How can we tell if there is a ghost or if it's a trick (like a bad angel or imagination)?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: How can we tell if there is a ghost or if it's a trick (like a bad angel or imagination)?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

You might want to read this: I wrote this. Not sure what to make of it but those kids were interested in some paranormal stuff though it seemed they never messed with real occultic stuff like Ouija boards.
TruthSeeker035
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: How can we tell if there is a ghost or if it's a trick (like a bad angel or imagination)?

Post by TruthSeeker035 »

My first recollection of paranormal was when I was 2 years old. We lived in a make shift duplex apartment. We had a living room, a sleeping room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The sleeping room was probably originally built as a dining room. It was sandwiched between the living room and kitchen. My bed was closest to the kitchen facing the doorway. My parents bed was on the opposite side of the rectangle shaped room. On several occasions I would see two beings or entities appear from behind the refrigerator which was just inside the doorway to the right. They would take satisfaction in shaking my twin size roll away bed laughing and watching me run across the room in fear to jump n hide between my parents. Another major encounter was when I was around 11 years old living in a different location. This happened in the dead of summer, end of July or beginning of August. It was very hot outside. This night i was awakened to see a black cloaked shadow person with red beady eyes in my room. It came just short of the ceiling in height. It was big. However this being had the ability to make the entire room cold freezing cold. I freaked out screaming in fear, So loud my parents could hear me in their bedroom downstairs. Nothing they did could get them to me. The force was too strong. They could not get up the stairs of their own will. In the end they ended up urgently calling a catholic priest. Now keep in mind we were a Salvation Army family attending a local Baptist church so this to me was mind blowing after the fact. Research says that these beings with red eyes are demonic. I would also see cowboy skeleton people in the hallway in the middle of the night. They would disappear after being seen. There were other things that would happen as well such as doors opening by themselves, cupboards and pans clanging in the middle of the night. Also things trying to grab u from underneath my sisters beds in the middle of the night. On one occasion both me and my sister heard our full names called out separate of each other in our mothers voice, in other words i heard my own name called but not hers at the same time. She heard hers first. She was already on the stair's landing when i got there. I said u heard your name called too ? She affirmed that to be true. There was nobody there tho. I have never been a part of the occult. My mother however did claim to have connections to witchcraft. So this is my experience on this. To me its very real.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Your mother’s involvement in the occult may explain this.
Blessed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Blessed »

Philip wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:01 pm Blessed, I don't know what to think about this. But if you didn't imagine it - and I have no reason to believe that - then it was demonic. It sounds like the entity was trying to intimidate and scare you. But there are NO ghosts. There is mortal life, departed saints (no longer walking the earth), apparently good / non-fallen angels, and there are demons here. Of course the demonic would love for us to believe in ghosts - thus all the stories of ghosts appearing wearing clothes from another era, etc.

My only other thought would be whether someone on the ship or close to you might have been involved in any occult practices - which is a known gateway to such experiences - common as well to supposed "alien" encounters. Whatever this was, it wasn't good and it wasn't what it was seeking to appear as. I've heard many such stories. There is no truth to be learned from it, other than there is a spiritual reality around us that we are mostly unaware of. And I still am suspicious of most such stories - with some real and many fabricated (not saying you did this). My brother has worked with the state in mental health for over 30 years. He has told me that a Christian security guy he knows well - and trusts - has said that there have been many strange things long heard and seen (for many years) in a particular old area of a long-abandoned 19th century mental ward - always at night. Had a friend who said a long-time deacon in his church was working after hours and clearly saw what appeared to be a deceased member of his church in the choir loft - a real non-nonsense, serious guy - shook him up badly! Bottom line, the demonic wants us to believe in some in-between world of spirits that are departed mortals. Which is why some foolishly try to communicate with these demonic entities. But they have no power over Christians.
I am hoping it was not demonic or evil. It felt like it's intent was to amuse itself. I can't understand why something demonic or evil would hang out in an old ship, pool, abandoned hospital, hotel, old house etc. just to get a kick out of scaring people for fun. I don't see anywhere in the bible where ghosts are specifically rejected. I also don't see where an astral plane or middle ground is rejected. I mostly convinced it was not a ghost, but sort of hoping it was.

