Obama - what does this mean?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Post Reply
User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Obama - what does this mean?

#1

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:08 am

The walls between races and tribes; natives and immigrants; Christian and Muslim and Jew cannot stand. These now are the walls we must tear down," Senator Obama said, drawing cheers and applause.

(http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24075180-401,00.html)
Think about this statement.

What does it mean?

What ideals does it support?

Must we all agree with Obama's beliefs and those beliefs of people who are Muslim, Christian, Jew, of a particular race or culture must have their beliefs and differences torn down?

User avatar
Harry12345
Valued Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:12 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: The U.K.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#2

Post by Harry12345 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
The walls between races and tribes; natives and immigrants; Christian and Muslim and Jew cannot stand. These now are the walls we must tear down," Senator Obama said, drawing cheers and applause.

(http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24075180-401,00.html)
Think about this statement.

What does it mean?

What ideals does it support?

Must we all agree with Obama's beliefs and those beliefs of people who are Muslim, Christian, Jew, of a particular race or culture must have their beliefs and differences torn down?
Sounds like a good idea on paper...

... so did communism. ;)
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#3

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:48 pm

President-elect Obama's statement is noble from a humanist point of view. Most people will probably give it lip service and praise its author's good intentions. However, in the real world, the «walls» being broken down will most likely be those of the Christians and the Jews. Christians and Jews will be active and willing participants of this breaking down process.

Everybody knows that the Jews run the world! And evangelical Christians are their front-men. Get that stupid Christmas tree off your property, you hate-monger!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#4

Post by cslewislover » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:25 pm

In a way, I can't believe statements like these are still being made - and that there are people who applaud them. What walls is he talking about? The only walls can be strongly held beliefs, and those won't ever be torn down. What he needs to say is that we need to learn to respect the walls and the people behind them. "Good fences make for good neighbors." We're neighbors, we're not all one big happy family.
Image
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#5

Post by FFC » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:15 am

cslewislover wrote:In a way, I can't believe statements like these are still being made - and that there are people who applaud them. What walls is he talking about? The only walls can be strongly held beliefs, and those won't ever be torn down. What he needs to say is that we need to learn to respect the walls and the people behind them. "Good fences make for good neighbors." We're neighbors, we're not all one big happy family.
When I read it I felt like he was saying that.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?

User avatar
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:45 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Kentucky U.S.A.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#6

Post by Cross.eyed » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 am

Kurieuo wrote:
The walls between races and tribes; natives and immigrants; Christian and Muslim and Jew cannot stand. These now are the walls we must tear down," Senator Obama said, drawing cheers and applause.

(http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24075180-401,00.html)
Think about this statement.

What does it mean?

What ideals does it support?

Must we all agree with Obama's beliefs and those beliefs of people who are Muslim, Christian, Jew, of a particular race or culture must have their beliefs and differences torn down?
I have thought about this statement. The potential ramifications are many.

What it could mean is a unification of all peoples to live in harmony reguardless of race, religion, ethnic background, etc.
That would be a feel good way of looking at it.

Underneath, it could be tinged with socialism, an "all for one and one for all package."
Or it could a "sacrifice the few for the many" and I hope that's not it.

The ideals are supportive of TRUE communism, socialist state, and possibly a bit of Marxism and some of Christianity.


I'm sorry Kurieuo for being so ambiguous with an answer but I find past statements from Obama to be pretty much the same-vague.
It is a given that not all religous people are going to step outside of the main tennants of their faith, and that would stifle any type of "merger" of beliefs- ditto for culture as well. For me to say this brings more questions-too many to ask here at this time.


I can't tell if he is a uniter or a divider.
I am the wretch the song refers to.

Zebulon
Valued Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:48 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Quebec, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#7

Post by Zebulon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Barak in the Bible :

Hebrew 11:32 And what more do I say? For the time would fail me telling of Gideon, and Barak, and Samson, and Jephthah, and David and Samuel, and of the prophets:

Judges 4:6 She sent and summoned Barak the son of Abin'o-am from Kedesh in Naph'tali, and said to him, "The LORD, the God of Israel, commands you, 'Go, gather your men at Mount Tabor, taking ten thousand from the tribe of Naph'tali and the tribe of Zeb'ulun y>:D< .

4:7 And I will draw out Sis'era, the general of Jabin's army, to meet you by the river Kishon with his chariots and his troops; and I will give him into your hand.'"

4:8 Barak said to her, "If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go."

