelling it.
I think it was in the 1958 Movie, Teacher's Pet with Clark Gable and Doris Day that an interesting and true new concept was introduced in the plot of the movie. Very funny movie too.

However, the point in the movie had to do with the new role of reporting news being taught in schools not to list facts but rather look into the reasons why criminals commit heinous crimes. In other words, sympathize with them by understanding their plight. Maybe it was poverty or society that didn't give them a fair chance. In other words, have folks sympathize with the heinous criminals and and their acts.

This style of reporting the news took off during the Vietnam War era. Films in the late 1950's to current also focused on justifying deviant behavior by blaming others or society for creating them and making criminals criminal or deviants. Some of this came from an effort to reshape society by use of behaviorism desensitization techniques used in film and news reporting. In other words, a traceable and well documented effort was launched to call evil good, and good evil. There is no nice way to say this.

I mention this as I read your post Mel...

I see it in your words. In fact, in the west whole generations of youth have and are being brought up in the educational systems to to look for scapegoats to blame for criminal acts and not the criminal being simply deviant/evil. So it is the West's fault or Bush's fault or Australians fault for provoking Muslims to attack and slaughter lives. The fault of Australians and their TV ads, movies, their dress, the way women act in Australia that provokes terrorist attacks. It is the Australian foreign policy or corporations selling cars in Muslims countries that provoke, only if we could just understand it will somehow stop.

Better yet, it is all evil America's fault, or capitalism, etc and etc is the reasons Muslims commit 99 percent of all terrorist attacks. So the answer as it has been propagated by western educational systems is that we must show a new moral superiority to sympathize with evil as evil has a reason to be evil and by such sympathy evil can be appeased and won over to look at the world with the same moral superiority and thus all will get along with a one world group hug.

This is terribly naive. There is evil in the world that seeks to enslave entire countries for geo-political control of all resources. This has been going on since Cain slew Able and Nimrod made in vogue. Evil points out the existence of the human sin nature to eschew the words of God in exchange for the superiority of human reason.

I know FL as well as myself have worked in the field of criminal justice. I worked in the Jail as well as a case manager monitoring treatment for Child Sex Offenders. Very charming these sex offenders are, and they will play people’s emotions in order for one to let down his or her guard so they can continue to offend in the vilest manner. We have seen evil. Many combat vets returning from the Middle east seen evil too in greater degrees from Muslims against their own and themselves. Law enforcement sees evil in crime scenes and vile nature. There is no sympathy for such evil as there is no one physical cause for it. Such evil is pathological and can only be stopped by use of force. Love, in the eyes of the evil, is simply a tool to exploit in order to secure more victims. That is a fact - it is truth.

We like to divide Muslims into two camps, radical and moderates. However, the religion of Islam is pathologically evil, devious, malicious no matter how much sugar coating is applied. Muslims are quick to incite that the bible teaches in the OT how God commanded Joshua to conquer the promised/covenant land of Abraham.

Let me respond to that charge: That was a one-time event and was never touted as the norm for spreading Judaism. It was a necessary historical event in a period of history in the most brutally dark times in paganism whose religions of the winged Lion, Devouring Bear, Leopard, dragon, demanding total submission to paganism beliefs, disease causing perversion, and human sacrifice on a scale we fail to recognize due to modern way of sympathy. These calls in the OT were temporary, and there was never any injunction for these to be continue as part of Judaism to spread around the globe.

However, in Islam, the injunction to slay the infidel, force world wide conquest of Islam (peace by submission) by all means possible has not ended. There is no historicalness in their writings that the warfare of conquest of the world has ever ceased. They are commanded to spread Islam by subterfuge, migration, warfare, infiltration, terrorism to this day. They do not serve the same God as Christians do. It is Islam, itself, that breeds and justifies criminal acts. These acts are not the result of western policies, or movies, videos, it is religion of warfare/fortresses and submission of will to a synthesized blend of pagan religious gods around the area of Mecca into one being.

It would be good for folks to realize this, that there is real evil in the world.

Yes, there are nice Muslims out there who deny their religion and not live true to it. Many of these folks are coming to Christ and forsaking Islam and its works based salvation that justifies in Muslim heaven the pleasures not permitted in this life for strict obedience to Islamic law. However, not all Muslims will come to Christ and because they are nice one day does not guarantee they will remain so once Islamic law is fully implemented.

It would be nice to actually have an open dialogue with moderate Muslim without the political correct cr--p. To actually discus works verse the grace of Jesus Christ. However, often what happens when one does begin such discussion with moderate Muslims is that they seem to lose moderate perspective and true colors show. I am thankful that The Lord is moving amongst Muslims and Muslims giving up Islam for faith in Jesus Christ in great degrees. However, all I can do is simple suggest not to be naively influenced by the modern news speak of sympathizing with evil.

Every Nation as well as all native tribes through out world history has wars in which they slew the entire populations of entire villages, raped and carried off women and children. This act is not confined to light colored skinned Europeans but all peoples. The struggle for world domination and control of all resources has been going on for centuries as well ad the taking of land.

The Message of Christ came as revolutionary - Forgive...

Act with wisdom toward all by use of goodness governed by wisdom (not governed by emotions or groupthink to overcome evil)

Have no fellowship with darkness but rather expose evil

Do not be a companion of fools or scoffers

Come out and be separate from the world

Though we live in the world system, we are not part of it so walk with wisdom towards those in the world with kindness, gentleness, truth, fairness... etc...

Friendship with the world (system) see James 4:4

Do not lose your saltiness

Be not unwise about the will of God (his love, mercy. justice, or grace)

Be sober minded - sound in your ability to reason

And so much more that adds insight into how God's love actually works to list further.

It is also good to know that unfortunately, that all people will not come to Christ because they will not due to their own free choice. However, we do not know who will or will not so we present the message of the cross to all with all wisdom that comes from God on such matters.

Blessings...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Absolutely, B.W.!

I am sensing that some here think that the REAL Islam is peaceful, just misunderstood, that it presents danger only in people who are already filled with hate. NO, the evil seed was sown by a warlord named Muhammad, 14 centuries ago! Those seeds have now grown into a fully mature forest of hate and evil.

Evil people love to make the naive think that 1) those attacked, brutalized and killed have somehow brought this on themselves due to 2) a reasonable analysis of supposed slights and an appropriate response, including even the butchering men, women and children civilians going about their daily lives. Evil people love to make peaceful people think that they are truly reasonable people that are somehow misunderstood and that their actions are reasonable and due to the direct result of past infractions by others, and that if we just met some of their more reasonable gripes, their evil would begin to subside. They are reasonable people, right? These are all lies that only the naive will buy into! Evil people don't tell the truth, they mass manufacture as many strategic lies as suit their purposes. The fact that many falsely believe the people joining in approval and applaud these hideous actions are reasonable people, whom, reasonably treated, would result in peace - this is belief and assertion of Barry O and Co. No WONDER the terrorists think God is on their side, as their "opposition" appears to be so brain dead.

Group think, mob actions, they cause havoc, whether on the playground between kids, in street fights and riots, or in radical movements approving of physical violence and systemic death (think the Nazis, WWII Japan). Those approving and joining in with groups like ISIS have bought into Group Think, to the point they have all become willing participants with these homicidal maniacs. And the last time I checked, you don't try to reason with homicidal maniacs, as they only understand ONE thing - superior power wielding swift punishment - this is what they respect. We shouldn't care if such people, with such values, LIKE us. Again, remember, they are also mass killing fellow Muslims in every town they take over.