I am not involved in any occult practices and my parents are saints. My Grandma had psychic abilities but these were not anything she asked for or wanted. Images just came to her and it was not her fault. These diminished over time as she followed Jesus. She is dead now. Nobody else I know of. If I am doing something occultish I am not aware of it. All I did was frequent the ship. And I have a list of extensive paranormal (some could be coincidences) things that happened to me - all limited to this same GPS location.

I do like to "clear my mind" and try to see things for what they are. Or just keep an open mind and be aware and open. I don't know if this is occultish or not. It's something that has served me well when feeling people out and allowing me to avoid those who feel "bad" or working an angle or hussle against me. Sort of like a working intuition. I can't see how that would be occultish. It's diminishing over time as I get older .
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

TruthSeeker035 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm My first recollection of paranormal was when I was 2 years old. We lived in a make shift duplex apartment. We had a living room, a sleeping room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The sleeping room was probably originally built as a dining room. It was sandwiched between the living room and kitchen. My bed was closest to the kitchen facing the doorway. My parents bed was on the opposite side of the rectangle shaped room. On several occasions I would see two beings or entities appear from behind the refrigerator which was just inside the doorway to the right. They would take satisfaction in shaking my twin size roll away bed laughing and watching me run across the room in fear to jump n hide between my parents. Another major encounter was when I was around 11 years old living in a different location. This happened in the dead of summer, end of July or beginning of August. It was very hot outside. This night i was awakened to see a black cloaked shadow person with red beady eyes in my room. It came just short of the ceiling in height. It was big. However this being had the ability to make the entire room cold freezing cold. I freaked out screaming in fear, So loud my parents could hear me in their bedroom downstairs. Nothing they did could get them to me. The force was too strong. They could not get up the stairs of their own will. In the end they ended up urgently calling a catholic priest. Now keep in mind we were a Salvation Army family attending a local Baptist church so this to me was mind blowing after the fact. Research says that these beings with red eyes are demonic. I would also see cowboy skeleton people in the hallway in the middle of the night. They would disappear after being seen. There were other things that would happen as well such as doors opening by themselves, cupboards and pans clanging in the middle of the night. Also things trying to grab u from underneath my sisters beds in the middle of the night. On one occasion both me and my sister heard our full names called out separate of each other in our mothers voice, in other words i heard my own name called but not hers at the same time. She heard hers first. She was already on the stair's landing when i got there. I said u heard your name called too ? She affirmed that to be true. There was nobody there tho. I have never been a part of the occult. My mother however did claim to have connections to witchcraft. So this is my experience on this. To me its very real.

Did you research the house to find out it's history? Did the house have a basement?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Blessed: I don't see anywhere in the bible where ghosts are specifically rejected. I also don't see where an astral plane or middle ground is rejected.
The Bible ONLY mentions the following life forms besides God: Angels / fallen angels (demons), Satan, humans, animals, and plants. And of these, in Scripture, only Moses and Elijah (saved saints) briefly appeared alongside Jesus at the Mount of Transfiguration - a special occasion where they were used by God and clearly identifiable (not ghosts or apparitions). The Bible doesn't tell us that elephants used to be pink and flew either - so one could endlessly speculate about ghosts but the entire Bible says otherwise.

And so, what are ghosts widely considered to be? Departed humans that are in another dimension (not in Heaven or hell), but are supposed to be able to interact with humans on earth. They are also widely believed to have special knowledge that we don't. But the Bible says we die once and immediately are either in the arms of the Lord or are with those awaiting judgement and eternal punishment. The Bible teaches that there are no deceased humans roaming earth! It's an occultist view. Matter of fact, we are strictly warned to avoid trying to communicate with the dead or demons - which is what these things really are.
Blessed: And I have a list of extensive paranormal (some could be coincidences) things that happened to me - all limited to this same GPS location.
Then I would say you are obsessed with things almost certainly demonic - which is the origin of the paranormal. And, of course, the demonic desires to fool, distract, obsess, scare, delude - all of these things, as they are never what they seem. Many people who are convinced they are in contact with aliens are also into the paranormal. The paranormal is the realm of the demonic. Stay away, don't be intrigued, etc. And if the demonic can not fool you in whatever ways, they can simply keep your focus away from God and seeking the things of Christ.

Blessed, you should read this book!

The Truth Behind Ghosts, Mediums, and Psychic Phenomena Paperback – September 1, 2006 by Ron Rhodes
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

Phillip,

Ok. I will read the book.

