Prayer for Hitchens

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Prayer for Hitchens

Post by BavarianWheels »

Atheist Hitchens skipping prayer day in his honor

I guess it's one way "God" has the last word. ;)
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Prayer for Hitchens

Post by narnia4 »

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Hitchens that I don't have for the other "new atheists". He has an entertaining writing style and doesn't have quite the same smarmy arrogance that Dawkins or some like him have. I don't think he has quite the hate for Christians as Dawkins either, and a blog I saw (can't recall what one) mentioned that he probably takes Christianity more seriously than Dawkins, Harris, etc.

It's a sad thing, he may very well die without ever learning the truth.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

It is actually desperately sad. I really feel for the guy. I hope God really does enter into his life in a big way - whether to heal him or to let him see that he loves him even though Hitchens has spent a great deal of his life fighting him.

Silvertusk
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

Silvertusk wrote:It is actually desperately sad. I really feel for the guy. I hope God really does enter into his life in a big way - whether to heal him or to let him see that he loves him even though Hitchens has spent a great deal of his life fighting him.

Silvertusk
It could be much like Saul of Tarsus, aye? From an enemy of God to a champion of God. That would be pretty cool.
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by 7777777 »

Prayer won't help him if he continues to deny Christ. He needs to do his part or why waste our time? And, Gods for that matter.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Sometimes the point of prayer isn't necessarily what it does for the person being prayed for, but what it does to the heart of the one praying. I don't know what hope there is for Hitchins as in the end that is between him and God. I do know however that Jesus directly calls us to: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"

That's enough for me. If it does nothing for Hitchens, I want my heart to show the love of Christ in this regard and so I'll pray for him.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Recognized Member

Post by 7777777 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Sometimes the point of prayer isn't necessarily what it does for the person being prayed for, but what it does to the heart of the one praying. I don't know what hope there is for Hitchins as in the end that is between him and God. I do know however that Jesus directly calls us to: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"

That's enough for me. If it does nothing for Hitchens, I want my heart to show the love of Christ in this regard and so I'll pray for him.

Who exactly are you trying to prove your "love" to? God sees your heart and if you're trying to impress others with this "love", you're praying for the wrong reason.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I'm not trying to prove my love to anyone. Where did I state I was attempting to do so?

Jesus is the one who said to Love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Why do you think Jesus said that, if He didn't intend for us to do it?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Recognized Member

Post by 7777777 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I'm not trying to prove my love to anyone. Where did I state I was attempting to do so?
Then, why pray for him?
Canuckster1127 wrote: Jesus is the one who said to Love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Why do you think Jesus said that, if He didn't intend for us to do it?
Jesus also asked His father to forgive those who were killing Him. Did Jesus really expect God to forgive non-believers? Do you think God forgave them?

The point I was trying to make is that Hitchens' fate is his own.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

7777777 wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I'm not trying to prove my love to anyone. Where did I state I was attempting to do so?
Then, why pray for him?
Canuckster1127 wrote: Jesus is the one who said to Love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. Why do you think Jesus said that, if He didn't intend for us to do it?
Jesus also asked His father to forgive those who were killing Him. Did Jesus really expect God to forgive non-believers? Do you think God forgave them?

The point I was trying to make is that Hitchens' fate is his own.
Why pray for him? Jesus tells us to. What more do you need?

Hitchens fate is his own. That will be between God and him. Excuse me if I don't form a cheerleading squad to celebrate his demise.

In the meantime, I'll continue to ask God to grant me the grace to love others, even enemies and I'll pray for them.
Recognized Member

Post by 7777777 »

Canuckster1127 wrote: Excuse me if I don't form a cheerleading squad to celebrate his demise.
Why not? I'm sure God is. If you don't know how God feels towards Him enemies, you must not read your Bible much.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Read the Bible? Now there is a good idea.

“Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? said the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?” (Eze 18:23)

“For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dies, said the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live.” (Eze 18:32)

“Say to them, As I live, said the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn you, turn you from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house of Israel?” (Eze 33:11)
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

7777777 wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote: Excuse me if I don't form a cheerleading squad to celebrate his demise.
Why not? I'm sure God is. If you don't know how God feels towards Him enemies, you must not read your Bible much.
You can't be serious. :shakehead:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

obviously you don't read your Bible much...
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
ryeguy123
Familiar Member

Post by ryeguy123 »

get well soon hitchen :crying: you are a great person who i hope recovers