eHarmony Discrimination

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
harth1026
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

eHarmony Discrimination

Post by harth1026 »

A while back, a gay man from New Jersey sued eHarmony for discriminating against homosexuals. While the website was well known for it success in matching straight people, it offered nothing for same sex partners. Now I'm no law expert, but in my interpretation of the law eHarmony was not doing anything illegal. As a private business, they have a right to cater to whatever groups they please. But to force them to enter a market that they have no intention of enter is down right unlawful. Other match-making sites do offer same-sex options so its not like there wasn't the option available elsewhere. And it is unfortunate that eHarmony caved to the pressures of the gay community so now they are offering services for homosexuals.

But now if it were true that eHarmony was indeed dicriminating for not offering this service, what about other matchmaking sites like CatholicSingles.com? And should they also provide services for polygamists and pedophiles? Since we're on the topic, isn't banning prayer in school a form of discrimination? Why are jobs always looking for "hard-working" individuals? That's discrimination against the lazy. Why can't I play Playstation games on my Xbox?

If eHarmony was seriously unlawfully discriminating against homosexuals, then I want tacos, pizza, and hot dogs on the McDonald's dollar menu. Cause sometimes I want that stuff, but I'm unwilling to go to other restaurants to get it...
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Re: eHarmony Discrimination

Post by cslewislover »

I hadn't heard that yet. That's really too bad eharmony caved in like that. It seems to me that you're right, if it's a private business then they can offer what they want. But I'm not a law expert either. Why don't the homosexuals just leave some people alone? If there were other services, then why not just go with them? Obviously, the militant ones are doing all they can from their side of things.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
harth1026
Familiar Member

Post by harth1026 »

If you're interested in more on this, here's more info...
http://www.onlinedatingmagazine.com/new ... bians.html

Unfortunately, there is more to the settlement including having eHarmony advertise their new services too.
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

They haven't had much success with me :esurprised:

Three years and nothing.....Stopped paying for a bad investement :D
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

harth1026 wrote:As a private business, they have a right to cater to whatever groups they please.
And it is unfortunate that eHarmony caved to the pressures of the gay community so now they are offering services for homosexuals.
Huh? In the above two sentances, you just contradicted yourself. :? Since they're a private business, they can choose to offer match-making services for same sex couples. That will increase the potential market and get more customers. It seems like a wise move from a capitalist perspective.
And should they also provide services for polygamists and pedophiles?
Polygamy and pedophilia are both illegal. Homosexuality is not. So that's a m00t point.
Since we're on the topic, isn't banning prayer in school a form of discrimination?
No. America is secular = religion's place in public schools are restricted to RE lessons.
Why are jobs always looking for "hard-working" individuals? That's discrimination against the lazy. Why can't I play Playstation games on my Xbox?
This analogy lacks relevance.
If eHarmony was seriously unlawfully discriminating against homosexuals, then I want tacos, pizza, and hot dogs on the McDonald's dollar menu. Cause sometimes I want that stuff, but I'm unwilling to go to other restaurants to get it...
Yeah, that's a good argument. If the guy wanted to hook up with another guy, he could have easily gone to a gay dating site - surely that would be more suited to his wants?

Very sad, and a display of the homosexual agenda at work. :(
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

A couple days ago, I got a report on this written by Michelle Malkin. The report included $5000.00 to the guy who complained to E-Harmony and the various other concessions ( likely included in harth1026' link.)

Michelle suggested that heterosexuals and Christians should go to gay sites and demand a quality service be provided to them.

I don't think I want to, but it does sound reasonable.
Last edited by Cross.eyed on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

For awhile eharmony posted a FAQ about homosexual matches and they claimed that all of their reseachr had been focused on heterosexual couples and so therefore they didn't feel confident in providing the service to homosexuals.

They also were featured on Dobson for a couple of years and then Dobson pulled his suport out.

I'm disenchanted about the whole computer matching anyway....frustrated about guys out there in general....but that's another story :esurprised:

I could tell you a few stories about the gems out there that place "Christian" on their match profile.
y8-| y8-|
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

zoegirl wrote:I could tell you a few stories about the gems out there that place "Christian" on their match profile.
Men are like parking spots. All the good ones are taken and what's left is Handicapped.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Wow, hadn't heard that one....rather funny but quite depressing at the same time :lol: :cry:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

zoegirl wrote:Wow, hadn't heard that one....rather funny but quite depressing at the same time :lol: :cry:
Beware...it is also true.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

yes, that's the rather depressing thought...
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

This is the advice I give to women of a certain age who are looking for a mate: find a widower who had a good marriage; he's your best bet.

You might want to start reading the obituaries. :swoon:

Happy Thanksgiving anyway!

FL

+ + +

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Wow, this is getting worse and worse!!!!
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I did hear about this lawsuit as well... I don't think eharmony retaliated much because they didn't want to be labeled as homosexual haters.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Harry12345
Valued Member

Post by Harry12345 »

zoegirl wrote: I could tell you a few stories about the gems out there that place "Christian" on their match profile.
y8-| y8-|
I can only guess... y8-| :pound:
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.