Nelson Mandela dies

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Nelson Mandela dies

Post by RickD »

Daniel wrote:
I think people just want to celebrate the good he has done for this world and forgive him for the bad, remember forgive is to forget.
Daniel,

How many people do you think know any of the bad about Mandela? Tbh, all I really knew was that he was famous for his fight against apartheid. I admit that I didn't study his life, but I've never heard anything bad about him from the media. I don't think it's a case of people overlooking the bad to celebrate the good. I could be wrong, but I believe it's a case of celebrating the good, because people don't know the bad. I bet the normal, everyday person has no idea about the bad stuff this guy was involved with.

I for one, will not praise a man who unapologetically promoted the wholesale murder of unborn humans. Ending apartheid, as noble of a cause that is, doesn't make up for murder.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I think people just want to celebrate the good he has done for this world and forgive him for the bad, remember forgive is to forget.
Daniel,

How many people do you think know any of the bad about Mandela? Tbh, all I really knew was that he was famous for his fight against apartheid. I admit that I didn't study his life, but I've never heard anything bad about him from the media. I don't think it's a case of people overlooking the bad to celebrate the good. I could be wrong, but I believe it's a case of celebrating the good, because people don't know the bad. I bet the normal, everyday person has no idea about the bad stuff this guy was involved with.

I for one, will not praise a man who unapologetically promoted the wholesale murder of unborn humans. Ending apartheid, as noble of a cause that is, doesn't make up for murder.

Well to honestly answer your question, I think most people I know actually know his past pretty well. It in fact it was bought up at church last Sunday as an example of having to tear down a system to rebuild another and not always being perfect about it.
I for one, will not praise a man who unapologetically promoted the wholesale murder of unborn humans.
You presume to know the mans heart and judged him according to your limited knowledge about him, what makes his sins any worse than yours, I am sure you would have some sins that you have been unapologetic for, I sure know I still probably have some. Just because a person may have got something wrong does not make them inherently bad and worthless.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Daniel wrote:
Well to honestly answer your question, I think most people I know actually know his past pretty well. It in fact it was bought up at church last Sunday as an example of having to tear down a system to rebuild another and not always being perfect about it.
Maybe it's different down under.
Daniel wrote:
You presume to know the mans heart and judged him according to your limited knowledge about him, what makes his sins any worse than yours, I am sure you would have some sins that you have been unapologetic for, I sure know I still probably have some. Just because a person may have got something wrong does not make them inherently bad and worthless.
What? Where did that come from? I'm not judging his heart(whatever that means). And I'm certainly not saying I'm less sinful than he is. And I never called him or anyone "inherently bad or worthless".

I think you need to reread my statement.

The man is being hailed as some kind of god. He's not. Nobody is.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I didn't know his past, and I didn't know his present and how he governed and turned a blind eye to racism.

I didn't know he supported violence as a means to an end just as much as peace (in Mandela's own words, although he was portrayed as a Ghandi who overturned apartheid in his country only via peaceful means).

I didn't know that he was communist and even wrote a detailed book on it -- was a communist terrorist and considered anti-US which much the reason for his arrest.

I didn't know he was part of a terrorist group who bombed innocent women and children and still affiliated with them.

I didn't know he supported so many immoral policies including killing unborn babies at all stages of life.

I didn't know that Mandela still supported movements that are clearly hateful towards white South Africans (imagine a white person singing "I pledge to kill all niggers" and a white US president standing in front with his fist raised).

I didn't know about his self pride and love of being portrayed as he was in the media.

I didn't know he rubbed shoulders with many dictators around the world and even sent them tributes.

I really just didn't know a whole lot about the guy, except the Saint-like status he had in the West -- that he was like another Ghandi or a Dalai Lama only different.

If we can still know things about Christ, then we sure can know a bit about a guy who died in our generation.

Forget everything I posted. I didn't really know much about the guy and was much like you when my wife mentioned some passing words. Then I researched. And that is when I saw the side rarely presented.

But just do some open research yourself. I'm not, Rick's not, tell you to hate the guy, or judge him any more unfairly than Mother Teresa, Hitler or more recently CS Lewis. Just do some research and be a bit more informed. Because being Aussie, I know you would have received the same stories I did and a very positive saint-like image of Mandela.

