Richard Dawkins view of the "OT God"

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Richard Dawkins view of the "OT God"

Post by claysmithr »

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
According to him, the "OT God" is

Jealous

Petty

Unjust

Unforgiving control-freak

Vindictive

Bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser

Misogynistic

Homophobic

Racist

Infanticidal

Genocidal

Filicidal

Pestilential

Megalomaniacal

Sadomasochistic

Capriciously Malevolent Bully

How would you counter any/all of these accusations?

Thanks.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Richard Dawkins view of the "OT God"

Post by B. W. »

claysmithr wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am
“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

Jealous

Petty

Unjust

Vindictive

Misogynistic

Homophobic

Racist

Infanticidal

Genocidal

Filicidal

Pestilential

Megalomaniacal

Sadomasochistic

Thanks.
To the proud and pompous, he is all those things above...

Deut 32:3-4 ," For I proclaim the name of the LORD: Ascribe greatness to our God. 4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He. ." NKJV

Psa 145:8, The LORD is gracious and full of compassion, Slow to anger and great in mercy. NKJV

Job 34:10-12, "Therefore listen to me, you men of understanding: Far be it from God to do wickedness, And from the Almighty to commit iniquity. 11 For He repays man according to his work, And makes man to find a reward according to his way. 12 Surely God will never do wickedly, Nor will the Almighty pervert justice." NKJV

To those who turn to him, find new life...

The choice is up to person to make
-
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If Dawkins is correct, then God would have destroyed him years ago.
If God doesn't exist then Dawkins has spend much of his life raving and arguing against nothing.
Either way, you have to kind of feel sorry for Dawkins when he goes on these silly tirades.
Thank goodness he seems to have out grown this childlessness.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

claysmithr wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am

Jealous

Petty

Unjust

Vindictive

Misogynistic

Homophobic

Racist

Infanticidal

Genocidal

Filicidal

Pestilential

Megalomaniacal

Sadomasochistic

Thanks.
1) What are his thoughts on Jesus?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

I feel bad for posting this, since I realized that Dawkins is basically a professional troll. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

I looked up what Dawkins thinks about Jesus, and he thinks that Jesus would've been an Athiest if he lived in our time, which shows a profound lack of biblical knowledge on Dawkins account.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

claysmithr wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 pm I feel bad for posting this, since I realized that Dawkins is basically a professional troll. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

I looked up what Dawkins thinks about Jesus, and he thinks that Jesus would've been an Athiest if he lived in our time, which shows a profound lack of biblical knowledge on Dawkins account.
Don't feel bad, what Dawkins says of God in the OT is a common vein Atheists love to vampire upon.

Yet, many Atheists think fondly of Jesus, a "shining star" that cut through many otherwise social norms and prejudicial bs of his day, who nonetheless saturated by the period of time in which He lived. Hence why Dawkins believes Jesus would be Atheist if he had lived today. ;)

Yet then, Dawkins in light of his comments about the OT God, needs to seriously answer some questions that don't add up.

Jesus was a Rabbi with followers, right? He fully studied, even understood the Jewish Scriptures clearly, even believed in them did He not? Did Jesus at any point reject the Scriptures? And yet, everyone wants to accept Christ (and indeed rightly should) was one of the best and wisest humanitarians who lived! That doesn't add up.

Now, by comparison to Dawkins, or even myself as Christian or theological as I am, I have nothing on Jesus' understanding of the OT Scriptures aka the Tanakh. And yet, we have Jesus coming out of that foundation as the direct opposite of everything Dawkin's attributes to the God of the OT. That doesn't make any sense. Someone brainwashed by such, shouldn't be like Jesus but rather Stalin, Hitler or something much, much worse. Right?

Perhaps, just perhaps, Dawkins and many Atheists who attribute so much evil to the God of the OT are missing something. Maybe the answers can be had in Jesus' own words, the books of prophets in the OT, and the teachings of His own disciples who taught others after Christ. These teachings that are now found in the repository of books that comprise our New Testament.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

claysmithr wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 pm I feel bad for posting this, since I realized that Dawkins is basically a professional troll. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

It's widely known that Dawkins is a poor theologian.
What he's good at is biology, and I saw some old vid of his' once where he was open to deism. That's right-even he sees the idea of a creator-though he prefers atheism for some reason that I forgot.