Ten Commandment Monument removed

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Ten Commandment Monument removed

Post by Nessa »

tunde1992 wrote:i always thought this verse Matthew 22:37-40 was the reason we didn't follow the ten commandments anymore. that along with it being part of the old covenant.
Suming something up doesnt necessarily mean to forego the other commandments...its saying basically you will do the commandments cos they fall under two caterogries - loving God or loving your neighbour. Essentially when you are loving God and your neighbour you are fufiling the 10 commandments. I think the line of thought that dismisses the 10 commandments completely is a bit similar to those that reject the OT and go for The NT instead.

The bible is a living word.

The 10 commandments are still for us today I believe
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

tunde1992 wrote:i always thought this verse Matthew 22:37-40 was the reason we didn't follow the ten commandments anymore. that along with it being part of the old covenant.
https://www.gci.org/law/otl10
Is basically what Im getting at kinda
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:Nessa,

Read this.
I dunno, I guess I have always seen it differently..
I dont look to the 10 commandments to 'save me' as if I am judged by them cos then surely Id deserve hell.

But as I said, I don't dismiss them either. Jesus came to shed light on them...to expand on them...to fufil them. I think he was saying in Matt 5 that dont think you can dismiss the law...tell you what..im going to make it even harder...you hate your brother and you have already killed him in your heart...
Nessa,

Not only did Jesus fulfill the OT law, he made it obsolete.
Hebrews 8:13

13 [a]When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

The old covenant has been replaced by the new. Christians are to live by the spirit, not the law.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

"In Christianity, some of the laws of Moses are still valid, and others are not (for an example of each, the law about murder and the law about tassels). How do we know which is valid and which is obsolete? The New Testament is the authority by which the old covenant is to be understood'

A sample from the article
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I dont live under the law but I shouldnt break the laws that are still applicable today either
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
The 10 commandments are still for us today I believe.
All 10 of them? Even the 4th, regarding obeying the Sabbath?

Before you answer yes, and say Christians should take a day of rest, please understand that the Sabbath law required much more than just resting from work.

There were a whole lot of do's and don'ts regarding how Israel was told to obey the Sabbath. So, if you're going to follow the sabbath, as it was given, you need to follow it as it was given. Unless of course, you want to just make up your own Sabbath, and follow that. But wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of following God's law as He intended?

Thoughts?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:I dont live under the law but I shouldnt break the laws that are still applicable today either
How do you decide which OT laws are applicable today?

Do you just pick the laws you think you are able to keep, while tossing away the others?

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:I dont live under the law but I shouldnt break the laws that are still applicable today either
How do you decide which OT laws are applicable today?

Do you just pick the laws you think you are able to keep, while tossing away the others?
Yes, im about to comitt murder as we speak.....one less thug around to rob intrude and all ;) kidding of course

I already quoted from the article that it is not by ourselves that we judge what laws are still applicable or not but by the NT and ultimately by Jesus
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunde1992
Recognized Member

Post by tunde1992 »

None of the old covenant laws are valid anymore, that's the point of a new covenant
http://www.biblestudy.org/beginner/old- ... enant.html

The law is no longer written in tablets, but in our hearts , something like that
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
-matthew 6:33
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

tunde1992 wrote:None of the old covenant laws are valid anymore, that's the point of a new covenant

The law is no longer written in tablets, but in our hearts , something like that
Bingo! We have a winner!!! Correctamundo!
:twodancing: :toppoints: :rockcool:

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Before you answer yes, and say Christians should take a day of rest, please understand that the Sabbath law required much more than just resting from work.

There were a whole lot of do's and don'ts regarding how Israel was told to obey the Sabbath. So, if you're going to follow the sabbath, as it was given, you need to follow it as it was given. Unless of course, you want to just make up your own Sabbath, and follow that. But wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of following God's law as He intended?

Thoughts?
If you take the.Sabbath in context of what it means for us as christians today, it is still applicable. God's word is living..Its not a history book of sorts
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Thoughts?
If you take the.Sabbath in context of what it means for us as christians today, it is still applicable. God's word is living..Its not a history book of sorts
Oh...so you take its meaning out of its proper context, give it a new context, then just follow it however you feel like following it? And to heck with the way God wanted it done? You just play Frank Sinatra, and do it your way?

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
tunde1992 wrote:None of the old covenant laws are valid anymore, that's the point of a new covenant

We are both to some extent right...a paradox maybe
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:

I'd fine tune that to be, they're valid... but when you enter into the new covenant as said would be of the heart in the OT, then we are simply free to just love God and each other in Christ (and these two things are the foundation of the 10 Commandments).

And adhering to the Sabbath in the 10 Commandments was about respecting God as rightful Lord of creation (this link to creation is found in the 10 Commandments passage). So ought we not do that?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Thoughts?
Oh...so you take its meaning out of its proper context, give it a new context, then just follow it however you feel like following it? And to heck with the way God wanted it done? You just play Frank Sinatra, and do it your way?
No, not at all..you find out what laws are applicable by the NT and what the NT has to say as I stated before

Do you not believe the word of God is living and has different layers? E.g can have more than one meaning within a scripture and can be applied beyond the primary context?
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.