Americans are Idiots

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Americans are Idiots

#1

Post by Murray » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 am

I feel like a growing portion of the american population are becoming idiots.

When I look on yahoo news and look at the comments about how the Jews and the Illuminati are controlling us "sheeple" and plan to take over the world (a very large portion of comments of yahoo look like this). Also quite disturbing when you read comments like this
"The Jews are an infestation and we should support iran in removing the scum form the earth; Jews cause wars, kill children, and promote genocide"

Then I also see switching of values from intelligence and hard work, to smoking weed and being lazy (many rap songs are about smoking weed and being lazy).

In my government and global issues class I feel like me and friend (who's in my bible study group) are the only people who have any idea what anything is. We had a kid shout in the middle of class after the teacher asked a question "because obamas a Muslim and wants to turn us into a communist country", then the teacher asked him what communism was and he said "what Obama wants". Also when I discuss anything with the teacher people turn around in awe shock and ask "how do you know this stuff dude?". Oh and my favorite quote was from global issues class "we should give iran more foreign aid and stop foreign aid to israel because that would cause the middle eastern countries to like us more".

And in my government class I swear people have absolutly no idea how a government operates, they say " we shouldn't tax people because that's like stealing" "we should make the rich get as much money as the poor" (communism) "take money from the rich and give it to the poor cuz that's fair" (socialism / redistribution).

And the lack of understanding of history throughout america annoys the living crap out of me. History should be studied more than any other subject if you ask me, people should be required to read more history in and out of school and at all ages. History is so vitally important and when you don't understand it and learn it you get yahoo commenters saying how the jews should be wiped out. I bet you if I were to ask 10 Americans for 10 countries that were in WWII, only 1 would be able to, and If I asked 15 people who created the "final solution to the jewish question" only 2 would be able to.

Stupidity and drifting of Morals is what is causing america to fail IMO.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Americans are Idiots

#2

Post by Gman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Ultimately I believe there is a quest to make Israel look like an aggressor. Most likely most countries will side with the big oil companies and abandon Israel. In other words, it will be the love of money and the economy that will control man's destiny while God's covenants will be thrown under the bus and forgotten.

I don't really think that Americans are idiots however. ;)

As for Jews being rich.. Take a trip to Israel sometime and look at the slums the orthodox Jewish communities live in like the Amish. Ceasing to work on Shabbat. How dare they? :P
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:32 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Americans are Idiots

#3

Post by Stu » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm

Murray wrote:In my government and global issues class I feel like me and friend (who's in my bible study group) are the only people who have any idea what anything is. We had a kid shout in the middle of class after the teacher asked a question "because obamas a Muslim and wants to turn us into a communist country", then the teacher asked him what communism was and he said "what Obama wants". Also when I discuss anything with the teacher people turn around in awe shock and ask "how do you know this stuff dude?". Oh and my favorite quote was from global issues class "we should give iran more foreign aid and stop foreign aid to israel because that would cause the middle eastern countries to like us more".
Is this high school or university?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Americans are Idiots

#4

Post by Murray » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Gman wrote:
I don't really think that Americans are idiots however. ;)
Perhaps ignorant is a better word.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Americans are Idiots

#5

Post by Gman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Murray wrote:
Gman wrote:
I don't really think that Americans are idiots however. ;)
Perhaps ignorant is a better word.
Yes.. Perhaps.. I think our problems however is when we try to think too much with our heads instead of our hearts. Right now there is a nervous panic for everyone to get the highest education on the planet. A PHD for this and a PHD for that.. The problem with this type of belief system is that having high educational degrees are not always the answer for our society. Why? Well if you think about, half of our time is wasted trying to restore the damage of what some other PHD'er did. Think about all the toxic chemicals we've pumped into our rivers in the name of science and getting ahead for the almighty dollar.. In other words we are simply wasting our time with stupidity creating things that are actually harming the planet.. Bigger isn't always better..

So what do really have for our future children? Cancer, toxic chemicals, nukes, plastics, and other harmful crap with have created. We deserve judgment.

Education isn't bad, but I think we need to focus on the right type of education.. And my belief is part of that starts with God.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
wrain62
Valued Member
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:09 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Americans are Idiots

#6

Post by wrain62 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Gman wrote:
Murray wrote:
Gman wrote:
I don't really think that Americans are idiots however. ;)
Perhaps ignorant is a better word.
Yes.. Perhaps.. I think our problems however is when we try to think too much with our heads instead of our hearts. Right now there is a nervous panic for everyone to get the highest education on the planet. A PHD for this and a PHD for that.. This problem with this type of belief system is that having high educational degrees are not always the answer for our society. Why? Well if you think about, half of our time is wasted trying to restore the damage of what some other PHD'er did. Think about all the toxic chemicals we've pumped into our rivers in the name of science and getting ahead for the almighty dollar.. In other words we are simply wasting our time with stupidity creating things that are actually harming the planet.. Bigger isn't always better..

