Domestic Abuse

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Domestic Abuse

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I can't understand how some Christians think it's okay for domestic abuse victims to stay with their abusers. I do believe people can change but shouldn't people being abused leave for safety? I mean is divorce really a sin if a person is abused
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Domestic Abuse

Post by B. W. »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm I can't understand how some Christians think it's okay for domestic abuse victims to stay with their abusers. I do believe people can change but shouldn't people being abused leave for safety? I mean is divorce really a sin if a person is abused
I do not know of any who say it is okay to stay - haven't heard of anyone saying it either.

Probably a few folks that do are out there so please let's not accuse every Christian of approving...

Blessings
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

So here is the thing.
Many view the comment by Jesus that divorce is only permissible due to adultery as some statement that ONLY when a spouse cheats on another can they be divorced in the eyes of God.
So, even abuse would not justify divorce.

The issue is how adultery is used in the bible and it is NOT just about PHYSICAL cheating by spiritual cheating as well and that means that, when a spouse BETRAYS their spouse in a physical OR spiritual way, that is adultery AND that extend to physical abuse since that is a betrayal of the trust and commitment made between spouses, under God.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

UsagiTsukino wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm I can't understand how some Christians think it's okay for domestic abuse victims to stay with their abusers. I do believe people can change but shouldn't people being abused leave for safety? I mean is divorce really a sin if a person is abused
I'll just say I'm Christian and think it is okay. Not just okay, but domestic violence is a good thing! So soo great... I'm always wondering where your unsupported and baseless statements come from, so just thought I'd lend you a hand.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

I was going to start a new thread but might as well post this here. Where do you think the stereotype comes from about wives being the moody, bossy ones in relationships? Is it a sexual thing where the man doesn't want to be in the doghouse and miss out on marital activities? Or is it something more sinister, in that since men are usually physically stronger it could be dangerous if they were the moody and overbearing ones? Of course this last one only gives a reason for the stereotype, not for the actual behaviour. I don't know how true-to-life said stereotype is in general, just that people often joke about it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nicki wrote:
Where do you think the stereotype comes from about wives being the moody, bossy ones in relationships?
From Melanie?

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Tell the truth, Rick - somehow she's met your wife!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 am Tell the truth, Rick - somehow she's met your wife!
My wife knows her place is in the kitchen.

She's a good wife. She does what she's told.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony