FOr those in California

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

FOr those in California

Post by zoegirl »

Gman, and CSSL

(anf others)

What's the news out there in CA. regarding the state of the state. Out here I just here that the state of CA is facing bankruptcy. Is this a common news thread? (other than MJ, of course :ewink: )
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: FOr those in California

Post by BavarianWheels »

I see that news too, but as of yet, haven't "felt" anything different. All seems normal as far as I can tell.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

yeah, I just wasn't sure hw prevalent it was in the news or if it was affecting any policies or running of the gov't
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I'm so bad, I don't read the newspaper much, but I did see this on the news. It will definitely affect state employees (which includes a lot of college and univ prof and staff). I think it is so ridiculous, partly because I can't help believing that a big problem with this debt issue has to do with bonds. I don't know how other states work, but here, it's really hard to raise taxes. So instead of paying for a project straight-out with tax money, these bonds keep getting passed instead. With the bonds, we pay almost twice as much money for the project. You know, like using a credit card. So California has many of these to pay off, with more piled on every year; how are we supposed to pay for them?? Otherwise, I haven't read about other issues - where the money goes - or if there are a lot of people/businesses here not paying taxes (I think there probably are a lot of businesses not paying taxes - we had one right behind us for a while). Also, I don't know how property tax works when a house is foreclosed. I assume the bank has to pay the property taxes, but maybe not.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

zoegirl wrote:Gman, and CSSL

(anf others)

What's the news out there in CA. regarding the state of the state. Out here I just here that the state of CA is facing bankruptcy. Is this a common news thread? (other than MJ, of course :ewink: )
Oops.. Missed your thread here Zoe. California, as you all may know by now is bankrupt. If you are a state worker, you are going to have problems. Mainly because the state ran out of money. They are now handing out IOU's and furloughs to the workers. This is one of the worst depressions I have ever seen here. As you may have already known, I'm a Federal worker, so I'm not affected, but if you are state, you've got problems.

Other than that, it's not like people are hanging out in the streets here. California is still a prosperous state. I wouldn't trade it for any other state... The work ethic here is very strong.. Although unemployment is around 11% I believe..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

Gman wrote:Although unemployment is around 11% I believe..
OUCH! :o
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

I can tell you ALL about it *sigh*. Yes us citizens who worked for 25 years for corporations that offered only a 401k and carefully managed us as a labor resource to maximize the value they obtained from us while minimizing compensation to us are today sick without medical care, unemployed, the illegals are rampant, the prisons are so full and the state so broke they are going to start releasing inmates, new and higher taxes are being planned. Southgate now has a 10.25% sales tax rate I believe (above the state and federal taxes citizens of Southgate [I think the white population went from about 97% in the 60's to just over 1% today] that aren't illegals have to pay). But hey, pot is legal here now.