Homelessness being criminalized

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Homelessness being criminalized

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Now I wonder what Jesus has to say about this....esp concerning since most all of us could be homeless due to a bunch of reasons
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Homelessness being criminalized

Post by Stu »

You aren't even allowed to feed the homeless in certain towns in the USA. How inhumane.
I hope the person who made that law loses their job and becomes homeless, see how they like it.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

What is wrong is to have laws and policies that perpetuate homelessness. Often people find themselves homeless due to uncontrollable circumstances - and most of those want to climb out of it. Others don't want to do what it takes to escape it, or they continue practices or habits that keep them there. And a ton of them are mentally ill. I find that many people don't understand mental illness. My bipolar friend - just one man, mind you - has terribly impacted his entire family and others with his illness. States don't fund mental illness nearly like they should - which is a disgrace.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Or just even being down on your luck and say having to stay under a bridge to keep safe if you're traveling. Just minding your business, nothing bad, just staying there. No, that's illegal too. And seeing how from my experience a lot of ppl r flaky n stuff, well it pees me off that people have to so pathetic.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Philip wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:54 am What is wrong is to have laws and policies that perpetuate homelessness. Often people find themselves homeless due to uncontrollable circumstances - and most of those want to climb out of it. Others don't want to do what it takes to escape it, or they continue practices or habits that keep them there. And a ton of them are mentally ill. I find that many people don't understand mental illness. My bipolar friend - just one man, mind you - has terribly impacted his entire family and others with his illness. States don't fund mental illness nearly like they should - which is a disgrace.
I would have to agree with this.

I've disobeyed Christs teachings on homelessness. I don't give them money anymore. If I know someone needs it and it's legit I will help. But that is no excuse. I don't know where the money is going. If I see someone mentally ill I will give them money first. I just haven't in a while. I feel like a bad person. I have it so good. And they have it so bad. :(
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:42 am Or just even being down on your luck and say having to stay under a bridge to keep safe if you're traveling. Just minding your business, nothing bad, just staying there. No, that's illegal too. And seeing how from my experience a lot of ppl r flaky n stuff, well it pees me off that people have to so pathetic.
They are easy pickings for police arrest quota's.

As I've gotten older I've realized police are being used as a way to keep people economically down and out. Especially the poor. They get hit hardest.

I am white and was pulled over a few weeks ago in the all white rich part of town for a "dim license plate light". I had a handgun in the center consol with no permit and a tobacco pipe in the car.

I've never been arrested before. But a handgun is a felony here. 1-5 years prison. That would be a death sentence for my business and possibly myself (I would be raped or killed or end my life with dignity to avoid being raped) simply for exercising what I believe is a God given right and a Constitutional 2nd right.

He could've used the tobacco pipe as an excuse to search the car. Thank God he didn't. I will need to be more careful in the future. The cop just wanted to see who I was and if I had friends or family in the area. Basically why was I there. He just let me go with no ticket. Had I been homeless walking in the park; I would have been cited or arrested for "prowling" or "loitering" for sure.

My cousin is mentally ill but harmless. Yet the cops would arrest him just for walking down the street. He was arrested many times. Someone would call the cops just because of his behavior or that he made them uneasy. Then arrest him for trespassing when no complaint was made by the property owner, or they would escalate the situation then arrest him for resisting. loitering, prowling. One time it was "resisting arrest without violence". I found out this is an actual charge in the USA. The police arrest you for "resisting arrest without violence" and when you ask why you're being arrested they repeat this charge. Your being arrested for nothing. Basically.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Social justice is not a political plight nor is it religious. It’s decency and compassion.
The vast majority of homeless have a mental illness. Those stats are irrefutable. The same in the US and in Australia.
The most vulnerable of people are the most in harms way. In every way possible. They are mis-diagnosed due to a failing system, even when diagnosed they are not forwarded on to the necessary healthcare facilities because they don’t exist and the waiting lists to even access what’s available to a person in dire need is not even close to sufficient.
They are left in ruin.
The available resources to a mentally unstable person is sparing.
When they snap then everyone jumps onboard as to why they acted so extreme. Paranoid, delusional people don’t act normal. Ever.
We as a society have a responsibility to protect people even from themselves. To do so we need to have both empathy and policies in place to ensure that help is readily available. An active and funded mental health innovative that actually helps.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Problem: mental illness

Solution: free, govt funded lobotomies
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 am Problem: mental illness

Solution: free, govt funded lobotomies
Ohh let’s start with the bottom of the barrel. Anyone suggesting such should be first in line lol
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

Any thoughts on solutions to the problems of poverty, drug addiction, lack of mental health care, and homelessness?
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Social justice that incorporates policies.
That starts at the grass roots.
Equal healthcare and education regardless of income. Government subsidised rehab.
Policies that focus on extra funding for schools that are flagged as needed and the staff to facilitate it.
Get to them when they’re young. Kids want to succeed they’re just not given the opportunity.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Whatever, commie. How about a free market solution...?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:57 pm Whatever, commie. How about a free market solution...?
Now you're catching on!
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Catching on? Hardly. I've been sarcastic for years.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:06 pm Catching on? Hardly. I've been sarcastic for years.
But you can't recognize sarcasm. My post was sarcasm. :lol:

-Edward R Murrow