Is Gambling a Sin ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Blessed
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is Gambling a Sin ?

Post by Blessed »

I want to bet $7,000.00 cash that Conor Mcgregor is going to lose on October 6th.

I can afford to lose the money. But I won't. I am going to win. This is capitalism. It is my choice.

Am I sinning?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is Gambling a Sin ?

Post by Philip »

I would say a bet with very great odds of succeeding isn't wrong, except that some who can't afford to lose any money will be paying for your win. Also, it's a question of whether one has the money to lose or doesn't negatively impact yourself or others - or that it couldn't go for something positive without risk. And is one's motive to receive quick and basically unearned riches? But many things have risk in life, that one gambles on they are taking the correct course.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:13 pm I want to bet $7,000.00 cash that Conor Mcgregor is going to lose on October 6th.

I can afford to lose the money. But I won't. I am going to win. This is capitalism. It is my choice.

Am I sinning?
I may be in the minority here, with the opinion that gambling isn't necessarily a sin. I think it depends on the individual.

Are you sinning?

Only you can answer that.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

Philip wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:23 pm I would say a bet with very great odds of succeeding isn't wrong, except that some who can't afford to lose any money will be paying for your win. Also, it's a question of whether one has the money to lose or doesn't negatively impact yourself or others - or that it couldn't go for something positive without risk. And is one's motive to receive quick and basically unearned riches? But many things have risk in life, that one gambles on they are taking the correct course.
You are correct when you say that someone who can't afford to lose money will be paying for my win. Assuming I win. The fix could be in. However the guy he is fighting is a devout Muslim and does not drink.

It does not make me feel good I'm getting the money from losers. But I am thinking you could say that same about allot of things.

I want to gamble. Yet it doesn't "feel right". It's not specifically mentioned in the Bible. However I asked the Lord if gambling was a sin and - this is 100% true so help me God - the in Las Vegas wind blew a page from the bible up to my feet. So it seems I already have my answer.

Yet I want to do what I want regardless. :( This is what is bothering me. I asked. I received (a page of the bible in the wind) and now I keep asking for something more specific. Because it's bothering me.

I guess that means I should not gamble. But it's fun and I want to. :|
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Blessed: I guess that means I should not gamble. But it's fun and I want to. :|
Ah, that last part - the universal mentality of every gambling addict!
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Try playing Christ-Bet.

'Gambling the good old Christian way'

Step 1. Give the money to the poor.
Step 2. $7K out of your pocket can become an equivalent of $70K to a poor person.
Step 3. Reap what you sow :-)

It's believed to have a 100% odds on winning too !
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
mrtzur2015
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mrtzur2015 »

I think everything was created for Gods glory.
It all depends in your heart when you go and use these things.
I think in the case of gambling the question would be if you can afford to lose, would be the right move being Gods stewards for his money.. because nothing is really ours it’s all his to begin with. And also weather you believe in luck or not.