4:9 And she said, "I will surely go with you; nevertheless, the road on which you are going will not lead to your glory, for the LORD will sell Sis'era into the hand of a woman." Then Deb'orah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh.

4:10 And Barak summoned Zeb'ulun and Naph'tali to Kedesh; and ten thousand men went up at his heels; and Deb'orah went up with him.

4:11 Now Heber the Ken'ite had separated from the Ken'ites, the descendants of Hobab the father-in-law of Moses, and had pitched his tent as far away as the oak in Za-anan'nim, which is near Kedesh.

4:12 When Sis'era was told that Barak the son of Abin'o-am had gone up to Mount Tabor,

4:13 Sis'era called out all his chariots, nine hundred chariots of iron, and all the men who were with him, from Haro'sheth-ha-goiim to the river Kishon.

4:14 And Deb'orah said to Barak, "Up! For this is the day in which the LORD has given Sis'era into your hand. Does not the LORD go out before you?" So Barak went down from Mount Tabor with ten thousand men following him.

...etc.

Judges 5:1 Then sang Deb'orah and Barak the son of Abin'o-am on that day:

...etc.

Zebulon

User avatar
Harry12345
Valued Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:12 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: The U.K.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#8

Post by Harry12345 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Zebulon wrote:Barak in the Bible :

Hebrew 11:32 And what more do I say? For the time would fail me telling of Gideon, and Barak, and Samson, and Jephthah, and David and Samuel, and of the prophets:

Judges 4:6 She sent and summoned Barak the son of Abin'o-am from Kedesh in Naph'tali, and said to him, "The LORD, the God of Israel, commands you, 'Go, gather your men at Mount Tabor, taking ten thousand from the tribe of Naph'tali and the tribe of Zeb'ulun y>:D< .

4:7 And I will draw out Sis'era, the general of Jabin's army, to meet you by the river Kishon with his chariots and his troops; and I will give him into your hand.'"

4:8 Barak said to her, "If you will go with me, I will go; but if you will not go with me, I will not go."

4:9 And she said, "I will surely go with you; nevertheless, the road on which you are going will not lead to your glory, for the LORD will sell Sis'era into the hand of a woman." Then Deb'orah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh.

4:10 And Barak summoned Zeb'ulun and Naph'tali to Kedesh; and ten thousand men went up at his heels; and Deb'orah went up with him.

4:11 Now Heber the Ken'ite had separated from the Ken'ites, the descendants of Hobab the father-in-law of Moses, and had pitched his tent as far away as the oak in Za-anan'nim, which is near Kedesh.

4:12 When Sis'era was told that Barak the son of Abin'o-am had gone up to Mount Tabor,

4:13 Sis'era called out all his chariots, nine hundred chariots of iron, and all the men who were with him, from Haro'sheth-ha-goiim to the river Kishon.

4:14 And Deb'orah said to Barak, "Up! For this is the day in which the LORD has given Sis'era into your hand. Does not the LORD go out before you?" So Barak went down from Mount Tabor with ten thousand men following him.

...etc.

Judges 5:1 Then sang Deb'orah and Barak the son of Abin'o-am on that day:

...etc.

Zebulon
^I don't get it...
If you're born once, you die twice; but if you're born twice, you die once.

Zebulon
Valued Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:48 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Quebec, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#9

Post by Zebulon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Harry12345 wrote:I don't get it...
Don't worry, me neither. It is just that some people on another site asked if Barak Obama had anything to do with the Bible and they came up with his first name stated in the old testament. That's it!

But hey, here's a nice one for you...

Image

Cheers

Zebulon

brandiejenn
Acquainted Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#10

Post by brandiejenn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Obama is a motivational speaker. All thru-out history muslims and christians have fought for one reason or another. This man has no idea how to run this country or bring the American people together much less the world population. The man is on a spending spree at our expense that this country can not afford or that most of the people don't want. I have thought about him alot over the past few weeks since he has taken office. And in this time I have not heard one thing from him or his staff that I agree with. My Bible and My God tell me that I should support my Governing Authorities. Because God has given them the power to govern over us. It has weighed heavy on my heart what changes the Obama admin. will bring to our country for our children and grandchildern. God is the only one who knows why this man is in charge. I know that this is way above me. I have tried to let these things go and leave it in God's hands. I felt the same way when Jimmy Carter was elected and we as a country survived that. It has been said that Christians prosper the most when times are at there hardest. I suggest that as a christian family that we pray and pray somemore, Trust God and this too will pass. Keep the faith, read your Bible and Trust in God all Mighty.
Keep your Family close to you. Be prepared. Be very prepared.