I don't want to be obsessed with this. But I cannot stop thinking about it. Last time I was there was in May 2017. I am fighting a strong urge to go back. It talked to me in the room and something prevented it from speaking to me by waiving a large wobbly 2x4 board or something up and down distorting what it was saying to me. When I was checking out - it asked me to "come back". As clear as someone in the room. I kept quiet and pretended not to hear it. Again it said "come back". I responded with "come back?" And then it said "YES". It had an "amusement" tone in it's raspy voice. Here is the voice which spoke at me. The voice tone is identical.

https://spiritedqueenmary.com/evidencespotlight/

It told this women to "get out" but it told me to "come back". It is the same identical voice. I did NOT request to stay in this room. I googled the room number after the encounter and got this website saying it was the ghost of Captain Stark. I was absolutely shocked. I know most people reading this are saying "yea yea right" "BS" "He's a liar" "he read this before" "he's making it up" "he hallucinated" etc. NO. I am not making this up. I have no motive. I would have said the same thing had I never experienced this though.

I just don't see why it would be harmful to merely converse with it. Assuming I went back.

Also ... at some point .. I am thinking it told me to go to a honey bee farm in Florida. I am not sure why. But it's a 3 hour drive from where I stay when I'm in Florida. I looked it up online. The guy who owns the farm is in his early 90's. I want to drive there and I keep thinking what could be there etc.
TruthSeeker035
Newbie Member

Post by TruthSeeker035 »

Blessed wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:17 pm
TruthSeeker035 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm My first recollection of paranormal was when I was 2 years old. We lived in a make shift duplex apartment. We had a living room, a sleeping room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The sleeping room was probably originally built as a dining room. It was sandwiched between the living room and kitchen. My bed was closest to the kitchen facing the doorway. My parents bed was on the opposite side of the rectangle shaped room. On several occasions I would see two beings or entities appear from behind the refrigerator which was just inside the doorway to the right. They would take satisfaction in shaking my twin size roll away bed laughing and watching me run across the room in fear to jump n hide between my parents. Another major encounter was when I was around 11 years old living in a different location. This happened in the dead of summer, end of July or beginning of August. It was very hot outside. This night i was awakened to see a black cloaked shadow person with red beady eyes in my room. It came just short of the ceiling in height. It was big. However this being had the ability to make the entire room cold freezing cold. I freaked out screaming in fear, So loud my parents could hear me in their bedroom downstairs. Nothing they did could get them to me. The force was too strong. They could not get up the stairs of their own will. In the end they ended up urgently calling a catholic priest. Now keep in mind we were a Salvation Army family attending a local Baptist church so this to me was mind blowing after the fact. Research says that these beings with red eyes are demonic. I would also see cowboy skeleton people in the hallway in the middle of the night. They would disappear after being seen. There were other things that would happen as well such as doors opening by themselves, cupboards and pans clanging in the middle of the night. Also things trying to grab u from underneath my sisters beds in the middle of the night. On one occasion both me and my sister heard our full names called out separate of each other in our mothers voice, in other words i heard my own name called but not hers at the same time. She heard hers first. She was already on the stair's landing when i got there. I said u heard your name called too ? She affirmed that to be true. There was nobody there tho. I have never been a part of the occult. My mother however did claim to have connections to witchcraft. So this is my experience on this. To me its very real.

Did you research the house to find out it's history? Did the house have a basement?
I had heard rumored that the place we lived (A townhouse community with senior living in the front.) was built on a Native American burial ground. How much truth was in that I'm not sure but no basement. My whole town where I grew up has a lot ghost stories.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

I came across this out of curiosity due to Sameul and some other stuff.
One half sis of mine (shes 42) was into that crap when she was young. Still is more interested in dark stuff anyhow. Her mom (whom my dad could not get along with and was abused by) said she'd put a curse on my dad as well. Dad didn't pay it mind, and we shouldn't either, though I was threatened to be hexed by some bipolar girl in highschool/middle school who was into voodoo.
Just go to God and focus on the Good in the world. It's hard but it's better that way. Satan is a loser, and if you resist him he will flee!
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:19 pm Saul had the Witch of Endor consult Samuel from the realm of the dead, and she was actually frightened and Samuel said stuff like he would in life. Plus he said he was disturbed.
So this is an exception to the rule, how can we tell if there are more exceptions to the rule that the dead can't come back?
1 Samuel 28:7 reveals that Saul sought out a woman that had a 'familiar spirit'.

