Christianity and aliens...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

I'm not sure about that j316. As much as there are differences across the universe, there are many similarities too. Stars are all basically the same, and i think we'll eventually show that so are planets in general. Rocks

That's not to say that there doesn't exist extremely different forms of life... But so far it would seem rational (whether life evolved or was created for that matter) that life would require DNA and the basic functionalities that life on Earth has in order to grow and reproduce.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:I was under the impression that us being in God's image was a spiritual thing...
It is. But, in order to be sentient, you would have to be made in God's image(theoretically). And some people think that the gift God gave us, being made in God's image, would be less special if there were others(aliens) with that gift.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote:
Mastermind wrote:I was under the impression that us being in God's image was a spiritual thing...
It is. But, in order to be sentient, you would have to be made in God's image(theoretically). And some people think that the gift God gave us, being made in God's image, would be less special if there were others(aliens) with that gift.
In that case, perhaps that parable with the two sets of workers who got paid the same would come in handy.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
CountryBoy
Established Member

Post by CountryBoy »

I just read this book by Gary Bates called Alien Intrusion. I thouroughly enjoyed it. It shows scientifically how aliens in our universe would have to adhere to our laws (gravity/speed of light, etc). Gary has done much research on the UFO phenomenon, going to conferences, interviewing abductees etc, and concludes that the evidence cannot be ignored although aliens can't be the answer, neither are these people ALL crazy. His answer was that fallen angels (demons) have always been trying to decieve us in ways that lead us away from Christ. The Alien message is constatntly leading people away from Christ and towards different lies, like "We will help the human race evolve into" whatever. Jesus was one of the earthlings that reached the nirvana state, etc.
Worth a read.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

CountryBoy wrote:Gary has done much research on the UFO phenomenon, going to conferences, interviewing abductees etc, and concludes that the evidence cannot be ignored although aliens can't be the answer, neither are these people ALL crazy. His answer was that fallen angels (demons) have always been trying to decieve us in ways that lead us away from Christ. The Alien message is constatntly leading people away from Christ and towards different lies, like "We will help the human race evolve into" whatever.
That's my exact view on the matter. Maybe I'll have to give it a read. Thanks CB.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Mastermind wrote:
voicingmaster wrote:
In that case, perhaps that parable with the two sets of workers who got paid the same would come in handy.
The one that Jesus told where a man went out and hired workers at different times and gave them all the same amount of money? If so, how would that be handy for aliens?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

The point of that parable is that God grants His gifts to whoever He wishes and we should be satisfied with what He has. That includes souls made in His image.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Well actually, there are many points that can be drawn to it, I only outlined the one I felt was relevant to this issue.
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

Felgar wrote:
The edge wrote:God forgive me...

but I've this thot that God will return in a form that's "Alien-like".
Why else would pple still hide in caves & rock & rather die than to meet the returning Christ.
...I know....some say it's because of their hardened hearts....but just as Christ came in a form that's not recognizable to the Jews despite the prophecy, He may returned in a form that's not recognizable to Christian too.
Quickly before I head to bed... I believe that everyone will know when Christ returns. All will hear the trumpet, and Jesus will split the mount of olives... Kinda hard to misinterpret that.

When people are deceived is during the time when the anti-christ reigns; they are incapable of recognizing him as evil because they are deceived. Really the only ones who would be able to recognize the anti-christ are those who are made aware by the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of Truth).

Was just thinking, when the trumpet sound, Christian will be telling their fellow men that Christ is returning, but yet, when the form taken by Christ & the mode of travel (chariots) is not exactly as what is being protrayed literally by John, people will go into a panic....maybe Christian too..except that we'll be caught up in the air (beam me up scotty).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hey all. First timer here. Just found this site and am impressed. I look forward to posting here often!

I am running short on time, so I will make this brief. On this subject, I highly recommend Hugh Ross' book Lights in the Sky and Little Green Men. Now, I have a very limited science background. This I readily admit. However, I have no idea how after reading this book anyone could come away from it with the idea that aliens really exist. He does a good job, in my estimation, destroying the worm whole hypothesis and the believe that warp speed exists. He concludes with the believe that "aliens" are actually demons. After reading this book, I don't know if I could possibly fathom another conclusion.

Anyone here read it?

Check out Ross' website at http://www.reasons.org. He seems to be a very intelligent, highly reliable astrophysicist.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I'm sure he can't come up of a way for them to travel here with our current knowledge, but I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with Mr. Ross. The Wright(sp?) brothers had their invention rejected despite dozens of testimonies affirming it simply because scientists believed that something heavier than air cannot fly(I'm wondering how they explained birds but that's another story).
Phoenix
Familiar Member

Post by Phoenix »

Well, I am a Christian and the only other "life" out there besides us is the spiritual realm. At least that's what I believe. I don't believe aliens have ever visited this earth. I am open minded though, if one day we find life, primitive or otherwise I'm fine with it.

Don't know the exact verse but basically it's about the new heaven and earth. Something to the extent of there will be no more sun, moon, or stars. If that is the case, and there will be no more stars (galaxies, planets, etc) then God destroys other life out there?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

God remakes the entire universe from what I gather. I believe John says something about a NEW earth, so this Earth will likely get destroyed in the process.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

apologetics wrote:On this subject, I highly recommend Hugh Ross' book Lights in the Sky and Little Green Men....

Anyone here read it?
Yes, and I'd recommend it to all as well. You should read the book Mastermind before ruling out Ross' position. ;)

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I don't read much nowadays. And I still have to get to the blind watchmaker.