"restoring science"

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

"restoring science"

Post by zoegirl »

Anybody else catch that phrase in the inaugural address where Obama states that he will "restore science" in its proper place and bring it back?

I thought it was a pretty clear dig to Bush's administration, not to mention a clear indication of what Pres. Obama will do for stem-cell research if he can get it through COngress.

Any thoughts?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: "restoring science"

Post by Cross.eyed »

It's my take on it that stem cell research is what the phrase was about, in other words Obama is being vague, but the people who financed his bid for office know this is a hot button issue for many.

I don't know why that is so, when adult stem cells ( from what I can gather ) seem to have a wider range of effectiveness and yet the research is behind politically speaking.
I'm guessing the clout is about getting future votes.

I believe we'll see more in the news about abortion also.

Thanks for posting this zoe, it's a great topic to discuss.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

I didn't know science ever left...did the scientists suddenly stop making discoveries while Bush was in office or something?
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

That's why I think it was a vague reference to specifically stem-cell research. Bush didn't oppose reserach in general (although perhaps some felt that he should have placed more funds available to researhc) but he didn't oppose it in general, only banning embryonic stem cell research.

I also wonder if it was a reference to those who had disdain for Bush's views on creation. My guess is that pretty much those in scientific circles all interpreted it that it was concerning stem-cells.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Swamper wrote:I didn't know science ever left...did the scientists suddenly stop making discoveries while Bush was in office or something?
Well...may be, the MSM portrayed him as being non-human from the time he first took office.
Could be the scientists were studying him instead(new discovery!).
owgore made 'em do it!!
I am the wretch the song refers to.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Let;s see...Pres. Obama has in just three days

1) reversed the ban on federal funding on abortion
2) placed a freeze on the Gitmo trials with a strong indication that many detainees will be released
3) set in motion to open up federal funding for stem-cell research.

We're in for a bumpy ride, folks.

Honestly, I can say that I feel already less secure in the U.S. seriously, I wonder if the terrorists are clamping their hands and sitting around planning their next move.
ugo
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by ugo »

In for a bympy ride???
The view from here in sunny Australia is that you guys have been riding the rapids for a while what with the fight against terrorism, hurricanes, local issues, huge debt and the financial crisis just to name a few.
I am not sure Obama can cause much more in the way of bumpy rides???
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Yes, but with the potential closing of GITMO, the question arises of what will happen with those detainees, will they be released? Inwhich case we know of several cases where they went right back to leading terrorist cells.

Will they be brought into the US? They aren't US citizens so they don't belong in the US trial system.

Will Obama be as tough on them? He is proposing a HUGE spending stimulus package. He rescinded the ban on funding for international abortions. So the pres who wants to stop spending so much is now spending for abortions not even in the US.

Yes, we have been in a bumpy ride, but I will say I felt more secure with BUsh with terrorism. I wonder how quickly the terrorist cells started strategizing.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I don't know about that... I think the Bush administration is probably more guilty of making more terrorists than dispelling them. The group of terrorist was a lot smaller around 911. Now they have more than doubled... In fact it really wasn't even a country that attacked the U.S.. It was an ideology.. In other words, we wrongfully attacked a country (Iraq) when it was actually an ideology we were fighting against. A war that cannot be won... Unless you want to kill all the people with that ideology of course... And if we look at Israel, well, it doesn't look like that war will ever end... At least it hasn't in 50 years...

I'm not saying don't do anything, I'm just saying make your statement, but also have a sound exit strategy while you are at it too...

Just my two cents.. :eugeek:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8