That's how we know the spirit the witch conjured up was not really the dead prophet Samuel, but her familiar spirit acting as Samuel.

1 Kings 22:20-22
20 And the LORD said, "Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?" And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner.
21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, "I will persuade him."
22 And the LORD said unto him, "Wherewith?" And he said, "I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets." And He said, "Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so."
KJV

That 1 Kings 22 example does away with a lot of the hoopla about demons, evil spirits and ghosts. Some Churches believe that all mention of the Biblical 'spirit' means a demon, not so. In 1 Peter 3, he said Jesus went to hell and preached to the "spirits in prison", which was prophecy from Isaiah 42:7, with leading out prisoners from the prison house and those who sat in darkness. It represents our Lord Jesus during His resurrection preaching The Gospel to the departed spirits of men that lived and died prior to His crucifixion.

In the next 1 Peter 4 chapter, Peter explains why The Gospel was preached to those "spirits in prison":

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

If one listens to Jewish traditions about our God-created makeup and what happens after flesh death, it will be a somewhat fleshy vs. ghost system of belief. But our Lord Jesus opened up more understanding of the matter to us, His Church, via His Apostles, like here with what Peter taught above, and especially by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15.

Eccl 12:5-7
5 Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:
6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
KJV

The above is misunderstood in Jewish traditions, which has trickled over a lot into Christ's Church. Their idea is that "spirit" is like some substance that merely animates a flesh body, even the bodies of all living things. They believe the soul only manifests by that animate spirit in a living fleshy body. That's not what that's actually about though.

Matt 10:28
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him Which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
KJV

Eccl.12:5-7 is actually showing us that the "spirit" which goes back to God Who gave it includes our 'soul', which is about our 'person', our self, our ID you might say. So it's not simply animate spirit, like what even animals have.

Paul in 1 Cor.15 taught that the resurrection is to a "spiritual body". He also said as we have borne the "image of the earthy", we shall also bear the "image of the heavenly", and that flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God, neither does corruption inherit incorruption. We must put off these flesh bodies, just as Eccl.12 revealed, the flesh going back to the earthy elements where it came from. But our spirit (with our soul person) goes back to God Who gave it.

To further cement this idea, Solomon being blessed by God with wisdom, mentioned in that Eccl.12 passage about a "silver cord" being severed at flesh death, with flesh going back to the elements of the earth, and our spirit going back to God. That suggests there is some kind of invisible 'cord' that keeps our flesh and spirit/soul together while alive on this earth. And when it is severed, the two parts go their separate ways.

Per what our Lord Jesus showed in Matthew 10:28, it is one's soul and body that goes into the future "lake of fire" at the very end. But what kind of body?

Here or There, A Body Is Needed:

Body refers to likeness, an outward image, outward appearance. When Paul said "image of the earthy" that's about our outward flesh appearance, a flesh body, a body of corruption. When he said "image of the heavenly", that means an outward image of the angels, a body of incorruption. What image is that? The image of man, because all angels and flesh men were created in God's Own Image likeness, which is that of a man. So whether we are alive in the flesh, or in the heavenly having put off our flesh, we still need an outward image body. And the body "image of the heavenly" is the "spiritual body" Paul taught in 1 Cor.15.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Davy, then why did this spirit that Saul talked to remind Saul about wrongdoing against God? A bad spirit would try to lead him away from God not towards.
Davy
Familiar Member

Post by Davy »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:04 pm Davy, then why did this spirit that Saul talked to remind Saul about wrongdoing against God? A bad spirit would try to lead him away from God not towards.
Saul specifically wanted to know why God had left him. The familar spirit told Saul why. 1 Kings 22 showed how God will also use spirits to lie to bring forth His Purpose. Not a little thing that He will also use a familiar spirit to show a truth, as in Saul's case. And Saul broke one of God's laws just by getting the witch of Endor to conjure up her familiar spirit.

Also, in case you're wondering who all our Heavenly Father will use, in Isaiah 10 He points to "the Assyrian" as the "rod of Mine anger", which He used upon the rebellious among the house of Israel, and had all ten tribes carried away to Assyria and the land of the Medes. And "the Assyrian" also serves as a moniker for Satan in Isaiah 30:31-33, pointing to how God will even use Satan as a punisher upon the rebellious of His people.