Ground Zero Mosque...

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
ChrisB
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Ground Zero Mosque...

Post by ChrisB »

Obama is in support of it, saying that Muslims 'have the right' to build it... :brick:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41060.html

Having a mosque built where almost 3000 people lost their lives to Muslim extremists?! Back in the 7th & 8th centuries, one of the first things Muslim Caliphs did was to build a mosque over any land they had conquered, which was basically to say, "We own you."

I do'nt know about the rest of you, but I seriously think this an insult to the people who were killed, their families, and the men and women risking their lives to defend this nation from terrorists.
"Materialists and madmen never have doubts." -G.K. Chesterton
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Ground Zero Mosque...

Post by Gabrielman »

Samuel wrote:Obama is in support of it, saying that Muslims 'have the right' to build it... :brick:

Having a mosque built where almost 3000 people lost their lives to Muslim extremists?! Back in the 7th & 8th centuries, one of the first things Muslim Caliphs did was to build a mosque over any land they had conquered, which was basically to say, "We own you."

I do'nt know about the rest of you, but I seriously think this an insult to the people who were killed, their families, and the men and women risking their lives to defend this nation from terrorists.
I have heard of this and it is very sick. I am with you being against them.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
Telstra Robs
Established Member

Post by Telstra Robs »

It's name, the Cordoba House bears an eerie reference to the Mosque of Cordoba which was built over a church when the Muslims conquered Spain. Considering that the US is a democracy, shouldn't the people be surveyed about their opinion? Perhaps a vote of all the people in the city should be conducted, to see if they want it.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Telstra Robs wrote:It's name, the Cordoba House bears an eerie reference to the Mosque of Cordoba which was built over a church when the Muslims conquered Spain. Considering that the US is a democracy, shouldn't the people be surveyed about their opinion? Perhaps a vote of all the people in the city should be conducted, to see if they want it.
There has been various surveys done , and the most favorable one had 71% of people say that that it should NOT be be built.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

August wrote:
Telstra Robs wrote:It's name, the Cordoba House bears an eerie reference to the Mosque of Cordoba which was built over a church when the Muslims conquered Spain. Considering that the US is a democracy, shouldn't the people be surveyed about their opinion? Perhaps a vote of all the people in the city should be conducted, to see if they want it.
There has been various surveys done , and the most favorable one had 71% of people say that that it should NOT be be built.
Agreed.. It should not be built..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

I don't support this either, (and much less obummer's support) but I read an article yesterday, I'll try and find it (but I couldn't for the moment) that there is an existing mosque within 6 blocks or so now?! heh. Almost makes this argument silly...ALMOST. :)
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by sinnerbybirth »

BavarianWheels wrote:.
I don't support this either, (and much less obummer's support) but I read an article yesterday, I'll try and find it (but I couldn't for the moment) that there is an existing mosque within 6 blocks or so now?! heh. Almost makes this argument silly...ALMOST. :)
Bav, I wonder if the mosque you are mentioning, pre-dates the 9-11 attacks. I think some people view this as "Holy Ground" or, the same as building a mosque in a cemetery. JMO
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

sinnerbybirth wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:.
Bav, I wonder if the mosque you are mentioning, pre-dates the 9-11 attacks. I think some people view this as "Holy Ground" or, the same as building a mosque in a cemetery. JMO
Yes, I'm pretty sure the point of the article was that one had existed there already prior to 9/11.
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

I think it is pretty bad taste for them to build it. Even though it was an extreme sect of Muslims who were responsible for the WTC attacks and not Muslims in general, it seems like it would be much more respectful for them to recognize that a lot of Americans would be very offended by the gesture and refrain from building it.

HOWEVER I recognize that constitutionally, they should have a right to build it and no one should prohibit them from doing so.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

ChrisB wrote:Obama is in support of it, saying that Muslims 'have the right' to build it... :brick:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41060

.htmlHaving a mosque built where almost 3000 people lost their lives to Muslim extremists?! Back in the 7th & 8th centuries, one of the first things Muslim Caliphs did was to build a mosque over any land they had conquered, which was basically to say, "We own you."

Having a so-called American President to say they have a right to build a mosque at ground zero smacks of mockery.

I would rather O'bama go to a muslim country and try to build a Christian Church!!
:x
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

"so-called president"? What do you mean by that?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Canuckster1127 wrote:"so-called president"? What do you mean by that?
I just don't care for him, legislators don't usually make good presidents because
they haven't been in charge of running a government.

Traditionally, governers are more qualified for the job of the office of presidency.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

OK. I have no problem with you having that opinion. I might point out however that Lincoln, considered by many the greatest president ever doesn't meet your criteria.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

ChrisB wrote:Obama is in support of it, saying that Muslims 'have the right' to build it... :brick:

This mosque should not be built anywhere near ground zero. President Obama should have stayed out of it.

Let them build it in Saudi Arabic where most of the hijackers came from.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Canuckster1127 wrote:OK. I have no problem with you having that opinion. I might point out however that Lincoln, considered by many the greatest president ever doesn't meet your criteria.
Thanks for reminding of that, and you are quite right.
It isn't set in stone for me (criteria) and to be honest the one president I really liked was Ronald Reagan.
The others I have voted for (governers) have fallen short.