Education isn't bad, but I think we need to focus on the right education.. And my belief is part of that starts with God.
you know that education is eternalized when it stays with a religion, since those survive beyond nations and crisis. It has the strong incentive to teach lay people and unlike governments they stand the test of time. The problem would only be in the definition of education: is the emphasis control or love? If not love then education does not mean much more than illiteracy. Also God is a great coherent framework in education if done in the right way.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Americans are Idiots

#7

Post by Gman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 pm

wrain62 wrote:
you know that education is eternalized when it stays with a religion, since those survive beyond nations and crisis. It has the strong incentive to teach lay people and unlike governments they stand the test of time. The problem would only be in the definition of education: is the emphasis control or love? If not love then education does not mean much more than illiteracy. Also God is a great coherent framework in education if done in the right way.
There are times however when spiritual head knowledge can be divisive too... Again not to knock knowledge or education either... We need to be careful however about worldly knowledge too. Having a PHD from Harvard will not get you into heaven. It's goes much deeper than that...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

Noah1201
Recognized Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:21 pm
Christian: No
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Americans are Idiots

#8

Post by Noah1201 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:14 pm

Are you in high school? I wish we had "government" and "global events" classes.

Noah1201
Recognized Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:21 pm
Christian: No
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Americans are Idiots

#9

Post by Noah1201 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:21 pm

I have to confess I'm pretty ignorant myself (though I am not from America). It's because I used to see no value in having broad knowledge on a variety of subjects with no practical application. I remember I asked my grandmother why I should care about history, she said "so when someone asks you, you can show them how knowledgeable you are". I thought, and still do think, that that's a pretty awful reason to study.

Anyway, now, at the age of 17 and a half, having realized the importance of having an understanding of some of these subjects, I hope it's not too late to catch up.

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Americans are Idiots

#10

Post by Murray » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:18 am

Noah1201 wrote:I have to confess I'm pretty ignorant myself (though I am not from America). It's because I used to see no value in having broad knowledge on a variety of subjects with no practical application. I remember I asked my grandmother why I should care about history, she said "so when someone asks you, you can show them how knowledgeable you are". I thought, and still do think, that that's a pretty awful reason to study.

Anyway, now, at the age of 17 and a half, having realized the importance of having an understanding of some of these subjects, I hope it's not too late to catch up.

I looovvvve history. It's not even about knowing more than others, it just helps you understand the world and gives you brain satisfying knowledge. Like through the day I'll go on Wikipedia, type in random country's military, then read about different wars they've been in, or just read about the history of the country ect... I'll literally probably read my school history books at least 3 times through by the end of the year, just too addicting for me. I can never read enough history.

History is my thing, for many people it's not, just depends what you're interetsed in really, im only 17 as well, but i can never get enough :ebiggrin:
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

Short1
Recognized Member
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:44 pm
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Americans are Idiots

#11

Post by Short1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Something I plan on doing after college is living in a tiny house. Hop on Youtube and type in 'tiny houses' and you'll get an idea of what the movement is. Very eco friendly, puts a limit on material addiction, and personally I don't want a mortgage or a lack of free time.

Just a plug for my idea of doing your part to conserve. : ] Not for everyone though.

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Americans are Idiots

#12

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Short1 wrote:Something I plan on doing after college is living in a tiny house. Hop on Youtube and type in 'tiny houses' and you'll get an idea of what the movement is. Very eco friendly, puts a limit on material addiction, and personally I don't want a mortgage or a lack of free time.

Just a plug for my idea of doing your part to conserve. : ] Not for everyone though.
I liked America better when she was rich and powerful and had a strong moral compass. Her citizens used to dream of big homes with swimming pools and two cars in the garage. When you got rid of God you got rid of all the blessing your country had. Go ahead...dream of your tiny house! Why not go completely green and live under a bridge in a cardboard box? y8-X = y**==

(I have a tiny house too! It's called a motorhome.)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Americans are Idiots

#13

Post by Gman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote: I liked America better when she was rich and powerful and had a strong moral compass. Her citizens used to dream of big homes with swimming pools and two cars in the garage. When you got rid of God you got rid of all the blessing your country had. Go ahead...dream of your tiny house! Why not go completely green and live under a bridge in a cardboard box? y8-X = y**==

(I have a tiny house too! It's called a motorhome.)

FL

Ok ok... You win. We are all moving to Canada now.. :P

Looks like they got the blessing now too.. http://thelandofisrael.com/blog/israels ... s-booming/
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Americans are Idiots

#14

Post by Murray » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 am

I'm moving to Somalia.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Americans are Idiots

#15

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:44 am

Gman wrote:Ok ok... You win. We are all moving to Canada now..
Do not despair! ...there is a lot that is still OK with the USA, which is why many Canadians like to winter down south.
Murray wrote:I'm moving to Somalia.
Sounds exciting! I've never been there. Send us a postcard (assuming they don't machine-gun you the minute you step off the plane.)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

Post Reply