Presidential Election

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
psr6782
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Presidential Election

Post by psr6782 »

I am curious as to what are everyone's feelings with the upcoming election, and since i didn't see a post anywhere else about it, I figured I'd start one.
Now, there will be varying opinions, some voting for Obama, others for McCain, but please, lets try and keep it civilized in here (much unlike the race itself).

Mainly, I'm curious as to why people feel the way they do about the candidates. If you're not comfortable discussing who you're voting for or something you don't have to respond or could just list what you like and dislike about the candidates. So, with that said, lets get it on!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Presidential Election

Post by Kurieuo »

I am not in the US, however I could never support someone who supported the taking of human life, and even someone complacent on infanticide:
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Nz ... A5YjBkZTE=

This would be enough to swing my vote against, however, I wouldn't really want the alternative running my country if I were a US citizen either.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kurieuo wrote:I am not in the US, however I could never support someone who supported the taking of human life, and even someone complacent on infanticide:
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Nz ... A5YjBkZTE=

This would be enough to swing my vote against, however, I wouldn't really want the alternative running my country if I were a US citizen either.
I hope I'm wrong but all indications are that Obama is the next president. God help us.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Joshua
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Joshua »

I hope you're wrong too Bylos. While not exactly what I want in a leader McCain is better than Obama. Too bad Huckabee isn't still in it.
The Christian Life is about relationships, not performance.
psr6782
Acquainted Member

Post by psr6782 »

Is it just the issue of abortion that turns you towards McCain?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

psr6782 wrote:Is it just the issue of abortion that turns you towards McCain?
If you're asking me the answer is no (although abortion would be at the top).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Joshua
Acquainted Member

Post by Joshua »

No. While that is one big issue for me...same-sex marriage or civil unions is another big one with me. I also have a problem with how he plans to deal with economic issues that effect me.
Daniel
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Daniel »

http://www.matthew25.org/paf/index.htm

The idea that Obama supports throwing away children who have survived abortion is simply not true. Check the above link out. As Christians, we need to make sure our testimony is true. I feel bad because initially I did spread the smear that he supports infanticide, doing so in ignorance.

Also, check out http://www.prolifeproobama.com. I'm pro-life and I'm voting Obama. Abortions went down under Clinton, and
Joshua
Acquainted Member

Post by Joshua »

Check out this link from CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/16/warren.forum/

Note Obama said that although he's pro-choice and supports Roe v. Wade, his goal is to reduce the number of abortions in America.

I'll concede he doesn't want to throw away babies, but pro-choice means support for murder to me.
Daniel
Recognized Member

Post by Daniel »

I think that he means that he wants to support policies that will overall reduce the number of abortions by getting at the overall socioeconomic factors that lead to abortion such as directly reducing poverty, but as someone who is pro-choice, he would not support judges who would overturn Roe v. Wade. For instance, abortions went down under Clinton as these conditions were addressed.

This is kind of why I feel like neither party is truly pro-life. The Democrats might better address the conditions of poverty, but judicially, they are certainly not pro-life. The Republicans, on the other hand, profit from saying they're pro life based on judges but don't seem to care about why there are abortions in the first place. (The Republicans blocked a proposal called the 90/10 law that a pro-life Democrat proposed a few years ago that aimed to reduce abortions by 90% in the next few years... partisanship trumps everything.)

It's kind of a lose lose situation. As Christians, we need to realize that regardless of who gets elected, abortion is going to be here to stay in our society for a long time to come, that there are still going to be millions of unborn children killed, and that we need to reach out to the mothers in love, many of whom (most?) are unsaved. Also, there are alternatives to abortion that so many excellent Christian charities support, and we can support those with our prayers and our money.
psr6782
Acquainted Member

Post by psr6782 »

For me, I have come to realize that no President has the ability to get rid of abortion, they may be for or against it but I don't see how they can stop it. For me I have come to support Obama for various reasons.
1) McCain has turned this election into a smear campaign. Months ago he wanted an "honorable campaign" and since the economy has tanked due to the deregulation that McCain was an advocate of.
2) Since I am pro-life, but pro-life should include more than just abortion. Where do the candidates stand on the death penalty, or war, etc. I cannot stand people that claim to be pro-life but support the death penalty, it's the apex of hypocrysy because regardless of how much we may not like, not every person that ends up on death row is guilty.
3) I simply trust Obama more, he speaks about the issues and what he says makes sense.

This is tough for me, as a conservative, but frankly I do not think this country can take even 4 more years of a Republican administration.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

psr6782 wrote:3) I simply trust Obama more, he speaks about the issues and what he says makes sense.
lol...people get so duped every time...will we never learn that they all just talk about the things you want to hear and then do next to nothing they promised? LOL...keep wishing.
Daniel
Recognized Member

Post by Daniel »

It's not totally unprecedented for us to have had an overall honest, transparent president. However, Carter's policies did not go over well with the public.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Is it just the issue of taking innocent human life that turns me towards McCain? There are other issues, but for me this is a big one, not a "just".

I could not vote for such a person and feel it is only right, and enough justification in and of itself, for a person to vote based on their moral conscience and what they believe is extremely wrong and evil.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

psr6782 wrote:2) Since I am pro-life, but pro-life should include more than just abortion. Where do the candidates stand on the death penalty, or war, etc. I cannot stand people that claim to be pro-life but support the death penalty, it's the apex of hypocrysy because regardless of how much we may not like, not every person that ends up on death row is guilty.
This should be a thread all of its own and I believe has been discussed in the past.

The taking of innocent human life is quite different to that of applying a punishment that is fair and just. Have you not heard the saying "eye for eye, tooth for tooth"? Regarding the death penalty, it is a fair and just punishment that life be paid for life. Both are equal. Whether it can be rightly meted out by the law is another question, and where I would be anti-death penalty.