Bill

P.S. Zebulon, I love the picture. Made me laugh out loud. Thanks

User avatar
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Posts: 5489
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 336 times
Contact:

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#11

Post by Jac3510 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
The walls between races and tribes; natives and immigrants; Christian and Muslim and Jew cannot stand. These now are the walls we must tear down," Senator Obama said, drawing cheers and applause.

(http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,24075180-401,00.html)
Think about this statement.

What does it mean?

What ideals does it support?

Must we all agree with Obama's beliefs and those beliefs of people who are Muslim, Christian, Jew, of a particular race or culture must have their beliefs and differences torn down?
You guys are all overreacting. It doesn't mean that we have to embrace Islam, or that Americans should embrace illegal immig--sorry, undocumented aliens. No, no, no. It means that everybody has to quit fighting and agree with the Mess--er, Obama! Just agree and let him have his way so that he can make abortion on demand even easier to get.

I mean, when I got mad because my tax dollars are no going to help murder children in third world countries, I'm just being divisive. I should tear down my walls. I have seen the light. Come on, everybody!

FOCA!
YES WE CAN!
FOCA!
YES WE CAN!
FOCA!
YES WE CAN!

. . .

;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.

User avatar
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Southern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#12

Post by ageofknowledge » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:43 am

In my understanding what it means is that Obama is for religious pluralism. Surf to whitehouse.gov, click on The Agenda, and then click Additional Issues and read the section on Faith which states:

"In June of 2006, then-Senator Obama delivered what was called the most important speech on religion and politics in 40 years. Speaking before an evangelical audience, then-Senator Obama candidly discussed his own religious conversion and doubts, and the need for a deeper, more substantive discussion about the role of faith in American life.

Senator Obama also laid down principles for how to discuss faith in a pluralistic society, including the need for religious people to translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values during public debate. In December 2006, President Obama discussed the importance of faith in the global battle against AIDS."

The Federal Government, under Obama, plans on mettling with our freedom of religion pushing the country toward religious pluralism. Christians who resist will be discriminated against at some point in the future I imagine for retaining their "absolutism."

User avatar
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3295
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:55 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Lower Canuckistan
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#13

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Jac3510 wrote:You guys are all overreacting. It doesn't mean that we have to embrace Islam, or that Americans should embrace illegal immig--sorry, undocumented aliens. No, no, no. It means that everybody has to quit fighting and agree with the Mess--er, Obama! Just agree and let him have his way so that he can make abortion on demand even easier to get.I mean, when I got mad because my tax dollars are no going to help murder children in third world countries, I'm just being divisive. I should tear down my walls. I have seen the light. Come on, everybody!FOCA!YES WE CAN!FOCA!YES WE CAN!FOCA!YES WE CAN!
Well...I am happy to report that the Great Prophet Obama is now on a Haj to Canada! (Was he not busy enough to stay home?)

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 648 times
Been liked: 665 times

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#14

Post by Kurieuo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 am

Jac3510 wrote:I mean, when I got mad because my tax dollars are no going to help murder children in third world countries, I'm just being divisive. I should tear down my walls. I have seen the light. Come on, everybody!
Meh... and then there was a move in Australia for us to do the same thing [give tax dollars to murder babies in third world countries]. It really sickens me and makes me wonder at times why God even bothers with us. I'd just want to bring it all to an end now if I were Him. Who can understand the patience and grace He demonstrates?

User avatar
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:45 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Kentucky U.S.A.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Obama - what does this mean?

#15

Post by Cross.eyed » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Kurieuo wrote:Meh... and then there was a move in Australia for us to do the same thing [give tax dollars to murder babies in third world countries]. It really sickens me and makes me wonder at times why God even bothers with us. I'd just want to bring it all to an end now if I were Him. Who can understand the patience and grace He demonstrates?
Noone.

Like you and many others it makes me sick just to think about it.
Here in the U.S., If given the opportunity, I think the majority would vote to do away with using our tax dollars to fund abortion but thats not gonna happen anyways soon.

It is a shame when those in office disregard the will of the people even to the point of murder for their own agenda of getting reelected.

You may remember another thread where we discussed abortion and I asked the question;
How did Scott Peterson get the death penality for murder in the death of his unborn son, and yet we have a law that allows the murders of the unborn everyday to be legal???

Maybe you could enlighten me on this.

Now I feel sick.
I am the wretch the song refers to.

Post Reply