And I don't want this to be a pay out on Mandela thread... but just an eye opener to the real Mandela -- both good and bad.

Cheers.

:cheers:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:What? Where did that come from? I'm not judging his heart(whatever that means).
You said he was not apologetic, how do you know?

How do you know when he has gone to meet God he hasn't fallen to his knees for his crimes begging for forgiveness.

How do you know he wasn't sorry in this life, maybe deep down he regretted any casualties, the point is we just don't know unless we are God.

The man is being hailed as some kind of god. He's not. Nobody is.
I think God is a bit of a stretch, but yes is is praised for the good work he has done and I have no issue with remembering the good about someone who has died.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

I'm rather ignorant of much regarding Nelson Mandela & the movement he was spearheading. I was aware there was much bloodshed in this wake and he had been imprisoned for a very long time for attempts to overthrow the powers that be by force. The few, only white, people I know who were living through it seem to think it was worth it along with popular opinion. That violence was part of changing the power structure in SA seems natural to me, the violence used to establish it was beyond belief.

Describing him as a Saint seems odd, I'll leave that to Pope Francis. In my limited knowledge I would say that Nelson Mendela changed the world for the better and this is why people mourn him, flaws and all he changed not only SA but made an impact worldwide.

I think the Specials should get working on a new song:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcTvoWjZJU[/youtube]

The only reports I've read along the lines of "He was teh AWESOME!!!!" were in tabloids with bikini shots of celebrities who lost/gained weight on either side.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:[Mandela] is being hailed as some kind of god. He's not. Nobody is.
Yeah...that's the problem I have with this Mandela business. Example: I was at a Christmas concert last Saturday and the choir director dedicated 2 songs to Mandela...huh???

I don't understand why the media is milking this Mandela story for all it's worth. It reminds me of the personality cults around the leaders of the USSR back in the day. Or the cult which still exists in Cuba around Fidel Castro.

FL :xxpuke:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Yeah...that's the problem I have with this Mandela business. Example: I was at a Christmas concert last Saturday and the choir director dedicated 2 songs to Mandela...huh???
FL, don't you know, Mandela is the reason for the season? :shock:
FL wrote:
I don't understand why the media is milking this Mandela story for all it's worth. It reminds me of the personality cults around the leaders of the USSR back in the day. Or the cult which still exists in Cuba around Fidel Castro.
What's that old saying? Communists of a feather flock together...

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I've got an idea.

Since it is December, and many prefer a different meaning to Christmas than the one Christian's celebrate with Christ's birth...

How about we instead celebrate ChristMan?? Get the best of both worlds. :lol:

Sorry, lame, I know... y=;
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:I've got an idea.

Since it is December, and many prefer a different meaning to Christmas than the one Christian's celebrate with Christ's birth...

How about we instead celebrate ChristMan?? Get the best of both worlds. :lol:

Sorry, lame, I know... y=;
And you were doing so well... :shakehead: :lol:

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

You guys are a bunch of loonies, always thinking the worst of everyone and that commie satan is hiding around every corner just waiting to jump out. :shakehead:
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Hey Rick... tread careful... I think skippy might be a commie satan... he's just waiting to jump out on us, err... hop?!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

I'm hopping lightly through the field of crazy fundies. :troll:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:You guys are a bunch of loonies, always thinking the worst of everyone and that commie satan is hiding around every corner just waiting to jump out. :shakehead:
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck....it must be Donald Duck the commie satan. Dan was or was not, Nelson Mandela one who promoted communism?

If you want to put the guy on a pedestal, feel free. But I ain't playin that game. While you're at it, why don't we honor Hitler too. You know, because he did revive the German economy after WWI. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:Hey Rick... tread careful... I think skippy might be a commie satan... he's just waiting to jump out on us, err... hop?!
Is skippy the kommie kangaroo in Dan's avatar? See, that's how commies get you hooked. They look all cute and marsupial-like. Then "WHAMMO", they hit you with the kommie kangaroo kick.

-Edward R Murrow